Color Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margaret

Reaction score
I dont mean to sound too ignorant here, but I have a "red chestnut mare" that came from a Silver Bay Buckeroo Granddaughter.. She foaled a filly that was a brownish tan color.

For some reason when I clipped off this filly's darker coat, at 4 months old, she was very light whitish golden color..

I know the stallion couldnt have a cream gene in him, because he was color tested and found to be heterzogyous for black (two black genes)

This whitish golden filly has lihght colored hooves, and black skin..

I keep wondering why this filly appears to be showing cream coloring in her coat..

By the way, the filly I am referring to is pictured in my avatar -at around three weeks of age. (Before clipping)

The only way this could be a cream gene is if my red chestnut mare is hiding a cream gene.

Is that possible?

Thx for any insight..

Two black genes would make the stallion homozygous for black, heterozygous would be one black. This would not effect the creme gene which produces palomino or buckskin.So he could be homozygous for black, and carry a creme gene which would make him "smoky" black.

Creme does not "hide" in red, it would make the red horse a palomino.

No definitive answer here, just possibilitites.

The foal that you are describing could be silver bay,

but without the pictures it's difficult to tell.

You are right Anne, I was told he was Heterozygous for black.. ( so must be just one black gene)

But he (the stallion) tested negitive for the cream gene

In a different lighting she shows more golden highlights in her coat.. But no dark points on her lower legs.

santanaweb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok Margaret,

got that thought,

then from your description and picture,I would say she is silver black, or silver dapple.

The "gold" color is something I have seen in a young silver when clipped out. Their coats have darkened just a bit as the coat grew out.

But she sure does look a light golden color for sure clipped out.

The darker color on her face also makes me think silver.

the only other way for her to be palomino is if her dam who you know is a silver bay is actually a dark palomino, which I doubt because you would likely be able to tell by the color of her legs.

I have had silver foals born here that even my vet "thought" were buckskin because of their "tan" color, but that just wasn't possible and they were in fact clipped and shed out to silver dapples.

She sure is a pretty girl!

Ok thanks Anne,

Then I guess I can I expect her to darken with age..

Her dam is the Red Chestnut, and Her Dams Dam was the Silver Bay..

Just wanted to be able to know why she is so light.. Thanks for the input. :saludando:

I agree....she's a very pretty Silver Dapple (Silver Black).
default_yes.gif
: Silver Dapples are often born a taupe, or tannish-brown color. Then when they are clipped the first time, they are usually a very light & silvery color. Your filly also has the typical dark mask of a Silver Dapple on her face. Their color will come in gradually. When Nickelodeon was born...he was a taupe color. Upon his first clip at 2 months old...was a solid, light silvery/gray. Clipped again at 3 months, and he was still light gray, but covered with big dapples!
default_yes.gif
: As he aged, his body got darker...and in winter coat is almost a chocolate color.

Latest posts

Back