Colour - Smokey Black

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teng

Reaction score
Whenever i mention i have a smokey black filly i always have a 'oh well' 'good luck with that' reaction -

what's wrong with smokey black ??????

Nothing-it is genetically just a buckskin horse without the agouti
default_smile.png
Visually they can look like a black horse without anything else going on or just an "off black" so to speak. I personally like smokey blacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't heard anything contrary about a smoky black.

I love the color and it + silver has not hindered my beautiful stallion, Destiny (Res National Grand Champion / National Champion / Hall of Fame). Gorgeous horse in a really neat color
default_wub.png

We love smokey black mares to cross with our buckskin and grullo stallions!
default_thumbup.gif

I have a smokey black boy that is quite the handsome little man
default_smile.png
. He is the result of my cross with my mare, Lexus (a silver black...obviously heterozygous, as Levi has no silver markings) and Triple K's Double Your Destiny (cremello).

Our stallion is smokey silver black too--very similar in color to Jill's horse--and he has thrown a rainbow of colors.

I think people may be commenting on the shade that some of smokey blacks get that I like to call mouse color. I have two of them on the farm right now but, they dapple nicely. . . And they can change shades too, depending on time of year and condition.

I think I am the queen of smokey blacks and I hate it. I have tried to breed for consistanacy, so they look the same and are the same color, which kind of changes around the nose, different times of the year. They are all George (cremello -perlino whatever) daughters and they produce wonderful brilliant colors, but to me it is the drabbest, washed out looking color.

I have a few that I have not bred as I have to parent qualify and then chip them or somthing because I can't tell them apart.

Edit - Must say though that my smokey blacks are the ones that produce the buckskins, far more than the palomino George daughters. The palominos just get lighter and lighter.

The "mouse" color usually is a smoky black with the silver gene.

I personally love my smoky black mares and they are exactly who I want with my bay stallions to try and get buckskins !

I too love smoky black... We have two: A smoky black homozygous tobiano mare (Annie) that is already crossed with my cremello stallion... Can't wait til next year! 16.67% across the board: Smoky Cream Tobiano, Smoky Black Tobiano, Perlino Tobiano, Buckskin Tobiano, Palomino Tobiano, or Cremello Tobiano... I know cream or smoky cream on white can disappear... but I've seen some stunning smoky cream tobianos... They're subtle but beautiful!

I also have a smoky black filly - wind - who is going to be trained to cart this winter for showing next year...

We have two other 'if's, two daughters of my smoky grulla stallion... He is homozygous black so can only sire black based - need to test the daughters as some days they look smoky, then some days they don't... <g>

Kari

OH!!! I forgot until I just read above. One of our other stallions, DunIT, is smokey grey grullo. So we have TWO smokey blacks, but each with a little pinch of something extra.

Well i love my smokey black girl and i'm glad i'm not alone
default_yes.gif
was beginning to get a bit paranoid about her colour though !

thankyou all for making me feel better about her.

I think my gorgeous Gift filly this year may be smoky black. I'll be testing her as soon as I remember. She looks really 'faded' black in baby pictures, but now that she has shed some areas she is very intense black.

DSC_0099 jpg web.jpg

Personally, it is a color I like because of the 'extra' color genetics she can pass on. Her sire is black tobiano, her dam palomino.

Latest posts

Back