Diet for Mini Recovering from Ulcers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgiegirl

Reaction score
I know this subject has come up time and again. I have read every message regarding ulcers.

I have a gelding, 227 pounds, 33 inches tall that is recovering from ulcers. He was on Gastro Guard for 21 days and has been being built up for about 5 weeks after the GG treatment.

He has been on pure, good quality grass hay, about a quarter cup, a day, of Strategy. He has not lost weight and appears to be rallying from the ulcers. He is also on 4 tsp a day of U Guard.

I am wondering now about the following things - Should I add a small quantity of alfalfa cubes to his diet and how much? Should I give him a small quantity of beet pulp, and how much? Would it be possible for him to be out on the grass pasture for a few minutes a day, and how long? Would ivermectin worming be a detriment at this time? I did worm him with Panacur not long ago with no ill effects.

I know I am asking a lot of questions. I hope that someone, who is very knowledgeable along this line can help me. I put in a call to my vet to try to get info and she has not returned my call.

Thank you to all in advance
default_biggrin.png

IMO the best thing to avoid ulcers is to feed small frequent meals or let them graze on grass everyday. Grazing is definitely best but if you cant do that give them 4 small meals per day instead of 2 big ones. This keeps something in the stomach and keeps stomach acid down.

I would not make any big feed changes right now.

Also always be sure if you work him its not on an empty stomach as that aggravates ulcers

Best wishes

Kay

With my mare who had chronic ulcers, after having her scoped, my vet told me to put her on Nutrena Safechoice. She also was on Ulcerguard for 4 weeks of a full dose and then 2 weeks of half dose. I did place her in a pet home at the end of her Ulcerguard and she has been fine for the last couple of years.

Good luck!

Barbie

Everything I have read suggests that alfalfa is ideal for ulcers... the high calcium content helps buffer. I would suggest that you could feed up to 50% of diet as alfalfa. I'm a big one for 50-50% alfalfa and grass hay.

Andrea

Latest posts

Back