Blanketing Help?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
I clipped one of my youngsters for multiple reasons. (coat quality, possible lice, sweating, etc.) I need some help looking for a blanket for her.

At the moment the weather this week is 40-70. Upper 40's being the low and 70's be the highs.

What weight of blanket do I need? What about the rest of the season?

Would a sheet work? A medium weight blanket?

Any suggestions would be great!

For cooler temps, I would use an insulated blanket--assuming you do not have a heated barn--and when its warmer, 65 and over, you can go with the lightweight sheet or nothing for a little while. We also shaved last weekend and are putting the insulated on at night and, when warm enough during the day, they go out with nothing. They really need to be able to roll and scratch, let their skin breathe and get rid of their winter itchies.

We have clipped 14 so far this spring. The temps have nearly reached 50 for a low this week. We use a lightly insulated blanket for night time and when it reaches about 65 or 70 during the day and the sun is out, we take them all off and then reblanket again at night. If it is rainy and gloomy, we may not take the blankets off unless it gets near 80 cause it feels so much cooler.

This is why I haven't body clipped yet this year - only "comfort" clipped hair from chests, belly, necks, trace clipped.

You should have an insulated blanket, but layers are even better. In a pinch you can make covers out of fleece throws or any rectangular piece of material. Fold in half - or fold both ends into the middle to make 2 of them. Cut out neck holes in a long arc, leaving long ends to tie in front. They work best under a sheet or blanket, but will work alone. You could add leg straps by clipping on mattress straps. This one is only tied in front of the chest where it doesn't get in the way. We also use these as "robes" after a bath.

P1040057.jpg

Great idea Targetsmom!!! I'll have to try that. If you body clip and it's still cool like above mentioned temps. do you need to put hoods on or are the insulated blankets enough(layering blankets if needed)??

Any of ours that have had their necks clipped are wearing neck sweats so I figure the neck sweats will keep their necks warm! I wouldn't worry as much about necks though - the core (where the major organs are) is what you really need to keep warm. And the mane helps.

This is what I have for mine out in the field too with 220gr filling, at night they have a similar rug but it doesn't have the polyester outer. For extra warmth I use fleece blankets, baby bed size blankets are perfect for minis and often people will give them away once the children move into a big size bed
default_smile.png

I got the blanket from sstack about a month ago and love it. My stallion is hard on blankets and this thing has so far held up great. My only complaint was that the leg straps were way too short, so I took them off. Was going to replace them with longer ones from an other blanket but so far does not seem to need the leg straps to stay in place.

My guys wear kensington turnouts at night when its down to the mid 40's, and during the days its been anywhere from 60-80 here the past few weeks, so they get blankets off for the day. If for some reason it stays cool through the day, I leave their blankets on. Im kind of crazy, I clipped in february, in Western PA. Also, ive tried the Schneiders blankets because for the price, they are tough. My issue is that they havent fit any of my minis right and cause rubs. Just keep an eye on the chest and withers that they arent rubbing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back