Best Easy Entry Cart Suspension/Axle/Springs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Country Road cart has working leaf springs and is like sitting in a Rolls Royce. Seriously, that comfy.

http://www.countryca...m/vehicles.html

They are great people to work with and one of the Pequea Cart brothers makes their carts.

Wow I really love the look of this cart. I know I have looked at this website before but for some reason I never saw that there was a Mini size available. From all the feedback I have been getting it sounds like the leaf spring is a good alternative option to the torsion axle. Do you have the Mini size? How much does it weigh? Are the shafts removable? Is it a wood cart? What color stain did you get? Do you have any pictures of your horse pulling this cart?

Thank you!!

There is a TREMENDOUS difference in quality between a pipe cart and a fully adjustable, fully customizable, top-of-the-line Presentation/CDE cart! I think it's a terrible disservice to compare the two.
default_yes.gif
:yes
default_yes.gif

the only thing "simple easy entry" about the Pacific Smart Cart is how you get in.
default_biggrin.png
There is a TREMENDOUS difference in quality between a pipe cart and a fully adjustable, fully customizable, top-of-the-line Presentation/CDE cart! I think it's a terrible disservice to compare the two
I do feel I CAN compare the two, yes. I have seen both, driven in both; I have even seen the Pacific being manufactured, and as you've not seen or driven in the other, why do you feel it such a terrible thing that I compare it?? Really, you don't KNOW how well made the other cart is, you simply ASSUME it is a piece of junk. The man who makes them, was, for years, a manufacturer of Standardbred race carts...I can tell you, they are very well made, especially for the price. Speaking of price...here is one of the huge differences in $$. G & S metal wheels with rubber are less than 1/2 of the price of the Pacific. $800 of the Pacific cart's value being just in the wheels; yet both are hand made, and well made at that. As far as one being a "pipe cart" and the other "a fully adjustable, fully customizable, top-of-the-line Presentation/CDE cart", well, IMO BOTH of them are pipe carts, and the cheaper one too, is customizable.

There is nothing like a good debate. LOL!

Wow I really love the look of this cart. I know I have looked at this website before but for some reason I never saw that there was a Mini size available. From all the feedback I have been getting it sounds like the leaf spring is a good alternative option to the torsion axle. Do you have the Mini size? How much does it weigh? Are the shafts removable? Is it a wood cart? What color stain did you get? Do you have any pictures of your horse pulling this cart?

Thank you!!
Hi,

Yes, I have one of these carts, bought it along time ago. Is Mini sized. Here are some various photos of it, at different angles. Its not an Easy Entry per say but it is easy to get in and out of. With the Rein rail and Dash board and wooden wheels mine weighs 110lbs. Shafts are not removable.

Is a wooden cart and I just got the natural stain because it was the cheapest way to go. But I did upgrade the seats, added the dash and rein rail.

You should still be able to order it will different colored stains or have it painted if you want.

2509_1125941555104_1424107191_30340498_1081545_n.jpg

2509_1125942675132_1424107191_30340503_3597699_n.jpg

Maggiecart8sept09.jpg

Sue_C. said:
I do feel I CAN compare the two, yes. I have seen both, driven in both; I have even seen the Pacific being manufactured, and as you've not seen or driven in the other, why do you feel it such a terrible thing that I compare it?? Really, you don't KNOW how well made the other cart is, you simply ASSUME it is a piece of junk. ... As far as one being a "pipe cart" and the other "a fully adjustable, fully customizable, top-of-the-line Presentation/CDE cart", well, IMO BOTH of them are pipe carts, and the cheaper one too, is customizable.
Whoa, whoa, whoa...what made you think I was referring specifically to the G&S cart?
default_biggrin.png
My objection was to the Pacific being classed as a "simple easy entry." It is not. It's a Presentation vehicle and comes with a Presentation vehicle's price tag. I have an easy entry training cart, a Frontier, and I love it. Often use it instead of my Bellcrown due to the weight difference and not wanting to damage the paint job of my good CDE vehicle out on muddy trails. But an entry-level training cart is not the same as a competition vehicle. (NOT SAYING the G&S cart IS a training vehicle, just that "simple easy entry" usually refers to that sort of vehicle.)

To put it another way, I love my Chevrolet but that doesn't mean it's a Cadillac. Surely they're the same thing though as they both have four doors, an engine, and are well-made by people who care?
default_laugh.png
That's what I felt you were essentially saying and I disagreed that a Cadillac should be expected to have the same price range as a Chevy because they were "the same." Remember, I agree with you that they are over-priced and you'll note I don't own one!
default_wink.png
But I wanted to be fair.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Yes, I have one of these carts, bought it along time ago. Is Mini sized. Here are some various photos of it, at different angles. Its not an Easy Entry per say but it is easy to get in and out of. With the Rein rail and Dash board and wooden wheels mine weighs 110lbs. Shafts are not removable.

Is a wooden cart and I just got the natural stain because it was the cheapest way to go. But I did upgrade the seats, added the dash and rein rail.

You should still be able to order it will different colored stains or have it painted if you want.

2509_1125941555104_1424107191_30340498_1081545_n.jpg

2509_1125942675132_1424107191_30340503_3597699_n.jpg

Maggiecart8sept09.jpg
I really like your cart. How tall is your Mini?

I guess I kinda think of both of the carts I referred to as easy entry, and neither one is my preferred cart for "presentation", to be honest. Had I the $$ to spend on a dedicated presentation vehicle, I would definitely be looking for a nice rich-looking wooden cart...similar to the meadowbrook I just sold, but of lighter weight, and a solid colour/stain.

Some day that winning lotto ticket WILL be MINE.........
default_biggrin.png
default_new_shocked.gif

Well Miss Kelly,

I'm a little confused. Do you need a "presentation" cart or a trail cart? I thought I understood from your original post, but now its a little less clear. If a trail cart is the immediate desire, one should go with a company that has a long record producing trail carts.

Some "pipe" carts are just as adjustable as any presentation cart. "Some" are far more adjustable.

Lastly, I know from a costly experience that shipping to Alaska IS very expensive. If this cost is also a primary concern, weight IS an issue and should be considered. The carts discussed thus far are good rigs from good companies.

Keep looking and asking questions and you will arrive at what is best for your horse, you and your pocketbook.

Bb

Graham Carriage Works

www.grahamcarriageworks.com

I'd like to jump back in just to say that the wooden road carts built by either of the Stoltzfus brothers(as we have been told, Shari's, which she got from Country Carriages, was built by one brother, and my almost identical one was built by another--John Stoltzfus, who has Pequea Carts/Carriages)would indeed be a good 'all-around' choice. My Pequea-built road cart has all of the upgrades pictured on Shari's (dash, rein rail, spares box, button-tufted 'cord' upholstery, only difference is that mine has a 'modified' projecting hub while Shari's has flat hubs. Mine also weighs right at 110 lbs., and is well-built. I drove it once to my 'big' 38+" mare; only issue was that the 48" shafts were actually too short for her-so if you have a horse taller than about 35", you might want to inquire about getting longer shafts? Also, if it were me, I'd want to know if there were any known drawbacks of wooden carts in very cold climates!

These are not inexpensive carts, either--but are well-priced for the quality, IMO. Several years back, they were in the $1250--1450 range, give or take(I haven't checked in awhile, but imagine the prices are somewhat higher today.) Shipping might be higher than other types due to the carts not being able to be shipped 'disassembled', however. I'd venture a guess that shipping might be one of your biggest concerns, considering how far away you are up in Alaska. Do you have any contacts w/ anyone who might be making the trip by highway, pulling horses or the like, who might 'make room'for a cart? Most mini carts can easily ride, even fully assembled, in the back of a pickup, or possibly in a horse trailer 'stall...

One drawback for ME, at my age, is that the Pequea/Country Carriages road carts are not really "easy entry". Not a problem if you are younger and spryer, but a bit of an issue for me!I personlly quite prefer a 'true' Easy Entry cart, no matter whether wood or metal.

Best of luck in your quest!

Margo

only difference is that mine has a 'modified' projecting hub while Shari's has flat hubs.

Also, if it were me, I'd want to know if there were any known drawbacks of wooden carts in very cold climates!
Margo, I'd love to see a photo of that hub if you have one.

I don't know what a "very cold climate" is as it applies to Alaska, but our wooden vehicles here stand the cold very well. No problems at all. All of our vehicles are stored in cold areas. We had bigger problems with them being stored in heated spaces. We had our show vehicles in the basement once (we have an exposed basement on one side) and the wood shrunk on one vehicle, creating a separation in a wood panel.

Myrna

Latest posts

Back