Color Experts?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faithfarm

Reaction score
I am filling out the color genetic testing form for my loud tovero stallion and need to know the color of the dam. She is listed in the AMHA Studbook as RNB, I suspect that means black roan but not sure. The sire is solid bay but is a Rowdy son and has the LWO gene. So what does RNB stand for? I plan to test for LWO and Tobiano, anything else?
veryweb.jpg

Thanks Becky, I thought it was something like that. I checked her pedigree and see a lot of gray, I suspect that she is actually true gray but looked like a blue roan when registered.

Good possibility on the gray. Glad your boy didn't get it.

If I were a gambling man (which I am not) I would bet money on him being LWO positive. But, there are only two ways to be sure. One is by testing and the other is by producing a lethal foal. I'm glad you're testing.

Good possibility on the gray. Glad your boy didn't get it.

If I were a gambling man (which I am not) I would bet money on him being LWO positive. But, there are only two ways to be sure. One is by testing and the other is by producing a lethal foal. I'm glad you're testing.
I'm not a fan of gray, so it's good for him that he's not gray; he would be living somewhere else. I'm almost positive he is LWO, since all in his pedigree are solid. I'm testing for tobiano as well, since the grays can hide anything.

He's definitely tobiano, too! I bet his dam must have been a minimally marked tobiano since I know his sire is not.

I know of one local breeder who has a line of grey horses in their herd but registers all the foals as blue roan.
default_wacko.png
: I would think that would be frustrating for a buyer when their 'blue roan' horse eventually turns white!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

He's definitely tobiano, too! I bet his dam must have been a minimally marked tobiano since I know his sire is not.

I know of one local breeder who has a line of grey horses in their herd but registers all the foals as blue roan.
default_wacko.png
: I would think that would be frustrating for a buyer when their 'blue roan' horse eventually turns white!
default_rolleyes.gif
:
That is exactly what I thought. Those gray horses are sneaky. I'm mailing out the form with LWO, Tobiano, and Red Factor. By the way, I saw your ad on the saleboard, that is a sharp looking colt.

Rick

I just got the results back and he is nT, nO, and Ee. So he is heterozygous for Tobiano, Frame and Black. As a plus, he has some Sabino roaning, so I should get a little color on his foals. His first foal, born 2 weeks ago, from a wildly marked Tobiano + Sabino is solid bay with about 10 white hairs on her forehead. I guess we can safely say that his dam was a pinto before she grayed.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow what a great looking horse. i really like the eyes :bgrin
We're a big fan of blue eyes, and the eyes were an indication that we needed to check for LWO. Now if I can just get him to give me some little ones colored like that.

Latest posts

Back