Beware where you list your horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky seven

Reaction score
As some of you know, I have been having some real hard times with my mini gelding, so decided to offer him for sale. I listed him on craigs list and after a few weeks got a response from a woman who said she had tons of experience and already had to mini pets. I had stipulated that he had to go to someone who had mini experience and not be used only as a pet. She sent me a photo of her minis and said she was going to train them to drive. I recognized them as they are listed on craigs list in a different location from where she said she lived. I have also seen some of her other horses listed. I had said no dealers need apply. It is a good thing I browze there everyday. I emailed her back and said that I was keeping him. I would rather keep him and continue to work out our issues than wonder about what has become of him. I don't know if anyone uses that site but you need to screen everyone with the right questions. I am glad that I did.

This is true, but also for every sale. I sold horses to a woman with 30+ years horse experience. She bought eight total over a few years. A couple died from different causes, and I know that can happen. When she got into some personal issues, I offered to board her horses while she got straightened out.

Last November, some came back and talk about shock. Link to pics.

It turned into, give me them back or I'm calling the authorities thing. We did manage to half from her the others disappeared, hopefully to good homes.

Yep, it doesn't much matter where you advertise a horse for sale, you can run into undesirable buyers anywhere and everywhere. They aren't limited to buying off craigslist

omg Ive just clicked on the link and read your story ......the poor little beggars , how on earth does someone let them get in that state Grrr

Michelle, I looked at your link. Horrifying. That woman should be horse whipped. Bet she never went without a meal. How are they all now?

I can't understand why anyone would do that to a horse. She kept buying more? Lucky you got those back and hope for the best for the others.

This thread is making me want to go check on my horse that I have out on free lease. But she has sent me e-mails and pictures so I'm pretty sure he is ok.

This thread is making me want to go check on my horse that I have out on free lease. But she has sent me e-mails and pictures so I'm pretty sure he is ok.
Pictures can lie. Go check. We free leased a gelding to a "friend" and had to drop off some paperwork a few months later and went back to see him. All his ribs were showing and his spine stood out. We turned around and got the trailer and took him back then and there.

That said, we've sold several horses on Craigslist and have had no problems.

I will never again list a horse on Craig's list. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER!!!!

This person came to take a filly as a pet, and now she is on a "rescue's" website as having been saved from the brink of death and had been terribly abused and neglected her entire life. Oh, and they lopped over a year off of her age, and wouldn't you know, there was this day her 1/2 brother went through two fences and guess he got the job done before we got him out of there, so now they claim she is 18 months old and pregnant. If we had thought she was bred we would have given her a morning after shot but were pretty sure he hadn't covered her.

They have not used our names in this story, but have told people on the phone that we live in Centerburg and since we are the only mini horse farm in Centerburg.......

We are furious and are looking to take legal action since they are using this "story" to collect donations for their 501.3c. I have turned them over to the attorney general but haven't heard anything yet.

I'll respond a bit for Michelle... as I went with her to rescue the second group. Michelle and I went and picked up 3 other mares December 1st. Two were in skinny to fair condition. The third was very skinny. We were not able to get the other horses that person had. I tried to see if she would give me some of them, but she said she had already found them homes. I gave her my contact info in case any of the supposed new homes fell through. Thank God I had taken acting classes at college, as I needed them that day. Michelle let me take the lead in talking to that person, and I had to fight to stay friendly, in an attempt to get the other horses that person had not brought us. She has not contacted me, so I'm assuming she is sticking with her story, or she actually found them homes. I pray that they are safe, as they are daughters of the horses she took, that I knew and loved.

The mares we picked up that day I knew before this person took them. To say the change was shocking is a mild way to put it. When I saw Celena, I about cried. Michelle is doing a great job in rehabilitating these mares. Mardi Gras and Celena still have a ways to go, but they are well on their way to full recovery. Brie is also doing well. Baroness was in a slightly skinny state when we got her. Her half sister Honeybun was in close to fair condition. They now appear to be fully recovered, and are very happy away from where they were. Baroness and Honeybun were in the best shape of the ones that were rescued. The relief in their eyes as they came off that trailer was heartbreaking to see. When we got them home, you could see the stress melt away as they realized they were back home. All of the horses rescued are doing well now, and are well on their way to making full recoveries from the neglect they suffered.

Sad, sad, sad. Dont blame it on craigslist- these crappy people are everywhere and scour all the salesboards.

DISGUSTING people!! Well done for getting back the ones you did get but I would still call the authorities to check on them, they dont deserve to own any animals!!

Latest posts

Back