Color Experts?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faithfarm

Reaction score
I know everyone likes to guess on color and most of the ones I see posted are too easy. So I thought I would submit one that is more difficult. This is Faith Farm Jokers Masquerade, sired by The Joker (sorrel pinto) and out of Faith Farms Wind of the Spirit (silver dapple tovero). Her tail is dark, almost black and I would best describe her color as charcoal with roaning; we registered her as silver dapple pinto. I have not pulled hair for color testing so there are no wrong answers.

Rick

masqueradeprofile.jpg

I would guess that you registered her correctly as a silver pinto.

As for patterns, I would say tobiano and splash and maybe even sabino too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that a clipped photo? I would say black/white. The tail doesn't look like any silver at all to me. I'm no expert though! lol. Are you going to DNA?

Gorgeous horse.

I think she's black pinto (tail looks awfully dark to be silver), I'm not up on pinto patterns enough to take a guess at which pattern(s).

PRETTY!!!!!
default_wub.png
:

not sure on base color, but she definately carries splash. and tobiano. could be more but those two i see for sure.

Ahhhh, good points made about that black tail! I never noticed that...I was too busy looking at the white forelock on the colored face, but I guess maybe the dark was undercut for the show look, and the while is coming from just behinf the colored "medicine hat" type marking??

Ahhhh, good points made about that black tail! I never noticed that...I was too busy looking at the white forelock on the colored face, but I guess maybe the dark was undercut for the show look, and the while is coming from just behinf the colored "medicine hat" type marking??
Thanks for the replies. Masquerade's forelock is white, as is her mane. Her tail is definately dark, too dark for silver dapple IMO but she doesn't appear black and white to me. Someone suggested that the sabino could be changing the color but I don't know about that one.

My guess would be Black Sabino Tovero.
default_yes.gif
:

Deja Vu's first two foals were that color. I was scratching my head for a while too....as they didn't look really black...more of a dark charcoal color. But upon close inspection.....I could see lots of (roan) white hairs scattered all thru the coats, which gave it a charcoal shade.
default_wink.png
:

If there were Cream in the mix the base colour could still be Silver Black.

Add Cream and you tend to inhibit the expression of Silver.

Gorgeous filly no matter what her color!

Beth

No cream anywhere in the background. The sire is sorrel pinto from 2 sorrels and the dam is silver dapple tovero from a bay and silver.

I like Dona's guess, it sounds so much better than silver dapple. At some point, I'll have to test for silver to elimate that possibility; although the dark tail soesn't fit with silver.

Thanks Beth, her color hurts her a little in the show ring but she's doing pretty well despite all the white.

The results are in. All guesses of silver are incorrect, including mine when I registered her. I'm not sure if the SB1 test is for all sabino genes, but what I do know is she is tobiano, not silver, not bay, and not SB1. I still don't know what color she is other than black pinto with roaning.

Rick

Test Results

Horse Name Breed Tobiano Sabino1 Agouti Silver

Faith Farm Jokers Masquerade Miniature Horse nT nn aa nn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Result Guide:

Tobiano

TT Only Tobiano allele detected. The horse tested homozygous for Tobiano.

nT Both Tobiano and non-Tobiano alleles detected. The horse is Tobiano heterozygous.

nn No Tobiano was detected.

Sabino1

Sb1Sb1 Tested homozygous positive (two copies) for the Sabino1 gene mutation.

nSb1 Both normal and Sabino1 alleles detected. Horse tested heterozygous for Sabino1 and carries one copy of the Sabino1 gene mutation.

nn Tested negative for the Sabino1 gene mutation.

Agouti

aa Only recessive allele detected. Black pigment distributed uniformly. The basic color of the horse will be black in the absence of other modifying genes.

Aa Horse tested Heterozygous for Agouti. Black pigment distributed in point pattern. The basic color of the horse will be bay or brown in the absence of other modifying genes.

AA Only nt allele detected. Black pigment distributed in point pattern. The basic color of the horse will be bay or brown in the absence of other modifying genes.

Silver Dilution

ZZ Horse tested Homozygous for Silver Dilution (Two copies of the Silver allele detected). Black-based horses will be chocolate with flaxen mane and tail. Bay-based horses will have pigment on lower legs lightened and flaxen mane and tail. No effect on chestnut color.

nZ Horse tested Heterozygous for Silver Dilution (One copy of the Silver allele detected). Black-based horses will be chocolate with flaxen mane and tail. Bay-based horses will have pigment on lower legs lightened and flaxen mane and tail. No effect on chestnut color.

nn Horse tested negative for Silver Dilution.

The Sabino 1 test only tests for one type of Sabino. It is generally believed there are several types of Sabino. That is why I have not bothered to test mine for Sabino.

By the way, VERY pretty!

Last edited by a moderator:
:aktion033: I'm not surprised at all. Black Sabino.
default_yes.gif
: And the SB1 Sabino tests only for the type of Sabino that produces Max White Sabinos. There are other Sabino genes it doesn't test for...such as the Sabino pattern that is common on Clydesdales! They all test negative for Sabino SB1. I would only test for Sabino if I want to know if a horse could produce Max Whites.
default_wink.png
:

Latest posts

Back