Cutting teeth?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O So

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

O So is cutting in some new teeth. I was wondering if that could cause him to have diarrhea? Reason I ask is he has had it off and on for 2 weeks now. Meaning I noticed it, then it started to get solid again, then it got loose again, on and off like that for the last 2 weeks. I haven't changed anything in his diet. Pippin is getting the same diet and he is fine.

I did switch him to the Purina mini feed a few months ago, but he was fine for the first bag and part of the second. So I don't think it is that. Only thing new is he has been cutting new teeth for the last few weeks. I can't take his temp because I don't have a thermometer yet. I am going to go get one tomorrow. I don't think he sick as far as that goes though, he acts fine. Just has loose stools, sometimes kind of liquidy to sometimes almost solid.

I will call the vet if you guy's think it is something I should be concerned about. I was just thinking it was the teeth though?

I never noticed mine having that problem when they cut teeth. It could be the cause, but I'd think sand would be the problem. You spread hay around on the ground for them to eat right? Do you put it on mats, or on the dirt? He may be getting dirt with his hay. I have noticed that my Jelly Bean will sometimes do this and always treat for sand. That may not be the cause, but it doesn't hurt. Good Luck!

I never noticed mine having that problem when they cut teeth. It could be the cause, but I'd think sand would be the problem. You spread hay around on the ground for them to eat right? Do you put it on mats, or on the dirt? He may be getting dirt with his hay. I have noticed that my Jelly Bean will sometimes do this and always treat for sand. That may not be the cause, but it doesn't hurt. Good Luck!

Ok, I went and picked up some Sand Clear. The directions say 1 to 1.5 scoops for a 1000 lb horse. What in the world would I give a 150 lb horse?? 2 or 2 pellets? LOL I'm not sure exactly how big the scoop that came with the Sand Clear is, but it looks to be maybe a 3/4 of a cup. I can check it before I use it. Anyway, I was thinking of just giving a 1/4 of that scoop to the boys. You guy's think that will be ok? I don't want to over dose them!!!

OH, and yes I do spread hay on the dirt. It is loose dirt too. Should I quit doing that or can I just treat for sand every other month or something like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I should have told you a cheaper way to get rid of sand. My Bad
default_no.gif
From this forum I learned to use the human equivenent of sand clear.

2 Tablespoons (1/8 c) of Psyllium Fiber for 7 days once a month. You can get the fiber from Walmart, Equate brand, unflavored, sugar free. You can also use Metamucil ($$). As long as it's Psyllium fiber.

I mix it with about 3 heaping TBS applesauce and they gobble it up. Lexy likes the orange flavored kind, but Jelly Bean doesn't. You can topdress their pellets dry, or mix it with something they like. It gets gummy, so I go ahead and mix it with applesauce. I only give it every other month. It's hard to remember!

That said, I would think 1/4 the dose of Sand Clear for a large horse is ok. I never heard too much fiber is bad LOL! Use that up and go for the cheaper remedy.

If it keeps being a problem, you may rethink the spreading of hay on the dirt....

For 2 horses, 3 feeding stations is enough.

I put hay in both (open) stalls and one pile in a feeding tub away from the stalls.

I just went and got 3 stall mats to put in the feeding tub area because Jelly Bean scoots all the hay out of the tub and eats it off the ground. LOL these little guys keep us on our toes!

Good luck!

Sorry, I should have told you a cheaper way to get rid of sand. My Bad
default_no.gif
From this forum I learned to use the human equivenent of sand clear.

2 Tablespoons (1/8 c) of Psyllium Fiber for 7 days once a month. You can get the fiber from Walmart, Equate brand, unflavored, sugar free. You can also use Metamucil ($$). As long as it's Psyllium fiber.

I mix it with about 3 heaping TBS applesauce and they gobble it up. Lexy likes the orange flavored kind, but Jelly Bean doesn't. You can topdress their pellets dry, or mix it with something they like. It gets gummy, so I go ahead and mix it with applesauce. I only give it every other month. It's hard to remember!

That said, I would think 1/4 the dose of Sand Clear for a large horse is ok. I never heard too much fiber is bad LOL! Use that up and go for the cheaper remedy.

If it keeps being a problem, you may rethink the spreading of hay on the dirt....

For 2 horses, 3 feeding stations is enough.

I put hay in both (open) stalls and one pile in a feeding tub away from the stalls.

I just went and got 3 stall mats to put in the feeding tub area because Jelly Bean scoots all the hay out of the tub and eats it off the ground. LOL these little guys keep us on our toes!

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip. I paid 23 bucks for the sand clear, but I don't mind if it will help O So!

As far as spreading the hay, the only reason I started doing it was because I felt bad that they don't get to graze on pasture. I figured this would give them that type of atmosphere. If it keeps getting O So's stomach messed up, I will try to build a couple slow feeders. Maybe place one in one yard and another in the other yard. I wanted to make a couple anyway, so this is a good excuse to get on it! LOL

Thanks for the help, I will let you know how he does on the sand clear!

Latest posts

Back