Chickie lesson

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterling

Reaction score
My peeps arrived this morning bright and early at the PO. I got the call at 5:45 and mustered up, threw on some clothes and out the door I went! I had two casualties...one arrived expired and one was very weak and passed as I was setting them in the brooder.

All in all they are TINY. After raising the brown egg layers for a few years these are even smaller than some of my Old English Bantam chicks.

Here's what breeds they are:

Porcelain d'uccle

Mille Fleur d'uccle

Barred Cochins

Mottled Japanese

Belgian Quail

A lot of people thingk Mille Fleur is a breed of bantam, in fact it is a color. With the base usually a brown and then many little white speckles. The d'uccles come in many colors and varieties...I got the Porcelain which are a cool blue to white and the Mille Fleur. The mottled Japanese are black based (you would'nt know it to see the chicks) with white dots and the Belgian Quail are tiny little quail colored birds. The barred cochins are just than ...barred.

So can you pick out the chicks? The lighting is not that great as I use a red bulb and it was bright enough in the brooder that my camera flash did'nt go off. (Hint...I don't think I see any of the Belgian Quails in either of the close up pics)

e9f4b4d7.jpg

e9f4b48b.jpg

e9f4b441.jpg

no idea which is which --- but they sure are cute!! I raised up a few chicks for a friend -- it was FUN but messy -- these were even HOUSE CHICKENS!! :new_shocked: up to a certain point. They grew up in a crate.

:aktion033:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

I love your little peeps! I have Mille Fluer OEG bantams, Brassyback OEG bantams, frizzle bantams and mottled cochin bantams. They are the neatest little chickens...such personalities. where did you get your chicks from? I am thinking on getting some more..........

Alica

They look so happy to be home! Cute, cute, cute. :~)

~Karen

default_wub.png
: They're soooo cute!!! I have only 1 chicken, well, rooster. [SIZE=8pt]My friend's joke that he's my "mail-order-cock"[/SIZE] He's a pretty boy, too! Has gotten either grand or reserve every year at the state fair! But he's getting old...

Baby chicks are so cute--I love it when they are small and sprawl out under the light just like a litter of pups.

I have 25 more coming next week.

I just love the chickies! The little bantams are the cutest and you picked some really beautiful breeds. Wow, continue to share pictures as they grow up! We ordered the special assorted bargain from McMurray and I still haven't figured out what most of them are. It is fun but a little frustrating too. I want to know NOW! They grow up fast, but not fast enough. :bgrin Here's our frizzle at one month next to my daughter's little silkie. We have never had these two breeds before and I just love them! I can't wait to see them all grown up.

9641461_348.ts1175695730191.jpg

I also love this guy. He's our white crested polish. We have 3.

9641459_348.ts1175695723595.jpg

Anyone one have a guess on this little one? I've been pouring over that McMurray catalog, but unfortunately some of them are just too hard to tell so far. And next to the silkie on the second shot, do you think that is an araucana?

9641462_348.ts1175695732770.jpg

9641460_348.ts1175695726106.jpg

I just love the chickies! The little bantams are the cutest and you picked some really beautiful breeds. Wow, continue to share pictures as they grow up! We ordered the special assorted bargain from McMurray and I still haven't figured out what most of them are. It is fun but a little frustrating too. I want to know NOW! They grow up fast, but not fast enough. :bgrin Here's our frizzle at one month next to my daughter's little silkie. We have never had these two breeds before and I just love them! I can't wait to see them all grown up.

9641461_348.ts1175695730191.jpg

I also love this guy. He's our white crested polish. We have 3.

9641459_348.ts1175695723595.jpg

Anyone one have a guess on this little one? I've been pouring over that McMurray catalog, but unfortunately some of them are just too hard to tell so far. And next to the silkie on the second shot, do you think that is an araucana?

9641462_348.ts1175695732770.jpg

9641460_348.ts1175695726106.jpg
I adore Frizzles!!! They look like they have gone thru a wind tunnel backwards. Your little white one is adorable! :bgrin Those two partridge colored ones especially the one next to the silky looks to be a BB Red Old English? The raciing stripe down the eye and the dark color around the wings.....wonder if it's a little roo? The one pic of the little one alone reminds me of a Phoenix hen. Have you had Polish before? Thy look like little clowns. Keep an eye out on them as they grow...they can get pretty agressive and bop relentlessly at the other more suttle chickens...namely Silkies.
default_wink.png
:

As far as recognizing some of the chicks I got....the real white ones with the painted black dots on the heads are Mottled Japaneese, they are clean legged and short legged. Great for people who value their lawns as their short legs don't do much damage when they scratch around. The dark ones with the grayish circle on their heads are the Barred Cochins, they are feather legged. The brownish colored ones that looks like toy teddy bears are the Mille Fleurs, feather legged. The blueish colored teddy bear looking ones are the Porcelain, feather legged.....and the Belgian Quails are teeny tiney and mostly black with brown around the beard and running along underneath, they are clean legged.

Jo what else do you have coming? What did you get already?

Thanks all for the comments and letting me share the babies! :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back