Clipper Help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Lady

Reaction score
I purchased a Wahl Stable Pro Clippers about six months ago, I did not use them for horses last year, but I did use them on my mini Schnauzers. I used the same blade for them for a long time, I had it sharpened and purchased a second blade to prepare for clipping my minis. I bathed my mare allowed her to dry and began clipping, this particular horse does have VERY think hair, and is only 32", so as you can imagine is not all that large. However I went through both blades and she is NOT done! They are both dull and chewing her hair, What did I do wrong? Did I not get her clean enough? Should I have bathed her more than once? Or is there a trick that I am unaware of for horses? This is going to be a long drawn out process if it keeps going like this, please help!

I have the same problems with mine! I also have WAHL stable pro. Sorry I am no help but I do wish to see some replies on here.

I have never used a Wahl but they are good clippers from what I am told

Be sure to switch blades out when they become hot. If you keep using them not only does it make the horse uncomfortable (and hate clipping) it also ruins the blade.

I also dont believe in that clipper cooling stuff as I think it dulls the blade.

Be sure to spray the horse down liberally with shosheen while shes still wet and brush it in. This makes the blade cut much more efficiently.

Always clip while they are a touch damp.

Also be sure you put the blade in correctly. The clipper should be running when you snap it in.

I have never had a blade sharpened and had it come back remotely sharp which is why people tease me on here because I no longer waste my money having them sharpened. I have tried so many blade sharpeners and they always come back dull. I can usually only clip about 20 mins with a resharpened blade. For ME it was a huge waste of time and money.

I have had brand new blades that were dull and got a refund

ShoSheen for sure. Found out last year how much easier it makes the clipper glide. Sadly for me yesterday, my Oster A5 was not cutting at all. I already had a 10 wide blade and a 30 ready to mail off to be sharpend and was working with a new 10 wide. My neighbor took it upon himself to loosen to screws and now I cannot find all the parts to my new blade or my clipper.
default_no.gif
Spent an afternoon shampooing my yearling colt only to hit a brick wall.
default_frusty.gif
Well, the good news is the shampooing alone turned him from a red horse to a blue roan (but I already knew he was). The even badder news is I wanted to get a lot of the clean winter hair off before I clipped so I thinned one side of him with scissors prior to plugging up the clippers. No clippers + pre-cut with scissors = he looks half chenille beadspread.
default_thumbdown.gif
So glad he does not have a mirror. Yesterday my foal was stopping traffic and bringing in unexpected visitors since he had pasture freedom. Gave the bedspread guy pasture today. Hope the local news crew does not see him. This would be the kind of publicity I could do without.
default_new_rofl.gif
Poor fellow. But when I get clipper problem solved and give him a re-do he will be stunning! It is getting hot here though and I have a few others that need the winter blanket removed, poor things. Sorry to ramble, I have no experience with Wahl. Wish Santa would bring me some Double K's!

I haven't used a Wahl clipper, but I wonder if it has the kind of power you need for body clipping.

I can tell you, I am doing the first clip on show horses right now. If you don't have a high powered blower to blow the dirt out then it's bath time. Here in OK it has been unusually warm with temps in the low 90s some days. The horses sweat and that long hair gets very gummy.

I bathe each one then clip the next day after the horse has dried thoroughly. 2 shampoos with extra attention paid to center back and lower legs. THOROUGH rinsing, cream rinse, thorough rinse, scrape, show sheen, towel dry and put in clean stall (no dirt floors...stall mats only with clean bedding)

On clipping day brush or vacuum out shavings. And even doing all of this I may still go through 2,3,4 blades per horse if they aren't totally clean which is very hard to achieve with the long winter coats.

Happy clipping!

Charlotte

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back