Clipping Tips?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Little Blessing

Reaction score
New Jersey is finally warm enough to clip and my little one is going to be very happy to have all that extra hair that she hasn't shed yet buzzed off. What she might not be so happy about is that I'm the one doing the clipping. She loves to be clipped and is an angel for it, I just don't want ot make her too ugly! I am going to have a helper and everything, but was wondering if anyone had any tips to not leave lines and the like on the poor munchkin. I have been a "hunter princess" for the past 17 years, so I have never clipped a body before, just whiskers. I am going to pick up some fresh blades, coolant and blade wash in the morning, is there anything else I need? (I have the extension cord and bucket and stool and things of that nature.)

Thanks. :D

Boy, when I rode hunters we did hunter clips all the time!!!
default_smile.png

Bath your horse thoroughly before beginning. You can clip wet or dry.

When you first crack open a new blade be sure to wash it in blade wash thoroughly and dry it thoroughly. Oil it before starting and every time you stop to cool it down. One drop of oil on both sides where the blades run - 4 spots.

Keep your blade flat against the skin, don't tip or tilt it.

Use consistent firm, but not hard, pressure, don't lift as you clip.

Use the longest strokes you can, starting and stopping as little as possible.

Clip against the lay of the hair following all the different directions it takes as it curves over the body. Some horses hair lays differently on top than it does on the undercoat - you will discover whether your horse does this or not when you start clipping. This can be frustrating because you can't really tell which direction you really need to clip until after you get the winter coat removed.

For whorls, clip in ALL directions.

Last edited by a moderator:
My horses were always clipped by the grooms. I will admit ot being a little spoiled, but I promise i"m sweet and love to do the work! Just with school during the day, by the time i got to the barn I only had time to jump on, clean tack and go home!

Thanks for the tips. Will I know where to put the oil when i look at the clippers? It's a little confusing to me now, but I think once I pick them up I will know what you mean. And oil is something to buy in addition to the coolant and wash, right?

Oh! I know that the clippers have 10s on them right now, which should be fine for her body, but what size should I do for her face and legs? (I might have someone else do her face, shhhh.)

There is a little flat bar on top and bottom that the blades slide across. You will see it on either side of the blades.

I prefer not to use coolant at all as it dulls the blades quicker and causes buildup of hair and grunge. If you do use coolant, stop and thoroughly dry the blades before reoiling and continuing. I have several sets of blades and when one gets hot, I remove it and set it aside to cool while I continue on with a fresh blade.

The number of blade you use is pretty much your choice depending on how close you want her clipped. If it is for show I use a 10, 15, 30, 40 and 50 on different parts of the face
default_laugh.png
If you are just doing it to tidy her up after the winter I would use only a 10 on her cheeks, forehead and outer ears, leaving her whiskers, lashes, inner ears natural to protect her from the environment.

When your blades get hot....set them on a piece of ceramic tile....they will cool faster.

Blessing will follow you around if you have clippers in hand, a twitch is unnecessary. If needed I have a standard twitch as well as bailing twine at my disposal, though. :D

Oh yay-you're going to clip Blessing!! No twitch necesasry--she is always bummed she's so little and the job's so short.
default_laugh.png

It seems no matter what I do, there are lines left. But, it's the clippers too. One pair I have leaves them, the other doesn't.

I can't remember which.
default_rolleyes.gif

Good luck, Julie! I can't wait to see photos!!

Karla, it's the only time I don't mind putting her on both cross ties, she doesn't go ANYWHERE when the clippers are out.

Of course clipping day has dawned cloudy! Ugh! Bringing the blow dryer to the barn.

Edited to add: I have a pair of Oster A5s to use for the job, anyone use those? Leaving soon. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back