Cushings disease

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
I have a mare here that has some issues going on. I'm thinking endocrine problem and wonder if it might be Cushings? I'll have my vet out to check her when he returns after Thanksgiving.

There's lots of literature on this, so I'd recommend doing some research, but here are some of the symtoms. All, some, or one of the following may be present.

Excessive thirst

Excessive urination

Thick wavy coat that doesn't shed out properly

Loss of muscle tone on the top-topline

Can cause a sway back and/or pot bellied look

Chronic laminitis

Increased appetite

In some mares it can mess with their cycles

In some mares and stallions it can make them completely sterile

weakens immune system so it can open them up to other illnesses/problems

thyroid problems

Thanks, Matt. I have been reading up on it and I'm not sure that's what it is, but I'm suspicious. This mare has a few of the symptoms, but not all. Curious as to what others have found symptom wise in their horses.

I have 3 mares here now with Cushings.Have had 2 in the past also.1 of those was dam of 2 sisters who have it now.Another full sister is fine. 22 yr old unrelated mare has very long hair and doesn't shed out even in hot weather.Hair texture changed drasticly-very fine and long.Eats good excessive drinking somewhat lethargic.Is on Pergolide daily.Pinto mare 19 has long hair&doesn't shed out and very thick fat deposit on neck.Is on Heiro herbal supplement from vet in PA. Pinto mare 17 had mild laminitis fine now good weight no issues.Very long hair-doesn't shed out.Is on Heiro also.It is a puzzling disease.Best bet is to have blood work done.,but it doesn't always show in tests.One mare many years ago I was sure had it-tests showed nothing.I donated her to U of PA vet hospital and necropsy showed the tumor.Good luck -it takes some special management, but it is doable.I keep my mares clipped so they can manage hot weather.

Becky, I have 2 mares who have Cushings, and several in my herd who are insulin resistant. All are managed and 'healthy' now, although the management is ongoing and requires periodic tweaking. Some of the symptoms overlap, but it is important to understand the differences. Check out this web site, which is a fabulous resource for all things Cushings/IR.

www.ecirhorse.com

It is based on more than 10 years of intensive research on thousands of horses, and overseen by respected veterinary and other professionals. I totally trust this source.

Good luck with your mare, and if you want to chat privately, I would be happy to.

Hi,

If you are wondering I would have the vet run the bloodwork for Cushings, although not 100%, is a good guideline. We found out our pony had cushings from a blood test the vet ran while we were trying to save his life after a bad founder. The bloodwork came back positive for cushings, a week after we lost the pony. We had no reason to suspect this pony was cushings.. He had a normal slick coat, was not obese, and everything was normal. Only tested him after he foundered. He was fit, slick and gorgeous and had no symptoms.

My ex-vet quoted that 75-80 percent of ponies become cushings when aged.... I googled this topic a bunch and found quite the huge variaty of opinion over the internet... One theory is that there is a link between over vaccination (vaccinosis) and cushings. Also mentioned the problem of giving the same amount of vaccine to a 1500 lb horse and a 200lb mini. My senior pony was given to me and the vet insisted on a full series of vaccinations at one month intervals. At the end of the vaccines, my pony foundered and was cushings according to the bloodwork. Had I had to do it over again, I do believe my old pony would have stood a better chance if we had not given so many shots in such a short period of time, just my opinion, please don't fry me. Good luck and best wishes.
default_saludando.gif

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm doing a lot of research and hopefully, with the help of my vet, I can get to the bottom of this and figure out what is going on.

Just wanted to clarify for anyone interested in this subject that Hosscrazy's yahoo group is the same resource as the web site I sited yesterday. www.ecirhorse.com You can go to the site first, then join the group to ask your specific questions. There is virtually no 'chatting', just fact filled answers and wonderful support.

Our minis are a breed that is prone to Insulin Resistance, especially. And this group been an immense help in assisting me to get a handle on it for my herd.

Latest posts

Back