Dogs in our fields! Stalking the mares!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Field-of-Dreams

Reaction score
Jane has found dogs twice in our fields this week. Tuesday morning they were harassing our male llama. It's this yellow dog that has been bothering us since we moved here three years ago. It's a nasty thing, growls at us and our dogs. He goes and gets the dogs across the street to join him. We've warned our neighbors this won't be tolerated. Especially with foals due!

He won't bother us anymore. Jane called me this morning and told me not to let my dogs out, the dogs were right by my house! Once they moved into the hayfield, Jane nailed him. Hopefully with Yella gone, the others will stay away. I feel bad for him, but MY animals come first. If his people would have been at all concerned, he would have been tied up.

Shoot, shovel, shut up. He's deep in the back of our property now..... and won't other us any longer.

Lucy

This just makes me sad, and not what you did but because you had to do it. Pets are a big responsibility and I wish more people took it seriously. We had the same problem when we moved here. I ended up outside in the dark, naked cause 2 dogs snuck into our yard and started chasing the horses. Our 2 outside dogs started fighting with them and I ended up coldcocking one with a shovel to get him to stop fighting with my dog. Knocked him for a real loop and haven't seen him outside of his own yard since! lol. My clyde stomps at any dogs that aren't ours so no one even attempts the pasture. Our foaling paddock is completely surrounded in pagewire fence and the gates are fixed so they sweep the ground. The only thing that can get in there are our skinnier cats. Alot more peace of mind that way. Anyways, glad you solved your problem. Poor dog, too bad his owners never cared about him. :no:

Sorry it came to that. We have one neighbor that know matter what you ask them to do about there dogs they dont. We even put a fence up between property so they go under or around and come in.I have know use for people who are not responsible for there dogs running free.

As an animal lover (of all kinds) it is horrible to be put in the position to have to do that, but you did the right thing. The owners apparently did not care enough, and it is obvious from his behavior, and packing up with the neighbors dogs, that he had evil intent on his mind.

Sorry you had to do that, it is hard, but my gosh, can you imagine what would happen with little foals running around playing? That really sets the dogs off.

What do you mean by nailed him?

I DO understand that your animals come first completly but please before you nail another dog consider calling your local animal control or Authorties
default_smile.png

I DO understand that your animals come first completly but please before you nail another dog consider calling your local animal control or Authorties
default_smile.png

Dead. Shot. And our animal control is useless. I called for a starving mare on the property next door. Barely surviving. Jane called, too. As did our other neighbors. She is STILL THERE. I even called an equine rescue. It's been months. And by the time they got here anyways, the dogs would be long gone.

Our neighbors have been warned- if your dog is on my property, it will not come home. They chose not to believe me. In Texas, it is legal to defend your livestock. We did. The neighbors do the same thing. We've done it before when the dog across the street was stalking a mare. And we'll do it again, if we have to.

We found these same dogs several months ago going after my FOALS. If it wasn't for our guardian llama, they'd be gone. Jane didn't have her rifle with her, and it was dark, so she just chased them off.

Ask Tony to show you pictures of his horses. Top Cat missing an ear. The one poor fellow who was almost castrated. The dead ones. I was lucky, I got rid of my problem before it did damage.

Lucy

default_smile.png
I have had a dog attack one of my horses a few years ago. I tried going to animal control and nothing helped. The dog came back and got the larger horse on the next property over. It wasn't a pretty sight and the horse had to be put down.

Yvonne went to the dog owner and they themselves took care of the dog right there. If you live in an area with livestock you must be a responsible owner. That being said my dogs are my family but I would not hesitate to S S S if they went after any livestock. I live in a rural area and all my neighbors know how we feel.

Last edited by a moderator:
<snip>

I have had a dog attack one of my horses a few years ago. I tried going he animal control and nothing

helped. The dog came back and got the larger horse on the next property over. It wasn't a pretty sight and the horse had to be put down.

<snip>

The last time i had a dog after my ponies I first caught him and returned him home with a warning that I am a good aim. The next time i caught him and called animal control. The third time I caught him and called animal control. The fourth time i called and animal control told me to take him home and if he came back i should shoot him. The fifth time he laid open my mare's backside and it took hours to stitch her back up.

SSS

The dogs owners had a new dog, running loose, by the end of the week. :ugh:
default_crybaby.gif
:

I still try to catch the dogs first. I still try to talk to the owners, and if that doesn't work I call animal control. But if they are actively chasing the horses that is it, they are history.

Thankfully *knock on wood* I have only had to do it once and I bawled like a baby for days, for the dog and for my poor mare. It seems like this is a never ending problem. You know, I have three dogs and I have no problem keeping them home where they belong and away from my horse even though they live here... I don;t see why it so hard for other people to keep their dogs home and safe where they belong. I don't keep my dogs home because i am worried about the neighbors animals getting hurt by them, I keep them home because I LOVE MY DOGS and i want to keep them SAFE!!!! It is a dangerous world out there for dogs running loose... I just don't understand why people don;t keep them home.

You did the right thing. It is illegal in our county to have a dog chasing livestock, if seen on a persons property the owner can shoot that animal. And it has been done. Too many people tip toe around saying call animal control. Folks Animal Control doesn't have the time or resources to meet everyone's needs. There are TOO MANY NEGLEGENT people in this world, and sometimes we have to take matters in our own hands.

If he went after animals, and growled and humans, he would have been put down by animal control and NOT adopted out, so his outcome came earlier and he didn't have to sit in the pound for three days.

I have called animal control for our problem you either have to have pictures and thats hard when you have 35 acres to patrol and woods were the dogs can be and then run out and cause problems . The other is to trap the dogs it has been 2 years and they still have not brought out traps for us to use even after several calls.

You did what you had to do. Animal control will do nothing for you here. I tried it once. They said

they would come and get the dog if it was tied up. I told them if the dog was tied up at home it would not be a problem. I tried to catch the dog but could not. Finally, a neighbor helped me chase it out of the pasture and back down the road. I went to the neighbors and told them their dog had been chasing my horses and

if it did it again it was a dead dog. The dog never got loose again. The neighbors made sure it stayed put.

At least these people cared enough to make sure the dog did not get out again. I wish more people were like that.

Freida

It is never a pleasant task to dispose of an animal. BUT if his ignorant owners won't care for him properly and he is stalking your animals there really is little choice.

It all comes down to irresonsible people and of course the animal pays the ultimate price.

You did what you had to do to protect yoru animals.

Good for you and Jane for taking care of it as humanely as you did. There are those that resort to poison and such, and a quick trip to oblivion is as humane as you can be. Glad it worked out for you before your horses suffered.

Stacye

Ask Tony to show you pictures of his horses. Top Cat missing an ear. The one poor fellow who was almost castrated. The dead ones. I was lucky, I got rid of my problem before it did damage.

Good for you and Jane for taking care of it as humanely as you did. There are those that resort to poison and such, and a quick trip to oblivion is as humane as you can be. Glad it worked out for you before your horses suffered.
AMEN! heartbreaking but necessary to keep things from getting worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bravo Lucy. We have too protect our own. Its just a shame we can treat the "owners" that way! OOOPS! Did I say that out loud?

It makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up when I hear about dogs chasing anything!!! I have personally been involved in dogs attacking my horses. I lost 5 minis to dogs several years ago. We had a 6' chainlink fence surrounding our property with railroad ties along the bottom side. The dogs dug under the fence/ties and attacked out horses. Dogs were still chewing on them when animal control showed up. The dogs were put to sleep, the family stated that they were good family dogs who just were out for a little fun. Well, since that day we have a NO DOG policy on our ranch. I have warned all the neighcors and they have warned their friends and other neighbors and we will shoot on site to kill. I have that right and will take full advantage of it. Dog hater?.... No we own a dog. She is kenneled up by the house and is under our supervision (leashed) when outside of the kennel. If I ever caught her chasing my horses she would meet the same fate as any other dogs would. I love all animals but it's my duty to protect my stock.

We have the same laws in Canada-livestock come first! If it's bothering your livestock on your property you have full rights to take care of the problem however way you choose. A gun is the fastest and easiest way to eliminate the problem. wheather it's dogs, coyotes,cats or bears. Even if you have problem deer raiding your crops you can deal with it your way. Althogh I have to say that I wounldn't have buried it on my property. I would have dropped it off on their front porch and let them deal with the disposile.

Although a video camera works wonders if you don't have a gun. Show them the video and if they still let the dog loose, take them to court! Especially if livestock is hurt/killed. You darned tootin I'd be handing them the vet bill!! Their dog, their responsibility.

Stepping off my soapbox now, even though most of you agree with me.

[SIZE=18pt]Sad to say, But this happens here all the time! We are just far enough out of town to be a dumping ground for strays! I have had to shoot (nail) several dogs in the past for attaching our animals! I've called local Animal Control many times in the past and they always say, "If the dog is on your property and chasing your animals, Shoot it, Then call us and we will pick up the body"! So I feel you did the right thing! I have 6 dogs of my own and they never leave our property! [/SIZE]

Bill

You did the right thing. Very glad you did this before one of your animals get killed.

Latest posts

Back