Dragging Toes....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Yankee In NC

Reaction score
[SIZE=10pt]I am looking at purchasing a 2.5 yr old mini that has been rescued from bad situation. He was not getting the nutrition that he needed. He is fairly thin but fattening up quickly. [/SIZE]

My main concern is that every few steps or so he will drag his rear hoof bilaterally...

What does this mean?

He is a very pretty animal and I would love to get him. My first and so far only mini is in need of a pasture mate and I think this would be a good opportunity to give a horse in need a good home

My guess would be that the problem is related to the stifle which is locking.

I am no expert but it just sounds like a locking stifle.

I am not exactly sure what you are describing, but sometimes it is ralated to hoof length issue rathan than a stifle issue.

You can have a horse with a long toe and/or run under heels that will cause it to duck walk/waddle in the rear. It's almost as if they have a pair of clown shoes on and have to walk with the toe in the air or it will drag across the ground due to its length.

Regardless, take someone with experience with you to look the horse over.

If it is a hoof issue, it can be usually be corrected, but not overnight. Takes a lot of little trims or rasping to get those feet where they need to be.

Carolyn

Dragging high feet is usually a stifle issue. With what you're describing, could just be a lack of conditioning or if the high end looks really straight you could have a locking stifle.

Could very well be a nutritional problem.

My rescue horse had a dragging foot. Two chiropractic visits made a huge difference. His hind end was so stiff, he was not using his body correctly. His shoulder was also totally out of place. I also got some excercises to work with him from a trainer. Not sure if it was the same problem you are describing, but if yours seems generally healthy and has a nice temperament, you could have some satisfaction in working with him. Proper trimming is absolutely important. I have mine done every 4 to 5 weeks.

I've had my horse for a year and his trimmer is starting to be pleased about his hooves. It takes a long time to grow a good hoof, and as my horse gets more flexible and more balanced, his hoof trimming needs change. His most recent chiropractic visit was two weeks ago. The last walks we've taken he has not dragged his hind foot. Yay!!

One of my horses did that because she was raised in a stall with not enough out time. Now that she is driving she doesn't do it any more. But, Yours could be the same but it could be more.

Latest posts

Back