chewing on the bit

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPR

Reaction score
I drive my horse in a regular single joint driving snaffle bit. When he's just standing he starts chewing on the bit. When we're driving he doesn't. I've got it adjusted at one lip wrinkle. Does this chewing matter? What does it mean? He drives fine in the bit.

My driving gelding does that sometimes but I think he does it as he hates to stand and is always wanting to go. Mine is fine when he's moving as well. I doubt it would be a teeth problem as my gelding's have been recently done.

That sort of thing isn't indicative of a problem at all. It means he's standing around bored so he gets to fussing with his bit to entertain himself until you give him something to do! :bgrin Sounds like a happy horse to me.
default_yes.gif
:

Leia

Ok, thanks. I just wasn't sure.. A friend had told me horses chew on bits if they are too low in their mouth. So I took it up a hole higher, but he still did it. It's good to know it's not a problem. He isn't too patient.....wants to get going.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back