Breeding and Driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are the risks of breeding a mare after having a c section?

This is my only other option with Kitty if I am able to breed her. She has had a foal but what I heard died after it was done. Trying to think of things to do with her since she has heaves and can not drive much

Last edited by a moderator:
First -- why did she have a c-section? There are many mares who have foaled normally after such an event but, if the section were because she just could not pass a full-term foal, why try it? In other words, have a vet check her out for pelvic size.

Is she on meds for heaves? Some things to consider if you stall these with heaves....mats, little bedding as possible in entire barn, they do better with a run-in, actually. The air quality situation is a concern in a dusty barn.
default_wink.png
Pollen time can be hard on them. Actually light exercise can be good for them as it does help "exercise" their lungs and strengthen them. But this needs to be very carefully monitored and depends on the intensity of her heaves problems. Talk to your vet on both issues. Sounds like you may have a great PET candidate.

Breeding being the "only other option" is not really the best reason for breeding a mare especially not one with a, quite possibly hereditary, condition, such as heaves. I would think long and hard whether a foal from this mare would be so special it is worth risking her life to create it and then have it possibly suffer, as the mother does, from a chronic breathing problem.

A horse with heaves can indeed become a performance horse. There are many medications available now to help deal with the problem and, even without the medication, if she is brought into condition slowly and carefully, kept in peak condition and in the proper environment, she could easily be a pleasureable, if not possibly competitive, driving horse.

She could also become a lovely pet for someone who just wants a pet.

Another great job for her, is that if you actually had her spayed, she would be a great companion for a stallion when he is not breeding. We have a mare that does not cycle at all and that is her job here, same as it was where she came from. The seller was VERY honest about this mare. She is a great stallion companion, it is like having a female gelding.
default_smile.png

Trying to think of things to do with her since she has heaves and can not drive much
IMO "things to do with her" should not include breeding... especially after a C-section where things obviously went very wrong - and with heaves as a complication on top of it.
default_no.gif
Breeding is not the only other option, as you say.

Why not teach her some tricks... do obstacle courses... and have a nice pet.
default_yes.gif

Another great job for her, is that if you actually had her spayed, she would be a great companion for a stallion when he is not breeding. We have a mare that does not cycle at all and that is her job here, same as it was where she came from. The seller was VERY honest about this mare. She is a great stallion companion, it is like having a female gelding.
default_smile.png
Wish there were more like this. It's a shame spaying costs so much.

There are lots of things to do with your mare other than breed.

Light driving- you said she could drive some.

Therapy horse for visits to schools, nursing homes, etc. ~ let her brighten someone else's day

Teach her tricks ~ how cool would it be if you take the time to teach her to fetch. LOL, or watch a Tomy Turvy performance, what he can do with a horse is amazing, minus of course chariot riding. lol

Keep as a pasture pet for another horse ~ nothing wrong with just sitting out there looking pretty

Practice clipping and braiding on her- why not, if she is not going to be shown, it is okay if you mess up.

practice ground driving with her- perfect your handling skills without the stress and strain of driving your horse

play dress up- no seriously, sometimes it is fun to just make your horse look as pretty as possible

practice ground handling skills ~ showmanship practice

I mean there is such so much that you could do with her and frankly the worst reason to breed a horse is because you can't figure out anything else to do with her.

I hope you find ways to has fun with your girl, even if

Latest posts

Back