Bitless Bridles

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovinarabs

Reaction score
What do you guys think? I have a friend who got one and swears by it. Any experiences or expertise to share on the subject?

bitless bridles

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never used one, but a lady who has bought four minis from me started using them for driving and now won't use anything else!

I have Dr. Cook Bitless Bridles for my riding horses and think they are the best bridles I have ever used. My horses love them and so do I.

tuftsart.jpg

Yes, Jill - that's the one! I'm so excited to hear you like it. I have a VERY soft mouthed boy who tosses his head every time I ask him to stop or slow down with any rein pressure. I am thinking this might help him relax.

I used to ride a lot, now hardly ever (ever!), but I know how much happier my boys seemed in the bitless bridles. They responded very quick to my ques and seemed to really enjoy the riding way more than in bitted bridles. Before I tried them, I worried that they may not stop or may not turn, etc., but the responses from them were instant and I feel the bridle is just as Dr. Cook states -- humane and gentle, but you still have the control you need. I really wouldn't envision myself choosing to ride one of my own horses using a traditional bridle ever again.

I used to ride a lot, now hardly ever (ever!), but I know how much happier my boys seemed in the bitless bridles. They responded very quick to my ques and seemed to really enjoy the riding way more than in bitted bridles. Before I tried them, I worried that they may not stop or may not turn, etc., but the responses from them were instant and I feel the bridle is just as Dr. Cook states -- humane and gentle, but you still have the control you need. I really wouldn't envision myself choosing to ride one of my own horses using a traditional bridle ever again.

Jill -

Did they transition pretty easily for you? I'd be maybe interested in trying one of those out someday, but of course my horses (riders) are all used to the bit.

Thanks!

Renee in Iowa

I've ridden a few horses with one, and once you're on you forget there's no bit, heh. Haven't gotten to see the transition yet, though.

My Arab used to be ridden in one. That's all he knew before I got him, and he worked at the racetrack as a lead pony :bgrin

However, I couldn't go bitless in shows, so we had to start using a bit when I got him. I still use a bit, but it's like a giant bubble. It does virtually nothing. Every clinic or show I've been to there's been commenting on how soft it is.

Latest posts

Back