Chronic Diarrhea UPDATE: 9/16

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2minis4us

Reaction score
I have a 4 yr. old gelding that has had chronic diarrhea since he came here 2 months ago. Apparently he had it prior to coming here. My vet and I have tried various things but no success yet.

I am asking those that have experienced this to please tell me what finally worked for your horse. Not what you tried, but after everything else, what worked to cure your mini. Thanks.

UPDATE: 9/16

Fingers are crossed. After the 5 day Panacur double dose I started feeding him coconut macaroons and psyllium. I gave him more psyllium that I usually do and the past 2 days = NO DIARRHEA or watery stool !! Go figure. I also went to the local feed store and bought a bag of LMF 911 and started that yesterday just for good measure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has your vet checked him to makes sure it is not a sand /dirt issue.If that is not the cause and all else fails as previously stated use BioSponge.I have an older guy that gets it often&I use 1/2 tube AM&PM for several days even after it has cleared up.Good luck-hope it stops

Thanks everyone.

I have tried Pro Bios, Biosponge, Reninadine for ulcers, psyllium, yeast culture from my vet, changing hay, 5 days of double dose Safeguard, electrolytes.

All stool samples are normal. Bloodwork is also normal.

Right now I am giving him Coconut Macaroons (my hubby made them) and psyllium, again. Keeping my fingers crossed because his poop was not too bad today.

And good old Pepto has worked for us too....

Dosing panacur or safeguard for a week or so may help. It acts as an anti inflammatory for these things and can actually help with diarrhea.

Chia ( as in Chia pet
default_rolleyes.gif
) helps with sand and diarrhea. I use it now in the place of psyllium , actually every day and am really happy with thier coats . Lots of good stuff in those seeds......Ann

We had a mare that we purchased at 4 weeks of age. She did not have diarrhea when we purchased her, but she started with it about 2-3 weeks before she was delivered (shortly after weaning). We tried so many things.. bio sponge, wormers, sand check,etc. We used several vets. We even took her to a veterinary hospital in Virgina for tests. They felt that she may have been allergic to grass hay(we feed orchard grass). The only reason they thought that was because they fed her alfalfa while she was there and she did not have any diarrhea. Well, there were a few days throughout her life with us that she did not have diarrhea, but that was rare. I had her on alfalfa cubes at one point with no change. She continued with the diarrhea. Plus, the prior owner fed grass hay before she started with no problems.

I cleaned her tail and legs for 5 years(many days having to carry warm water out only to have it freeze mid way through cleaning her off).

She passed away at the age of 5 from complications with colic(she would colic anytime there was severe weather changes).

I know you asked for what worked, but we never were able to find any help for our mare. I hope that you are able to find a cure.

Kim

default_saludando.gif
my mare had diarrhea for some time and we drench her for sand and it stop

hope that helps

Bio Sponge, Beet Pulp mash and plain uncooked rice all in a mash together. Add psyllium as needed.
default_yes.gif

I swear by real pumpkin. It has worked on everything that I have tried with Diarrhea. dogs, cats, people and horses. I'd use about 1/4 cup twice a day for a mini. If you buy it in the can just make sure that it's not pie filling but real pumpkin. I get mine in the grocery store.

Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions
default_smile.png
I added an update today.

Yup coconut. I told everyone here about it years ago and it does help
default_yes.gif

Now that it has been mentioned here, I have used pumpkin successfully with the rabbits.

If you haven't already done it do the sand test first. My mare had chronic diarrhea the first year I had her. She was full of sand. I gave double dose phyllium for 30 days tested her twice a day and I was getting a tablespoon of sand out of her test poop for 20 days it slowly slacked off in the next 10 days. Now she only has diarrhea twice a year. Shes a 32" mini mare and I give her 35cc twice a day of MAX strength Pepto bismal for 3 days and that takes care of it. I also give her 35 cc of kaolin to pull toxins out of her gut. Shes due for another bout in the next couple of weeks which I will video tape and post to show you guys what kaolin does it pretty amazing stuff.

default_saludando.gif
my stallion had diarrhea on saturday, friend said give him red cordial

give him 50mls

tummy ache and diarrhea gone

worked a treat
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

Latest posts

Back