Big question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krickette

Reaction score
OK, as some of you know, I have a growing filly on my hands. Well, she is quickly approaching 6 months old, and I want to get her registered before it becomes too expensive. I can fairly easily register her as a pinto, but I would love to register her with the anything I can. Her sire is APHA registered and her dam is a TB, but we have no clue if she's registered or not. I had given up all hope on finding her papers, if any exist, because she has no tattoo and I thought that she had no chip. Well, it turns out that she did, indeed, have a chip when we got her. That's exciting news! Now I'm wondering if there is any way to track, using the chip, her previous owners. Does anyone know if this is possible, and if so, who to contact about it. If you don't know if it's even possible, do you have any suggestions of who to ask. Thank y'all so much!

~Krickette

I don't know about tracking registeration stuff down with the chip but your vet should have a chip reader! I know ours do becasue when we find dogs we take them up to be checked for one! Hope this helps

RNR

If the previous owners registered the chip, then it should be easy enough to track them down. If the chip was unregistered, I believe for the first year it refers you back to the vet that installed it. Well, that's the way it was way back when the chips first became available; it's been a while.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Back then, there were several chip manufacturers, and each had their own reader, so they could only pull info off their own chips. Not sure if they've come up with something more universal now.

Isn't TB one of the outcrosses that's allowed in APHA?

There are some other registration options for you as well. If the dam has JC papers, then the filly should qualify for Performance Horse Registry (part TB, associated with JC) papers. PHR recognizes awards in the USET (USEF, whatever it is now) competitions. Also, depending on your goals and her abilities, there's several Sport Horse registries and she could also be inspected as breeding stock for some of the Warmblood registries. These are all more English oriented, but I bet there's some for Western/Stock type as well.

Horse chips are registered through the manufacturer to the person who had it installed. Once the horse is sold, that new owner can't chance the registration. The options are: pay extra to reregister the chip in the "national registry", a commercial company that tracks chip numbers. If your state tracks them (Like LA) then they will keep track of the last owner. Unfortinately, that information isn't listed anywhere nationally. My boy lived in LA for a while, and their chip ID's are attached to Coggins information. However, since I bought him and I don't live in LA, I didn't submit a new coggins to the LA labs. So according to the state of LA I don't own Charlie
default_smile.png
But that doesn't matter, if CO reads his chip (which they won't, because they are a brand state and "I'm a brand inspector, I don't care about chips") they won't be able to attach that chip to any owner. Very confusing topic...

Latest posts

Back