Costa Rica

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt73

Reaction score
We're already thinking about our winter vacation. Kev wants to go back to Puerto Vallarta as he didn't get a chance to go last year. But, I'm thinking about something new. Has anyone on here been to Costa Rica? Any ideas/experiences regarding which cities/towns/resorts to stay in. We'd like to be on/near a really nice beach and be able to do all the cool wildlife tours etc. Thanks
default_smile.png

Matt, My son lived in Costa Rica for a year, when he attended the University for Peace,

for one of his Master's Degrees.

He loved it there. You could pick fresh fruit right off the trees.

Beautiful weather, wonderful trips thru the canopy & gorgeous beaches

when they had off time, plus San Jose has the biggest mall in Central America.

I will send him a note and see what he could suggest for highlights.

My husband and I were in Costa Rica this past February, vacationing and visiting one of our best friends from college, who has dual citizenship (lucky girl!), and runs a custom tour business. We stayed with her in the town of La Fortuna near the Arenal volcano, and day-tripped from there. It is gorgeous, and there is no end of things to do, whether you want to hang out on the beach, go bird and wildlife watching, or do the adventurous rafting/rappelling stuff. The night hike to watch lava at the volcano is not to be missed! Check out absoluteexpertscr.com if you like to work with a planner, or just buy a plane ticket and wing it-we're already planning our next trip:)

as a travel agent I send alot of clients to Costa Rica and have never had anyone not like it, just alot to see and do, alot of nature, high standard of living and education....many Americans also retire there.

I visited Costa Rica a couple times while in Peace Corp. I highly recommend Manuel Antonio National Park, it is on a Pennisula and can not be reached when the tide is in. Beautiful nature walks, Beautiful beaches with waves on one side and a cove still as glass with white beaches on the other. Can find resorts or hotels in just about any price range (ours came to $5 a night!).

Thanks everyone. Thanks "minglewood". I just spoke with Kev and one main reason he likes the idea of going back to PVR is that he has cell phone service there and the last time he was in Costa Rica he didn't (that was 8 or 9 years ago). That must have changed by now, no?

Michael says there is definitely cell service in CR.

As a starving student he said he'd never gotten to the Caribbean side only the Pacific side.

He sent this note today:

The place is about the coolest place I have ever stayed

anywhere - www.tabacon.com.

Other places to check out: Monteverde cloud forest and town, Cafee

Britt coffee plantation, Dominical, Tamarindo and Malpais are nice to

places to see on the west coast (in order of fewest hours of getting

there).

http://costa-rica-guide.com/travel/ seems to be the best resource.

Hope that is of some help .... Nancy

Thanks Nancy! So helpful. The Tabacon looks heavenly
default_yes.gif
If I can get Kev to go and relax...maybe this will be our best vacation yet
default_wink.png
I think the cell service is like when Kev went to Japan; yes, there is cell service but your cell won't work there; you have to buy/rent one while you're there. Am I right on that?

I will ask Michael about the cell service.

I bought international phone cards and kept the minutes

filled, so he could call home and I could call him.

He came back in 2006 and my memory fails me if he called on his

cell or a land line.

Editied to add:

He sent me this link he found on cell phone service in CR

http://www.therealcostarica.com/technology_costa_rica/cell_phones.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back