clicker training

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mytwoladies

Reaction score
Hello Im from westrn mass an have two new mins one I started training to the click soon after she arrived she 11/2 yrs old and is doing well with the training the other is 4 yrs old and wont eat apples or carrots or other treats only grain BUt I dont want to give her too much grain any sugestion would be great thanks.
yes.gif

Granola bars are good with a picky snacker. Sometimes they like breakfast cereals too. I once had a gelding who was goofy for Lucky Charms. lol

cereal never heard that one before. I'll have too try that one thanks !!

Peppermints or if you want to stay away from sugar mine love honey nut shredded wheat (the bite size kind).

Being in college I "sneek" cereal like lucky charms, coco puffs from the dining hall. I have also tried mini marshmallows which work well. And those small yummy pastel after dinner mints- I usually eat them all before they get to the horse.

Mine like vanilla wafers and snack crackers--the kind that come in the packages like peanut butter/cheese or honey peanut butter on captain wafers.

WOW! I didnt realize you could feed such a wide varity of snacks!! I've always worried a bout giving the wrong foods to them Thanks for all the Ideas you are all sooo help full the mints might not make to the barn either there soo good I agree!!

I use black oil sunflower seeds as training treats -- it's easy to feed just a couple, the horses love them, they're good for them and they don't make your pockets sticky or crumby.

If you want to use grain, just subtract it from their meal. Remember, it's the idea of a treat more than the amount given, so don't feel like they need more than just a morsel to feel rewarded.

(My Thelonius likes to lick my hand after I've fed treats -- just the residual taste pleases him!)

I used clicker training with my yearling and he really caught on fast. My QH loved the Frosted Mini Wheats for treats but the minis seem to prefer the store-bought apple treats I get at the feed store. I've used clicker training on all my animals and they really seem to catch on faster - except for my Chihuahua who was afraid of the clicker and could only eat so many treats before her little belly filled up.

Latest posts

Back