Christmas Rope Lights

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacharyfarms

Reaction score
On the thread about " do you leave a light on" several of you talked about the Christmas rope lights.

Are the one's you use like these

Christmas Rope Lights

and where do you install them in your foaling stalls..all the way around the stall? how high up? Do the really give off enough light to use a camera? I would love to try them and thought I would save some trial and error by asking questions first. Thanks for your help.

Judy,

I haven't read the other thread but we used to leave rope lights up across the front of our foaling barn year round and yes, they provided just enough light for the cameras without keeping everyone awake.

Jan

I use the rope lights too, I string them up on two sides of each foaling stall and it helps with less shadows but the light is soft and less intrusive than other lights I've tried. Very safe too, since they are fully enclosed in a hollow "jump rope" type casing.
default_smile.png

Yes, rope lights, or the strings of 'regular' Christmas tree lights give plenty of light for the 'low light' cameras. They may not be enough light for a camera that only does color though. Some cameras are dual purpose, they are 'color' when there is sufficient light and then they go to 'low light' (black and white) mode if the light drops below a certain level.

To get the best performance from your camera, the rope or string lights generally work better than just one bulb. The beauty of them is that you can use them to distribute the light more evenly around the stall. That gives you two advantages, one is that the camera doesn't see a 'hot spot' of light. The camera's iris tries to give a balanced image. It will adjust based on the amount of light it sees. If there is one area that is really bright, it will close its iris down so the bright spot isn't glaringly bright. When it does that, it makes the darker places even darkers. For example, if the light is in the middle of the stall, the center is easy to see, but the corners may be too dark and look black. With a rope or string of lights, you can put them around the stall including in the corners and avoid having any areas that are significantly brighter. This means the camera sees all areas of the stall equally well.

The second advantage to distributing the light, is that is cuts down on shadows. A single bright source of light will cast a shadow. If the stall is circled by lights, then all sides are equally lit, so you don't get the shadows. And, as myself and many others can tell you, shadows can become all kinds of things (including foals) when you are sleep deprived during mare stare!!!

Another note... when you are putting up your lights, take care to know what the camera is seeing. You don't want to have the camera looking directed at ANY light source, even a small Christmas tree bulb. Again, it is a 'hot spot' and if the camera is seeing it directly, then it will shut down its iris to try to even out the light levels and will make the whole picture darker.

I have used the Christmas tree lights for many years without any problems, and that is what I will be using again this year. I generally buy them after Christmas when all the Christmas items go on sale. But, I would think that the rope lights would be a little safer, although much more expensive. I don't know how long the ropes lights last though, they they may be worth the investment in the long run.

Edited to add: I just read the other replies and wanted to also say that as mentioned by the other posters, you don't have to 'circle' the stall to get the added benefit of the rope or string lights. Just the fact they spread the light helps with the bright spot issues and because they are not as bright helps to reduce shadows. But, if you can put them completely around the stall, that would probably be the ideal, but certainly not completely necessary. I have a small area and two strings of lights completely circles both stalls and puts some across the middle. If I had a larger area, one across the front and back, or one on each side of each stall would probably do just as good of a job.

Last edited by a moderator:

To get the best performance from your camera, the rope or string lights generally work better than just one bulb. The beauty of them is that you can use them to distribute the light more evenly around the stall. That gives you two advantages, one is that the camera doesn't see a 'hot spot' of light. The camera's iris tries to give a balanced image. It will adjust based on the amount of light it sees. If there is one area that is really bright, it will close its iris down so the bright spot isn't glaringly bright. When it does that, it makes the darker places even darkers. For example, if the light is in the middle of the stall, the center is easy to see, but the corners may be too dark and look black. With a rope or string of lights, you can put them around the stall including in the corners and avoid having any areas that are significantly brighter. This means the camera sees all areas of the stall equally well.

The second advantage to distributing the light, is that is cuts down on shadows. A single bright source of light will cast a shadow. If the stall is circled by lights, then all sides are equally lit, so you don't get the shadows. And, as myself and many others can tell you, shadows can become all kinds of things (including foals) when you are sleep deprived during mare stare!!!

Another note... when you are putting up your lights, take care to know what the camera is seeing. You don't want to have the camera looking directed at ANY light source, even a small Christmas tree bulb. Again, it is a 'hot spot' and if the camera is seeing it directly, then it will shut down its iris to try to even out the light levels and will make the whole picture darker.
Thank all of you for your quick replies. R3 you explained the reasons I have had so much trouble with my cameras...
default_wacko.png
The best ones I have had are my simple black and white. I have always just used 25 watt bulbs in a single holder to get enough to see. I now have one camera that is color and it produces the worse image on my computer. I have to be sure I put a loud pinto in that stall and not a black one like I did last year. I can't wait to get the lights and plan to encircle all three foaling stalls. Hmmm I might go ahead and do it now..it would look nice with my barn wreath
default_biggrin.png

I use black light bulbs in a single stall outlet the image from the camera is clear and good to see and it is basically very dark in the stall a very soft purple lite makes nite time for the horses get them at walmart

Thank all of you for your quick replies. R3 you explained the reasons I have had so much trouble with my cameras...
default_wacko.png
The best ones I have had are my simple black and white. I have always just used 25 watt bulbs in a single holder to get enough to see. I now have one camera that is color and it produces the worse image on my computer. I have to be sure I put a loud pinto in that stall and not a black one like I did last year. I can't wait to get the lights and plan to encircle all three foaling stalls. Hmmm I might go ahead and do it now..it would look nice with my barn wreath
default_biggrin.png

We have used the Rope lights since we have had our cameras in the barn in January of 05.
default_yes.gif
we just love them and leave them and the cameras on 24/7.
default_biggrin.png

We replaced one set last year and will replace the other 2 sets this year because sections of it do go out occasionally.
default_wink.png
Our cameras are color with the infrared (sp) bought from Radio Shack.
default_smile.png

This type of lightening is so much less intrusive which allows us to have our cameras on 365 days. Some of our (non mini) friends and family think we are nuts for having the cameras in the first place, much less watching having the cameras on 24/7 for us to watch...
default_laugh.png
we love it though!!!
default_wink.png

Jeri

I think it's been a couple of years since I put up my rope lights, they are holding up very good. I got mine at Home Depot.

Leslie

What a great idea!! Think I will grab some while it is the 'season'!! I hang a regular light out there with a low watt bulb but it makes a glare in the camera where it hangs (but cant move it or the shadows are too much, etc.. just doesnt work right)

My camera is black and white with night vision, but the NV is not as strong as my first camera was. How much light do you get from a string- or should I put up two??

Latest posts

Back