Body, face and hoof shine for showing....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxi'sMinis

Reaction score
What do you use for producing that glow of coat condition on the shaved body, for the face and hooves for showing purposes?

To get a glow on a shaved body, or preferably...natural coat...I feed ground flax, kelp, beet pulp, good quality feed and hay. Nothing will put a real true shine on the bod like good food, and conditioning.

As for the enhancers, there are dozens upon dozens on the market, and I have tried most...but cannot do without simple mineral oil and show sheen. I use mineral oil on the hooves, mane, tail, and face...as well as carrying a lightly oil-spritzed rag to run over the horses shoulder, hip and gaskin as I enter the ring.

I agree with Sue C That the true shine comes from the inside. I use freshly ground flax seed and BOSS daily.

For show, after bathing we use Show Sheen spray and smooth it over the entire body, mane and tail. Baby Oil gel is used on the face and ears. Clear hair gel on the mane If the horse has dark ears I will use black gel on the inside.

Hooves - black I use a fat black marker athe hoof line. Then black hoof polish. I don't use the water based polish - I don't think it has the same quality of shine. White or striped hooves I use clear. I don't own any appaloosas, but would use clear on them too. Just before going into the ring I spray them with hoof polish.

A quick going over with Pepi is the final touch just before going in the ring.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back