Conversations from the barn

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
Conversations In The Barn

Cam: Skillet......hey Skillet....Skillet you a'wake yet?.....Skillet? Are you still sleeping?

Skillet: Cam, what the hay.....didnt it look like I was sleeping?

Cam: But you were standing up....I just thought...

Skillet: I always sleep standing up stupid!

Cam: Oh sorry, why do you sleep standing up?

Skillet: What the heck, Cam...its a holiday...cant I have one morning with out you yacking at me!!

Cam: What does yacking mean? and whats a holiday anyway?

S'Mores: I know what a holiday is

Holly: Oh,this ought to be a good one....cant wait to hear this...ole' wise one!!

S'mores: I heard the old man around here say once that he leaves on holidays because "someone around here has to bring home the bacon" so I think it has something to do with the bacon store.

Cam: Whats bacon?

Skillet: You dont want to know.

S'mores: I'll tell ya what bacon is. You know that cute little animal with the curly tail...its called a pig and when it grows up, like you Cam, a big man comes out and grabs him by the curly tail and chops....

Holly: holy crap S'Mores STOP that right now...zip it will ya!! you'll scar him for life!!

Cam: What does zip it mean and what is a scar for life?

SilverBelle: Dont pay any attention to him Cam....S'mores is one flake shy of a bale...at least thats what the crazy lady says!! how did anyone get any sleep last night with all the booms and bangs next door.

Popcorn: I'd rather have the booms and bangs than the crazy lady making us listen to James Taylor music turned up as loud as the boom box can tolerate. I hate that Sweet Baby James song!

Peanut: I think crazy lady thought that if the music was turned up nice and loud we wouldnt hear the booms and bangs

Cam: Whats a Boom and Bangs

Skillet: Cam will you shut up....what, what, what....is that all you can say?

SilverBelle: Skillet stop being so rude......it sounds like someone got up on the wrong side of the shavings today!!

Popcorn: I'm just happy we all got extra hay...and that makes me a happy horse.

Nick: Happy horse!! I'll show you a happy horse...good morning girls....how are all my ladies today...sleep well? miss me?? If you all would allow I'll gladly show all of you what a boom and a bang is really all about!!

Cam: Will someone please tell me about Booms and Bangs!!

Nick: Its what happens when the crazy lady lets me play with the girls. See its like this....

Holly: Nick, stop this talk right now, you know better than to talk like that to a yearling. Besides its not polite to kiss and tell.

Nick: Does that mean I cant tell Cam that you like it when I......

Holly: Nicky, I mean it, NOT ONE MORE WORD!!

Nick: O.K. but stop yelling

Popcorn: Hey is anyone else around here hungry...all this chatter and I'm starvin'

SilverBelle: I think the crazy lady is making us a special holiday breakfast

Cam: A bacon breakfast?

Popcorn: I doubt very much that bacon will be on the menu stupid!

SilverBelle: I wish you guys would stop calling him stupid and just be nice for once!!

Peanut: I wonder which color halter the crazy lady will make us wear today.

Nick: I always have to wear the purple one...cause Im royalty around here!!

Skillet: Yeah, a royal pain in the butt.....and spoiled....your highness!!

Peanut: We used to have different color halters for every holiday but when all you guys moved in now the crazy lady says that she cant buy holiday halters for everyone...it cost too much...its just not fair!!

S'mores: Yeah, remember last Christmas, I had to wear the red white and blue one!!! Talk about feeling like a black sheep!

Cam: Whats a black sheep feel like?

SilverBelle: SSShhhhh....i hear the crazy lady

Cam: I dont hear anything

Skillet; Clean out your ears.....she's in the feed room.

Crazy Lady: Good Morning my little munchkins. how is everyone? Happy 4th of July to you all!!

Cam: hey Skillet, Whats a 4th of July?

Skillet: This is going to be a looonnnggg day..I can tell!!

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY FROM OUR BARN TO YOURS!!!! oh, and Cam says, Happy bacon Day Too!!!

So I am not alone!

A few years ago Faith and Sunny both coliced due to neighbor's fireworks. Not just the fireworks but their grandkids screaming and grandpa shining a spotlight constantly over at our place to see "where the fireworks landed." I never figured that one out. After a $180 vet bill we play loud music in the barn on fireworks holidays to hopefully distract the horses. I noticed that your horses do not have potty mouths. Admittingly one of ours cusses like a drunk sailor. Their tastes in music varies but we try to accomodate all of them. We have not found a one of them that can appreciate Indian flute music though. It gives them a case of the nerves. Steve Earle and Stevie Ray Vaughn pretty much satifies all of them. One is into Jeff Healy and Robert Cray. One of them only likes to hear chics sing. She really does like Nanci Griffith, Diana Krall, Bonnie Raitt, and Nora Jones. One has a cowboy heart and loves to listen to Ian Tyson.
default_giveup.gif

default_whistling.gif
I got some real dirty looks this morning when I went out to feed! Our family went out on the boat last night and sat on the river with a thousand other people and watched the yearly fireworks display that was shot off from a huge barge. It was awesome! Got home about 11:30. Of course, I made sure all the kids had plenty of hay in their nets before I left. The neighbors around my place get crazy with the fireworks every year and although mine have gotten better about it, it makes me wonder every year what they think when they hear and see those crazy noises and bright lights shooting in the air and exploding.

They had breakfast this morning and seemed a little frazzled but ok...fingers crossed!

I think Im one of the only people that HATE fireworks...dont get me wrong i dont mind the loud noises and they are beautiful but just so dangerous. Every year there are just too many accidents and deaths because of foolish people that are just careless handling them. They just make me to nervous...let the professionals play with them...

Marty suggested the loud radio years ago to me and Ive been doing it ever since. I went out last night and checked on everyone a couple of times and the were all perfectly happy with their hay. On the other hand I was a wreck but more because it was my neighbor who had a huge party and I was afraid of starting a fire.

Last year Peanut was in foal and she was a little upset but this year they all were very comfortable.

Vicki....thanks for reminding me....I love Nora Roberts and Bonnie Raitt....think I need to go get a couple new CDs Thanks

Fireworks is ominous to the animals because they I believe they generally don't look up - the delay between the bang and the lights is enough to not associate them together. But I bring all my kiddos in for 3 nights because I live between three towns. I had fans on last night and the radio pretty loud, and then mother nature decided to storm, so the one town didn't run their fireworks last night.

I'm also one to dislike fireworks. Don't mind the big official ones but hate people shooting them off near homes. We live in a subdivision, but outside city limits, so fireworks are allowed. Considering the horrible fires in Texas last year and Colorado this year and the triple temps we've been dealing with plus the lack of rain, I think it's just plain ignorant for anyone to "celebrate" with what could easily start a fire. My neighbor below me who lives right by my 1 acre pasture and about 30 feet from my stable was shooting stuff for at least an hour. I literally had fireworks right above my dry pasture thank to his aim. This is also the guy who threatened me about my horses last year and then fired his gun right behind the fence by the stable to undermine his threats. Just another wonderful thing you can legally do outside city limits.
default_sad.png

My horses were surprisingly good, my paint seem to actually enjoy the colorful lights and didn't mind the banging sounds as his previous owner did a great job desensitizing him to gunshots. My little one was in the stable, a little nervous but ok as long as her big boyfriend had his head in her stall to calm her down.

My biggest fear besides tornados etc. is fire as I had to witness my childhood home burning and rescuing our horses when I was 12. (it was arson). The house was saved but it was scary nevertheless...

Latest posts

Back