Could someone please tell me what color this filly is??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nnadams

Reaction score
We had our 4th foal of the year, 3rd filly, on April 22. Her dam is registered as a sorrel but she is a much darker mohogany color. The dam came to us last fall already bred to a a blue eyed silver perlino pinto. The resulting filly has pink rimmed dark blue eyes. Here are a couple of pictures of her about 12 hours old:

silver1.jpg

silver4.jpg

Any help with her color would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
default_smile.png

She must be smoky silver black (smoky silver dapple) Cool! Congrats!

Hmm looks like a silver dapple to me or silver black

I don't know anything about color, but she is beautiful. I love her.

She looks silver black to me.

Cute! Congrats!

Andrea

The reason I say she is "smoky" silver black is because her sire is said to be a perlino, therefore she MUST be carrying a cream gene too.
default_smile.png

Thanks for the help everyone. I wish I understood how the color genes worked, but I just can't get it. I do not understand how black could be in her color at all by looking at her!
default_doh.gif

Thanks for the help everyone. I wish I understood how the color genes worked, but I just can't get it. I do not understand how black could be in her color at all by looking at her!
default_doh.gif

The silver gene is a color-modifying gene, just like the cream gene is-- a cream gene on a sorrel horse makes it a palomino. A cream gene on a bay horse makes it a buckskin. So a silver gene on a black horse makes it a lighter color, "silver". Clear as mud?
default_smile.png

I love your filly's little face, and that blaze is just DARLING.
default_wub.png

Congratulations on your new foal! She looks like a regular silver dapple (silver black) but if her sire is in fact a silver perlino, that means he must throw the cream gene in all his foals, and by doing so, that would make her a smokey silver black.

default_doh.gif

The silver gene is a color-modifying gene, just like the cream gene is-- a cream gene on a sorrel horse makes it a palomino. A cream gene on a bay horse makes it a buckskin. So a silver gene on a black horse makes it a lighter color, "silver". Clear as mud?
default_smile.png

I love your filly's little face, and that blaze is just DARLING.
default_wub.png
All of that in print makes sense to me, but when I look at her dam and look at her sire and look at her, I just don't see how she can be black underneath that modifying gene. Nothing looks black about her at all. We had a smoky black filly last year born on this same day and I could see she was a black with a modifying gene playing with her coloring. This filly looks slightly champagne or silvery tan or I don't know... I am sorry, I think I am a lost cause!
default_frusty.gif

All of that in print makes sense to me, but when I look at her dam and look at her sire and look at her, I just don't see how she can be black underneath that modifying gene. Nothing looks black about her at all. We had a smoky black filly last year born on this same day and I could see she was a black with a modifying gene playing with her coloring. This filly looks slightly champagne or silvery tan or I don't know... I am sorry, I think I am a lost cause!
default_frusty.gif

No, you're not a lost cause.
default_smile.png
Silver is a very confusing gene. There have been a whole lot of people confused by it, me included.
default_laugh.png
Silver isn't seen in most "big horse" breeds, so it's pretty unique. And horse colors can be complicated, period. Just do a little research and give yourself some time, and before long you will be rattling off horse color genes like you've been doing it all your life!
default_wink.png

Looking at her and given the color of the parents, she must be smokey silver black
default_yes.gif
:yes
default_yes.gif

default_frusty.gif

No, you're not a lost cause.
default_smile.png
Silver is a very confusing gene. There have been a whole lot of people confused by it, me included.
default_laugh.png
Silver isn't seen in most "big horse" breeds, so it's pretty unique. And horse colors can be complicated, period. Just do a little research and give yourself some time, and before long you will be rattling off horse color genes like you've been doing it all your life!
default_wink.png

Thank you very much for your words of encouragement, Magic!
default_saludando.gif

And with so many unanimous replies, I am convinced she is a SMOKEY SILVER BLACK, no matter what I think she looks like!
default_yes.gif

I agree with the others.....she appears to be a Smokey Silver Black (Silver Dapple). They don't "look" black at all....and I think that is what's confusing you. They are typically born a light grayish tan, or "taupe" color. They will shed out to a shade of gray...usually with dapples. The manes & tails will turn silvery white (if not already that color at birth)

Silver Blacks are simply a black horse who has gotten the Silver gene. The Silver gene lightens black colors, just as the creme gene lightens :winkcolors.

BTW......I don't see her eyes as "pink rimmed". They look very dark rimmed to me. "dark rimmed" refers to the color of the skin around the eye.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the others.....she appears to be a Smokey Silver Black (Silver Dapple). They don't "look" black at all....and I think that is what's confusing you. They are typically born a light grayish tan, or "taupe" color. They will shed out to a shade of gray...usually with dapples. The manes & tails will turn silvery white (if not already that color at birth)
Silver Blacks are simply a black horse who has gotten the Silver gene. The Silver gene lightens black colors, just as the creme gene lightens :winkcolors.

BTW......I don't see her eyes as "pink rimmed". They look very dark rimmed to me. "dark rimmed" refers to the color of the skin around the eye.

Thank you for the further convincing because "a light grayish tan, or "taupe" color" is exactly what she looks like!

And if she turns out to be a silver dapple, we will be so THRILLED!!!
default_risa8.gif

My 10 year old daughter has been really wanting a silver dapple and that would be a clencher excuse for getting to keep her!!!
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

Also, I said "pink rimmed" because all the foals born here so far have had the black eyeliner looking eyes and this one has pink skinned looking rimmed eye lids....

Here is a picture of her sire. These picturea come from Melissa Bynum of Paint By Numbers Ranch where we got the mare from:

DSC02492-1.jpg

Here is a picture of one of his eyes:

th_DSC02555-2.jpg

I thought her eyelids might look like this. Her eyes are blue, but not that light. Might they still turn brown?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back