Beet Pulp shortages...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reble

Reaction score
http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=13108

Plain shredded beet pulp, a source of digestible fiber for many horses, has been hard to come by this year for a number of East Coast horse owners. Some have wondered when supplies will replenish. While a temporary supply will be available soon, the long-term outlook on beet pulp availability isn't as clear.

Burton Feed & Seed in Beaufort, S.C., received its first shipment of beet pulp in months earlier this week.

"I had a lot of trouble getting it, and I can't say for sure why," said owner Robert Bowles. "And I have three different suppliers I get regular shipments from."

Triple Crown Nutrition General Manager Eric Haydt, RAS, said seasonal and regional shortages are a larger issue endemic to the sugar beet industry.

"Most processed beet pulp is pelleted for livestock feed and exported overseas. Export contracts are filled first, then domestic," said Haydt. "If a distributor or manufacturer underestimates their annual needs, they could run out just prior to the next harvest."

"For the equine industry, demand is starting to exceed supply." --Eric HaydtWeather is another supply factor. For the Minn-Dak Farmers Cooperative in Wahpeton, N.D., rain meant a reduction in the members' 2008 harvest.

"We've had to leave 30,000 acres out in the fields," said Minn-Dak agriculturist Mike Metzger. "Beets were coming in covered with mud and we were unable to process them. That's one-third of our crop."

And the long-term supply outlook?

"For the equine industry, demand is starting to exceed supply. Consumption is double what it was five years ago," said Haydt. "On top of that, availability is strictly controlled by the sugar companies, and they haven't necessarily caught up with equine market demand."

Horse owners who rely on beet pulp might want to discuss feed alternatives with their veterinarians. Another option is to purchase a bulk quantity earlier in the year to avoid any future autumn shortages.

A lack of plain beet pulp in several East Coast feed stores is fueling some speculation that a shortage could be in the works.

Beet pulp is a byproduct from the process of extracting simple sugars from sugar beets for the manufacture of table sugar. The pulp, which has 8-10% crude protein and 18% crude fiber, is often used as a livestock feed or equine supplement.

"We're in decent shape on beet pulp shreds, but many feed suppliers in the area are out," said Larry Drennen, of Oxford Feed & Lumber in Oxford, Penn. "It seems that last year's harvest hasn't made it through the full year."

While outages of plain beet pulp have been reported, the pulp with molasses seems to be readily available.

"We carry beet pulp with molasses, and haven't had any problems getting it," said Pat Hertzler, co-owner of Hertzler Farm and Feed, Inc., in Powhatan, Va. "We haven't heard of any shortages. That's not to say there might not be one in the future, but right now there's no problem."

The upcoming sugarbeet harvest will determine beet pulp availability going forward.

While beets are grown in various regions throughout the U.S., the unusual spring weather patterns in the Midwest and upper western states might affect yields this September and October.

“In Nebraska, we had three successive weekends of hard freezes in April and May. That meant 40% of the acreage had to be replanted,” said Professor John Smith of the Biological Systems Engineering department at the University of Nebraska. “Due to the unusual weather, our yields may be down for this year, but we won’t know for sure until after the harvest is done."

The bottom line? If you have horses dependent on plain beet pulp as a feed source, check with your feed supplier to determine if they are having problems. A quick call to your vet might also be in order to determine the most appropriate alternative fiber sources for your own equines.

Last edited by a moderator:
I manage a large feed store in Indiana, we have 50 stores in 5 states.

We just got a wonderful supply of beet pulp in AND it went down in price. $10.99 for a 50lb bag.

It was at $19 3 months ago. So it does look better.

I find it really weird here in Kansas. Alot of co-op says they are on backorder but I did alot of calling today and found a steady supply not 20 miles from me. The guy at that co-op did not even know their was a shortage and I bought 3 bags for 11.58 each. Something is strange about this "SHORTAGE" any one need to know where they are located PM me. They are located in SE Kansas
default_saludando.gif

I have to special order beet pulp as no one local carries it in-stock, so I order my winter supply (16 bags) at one time. I placed my order in July to give them time to get it in before I would need it in early-Sept. They called me to let me know it was in and when I went to pick it up, they only had 4 bags as that is all their supplier had in-stock and they would get more as soon as possible. It was early-Oct when the rest of my order was in and ready to pick-up; I'm thinking that was after the start of harvest and processing of the new crop.

Gro 'n Win has beet pulp in it. I feed nothing else except good grass hay. All of my kids are very healthy. So...there's your solution (no, I don't work for Buckeye lol. Just a satisfied customer
default_wink.png
)

P.S. I have a garbage bin full from last year if anyone wants it (for free). It's dirt cheap still here ($7.99 for a big bag).

Last edited by a moderator:
My feed dealer can get as many bags of the Beet Pulp with out molasses as you want in the upstate of South Carolina. They are R and R Farms LLC. If anyone in SC is interested please e--mail me and I will give you the phone number to reach them. A lot of feed stores around me here in the upstate are having problems getting it in and then only allowing you to get 2 bags a month.
default_smile.png

Kathey

[email protected]

Boy, I wish we could get it here.
default_sad.png
As far as I know, it's still unavailable in the OKC area. Haven't been able to get it since late July?
default_no.gif

Is anyone else having a problem with what looks like fine sand or silt in the pulp? I opened a bag the other night and when soaked it looked like very fine silica sand in it. I'm going to try and go to another place to see if theirs is any better. I've never had this happen before.

I got the article too.....sounds like next year or so may be more of a problem than now.

It's been off again on again here. Three feed stores will tell me they can't get it, it's been backordered for weeks.....and the fourth store will have plenty. I bought 6 bags last month after calling the first three stores....am thinking I'd better stock up for winter if they still have any.

Jan

This year, the feed for the Cape Fear Fair and Expo was acquired from a different supplier than the ones that most of the horse owners I know use. I don't know who it was, and probably shouldn't say, even if I did know. We were all shocked when we realized that the beet pulp had shredded-up brown paper mixed in it! It wasn't just a few bits, it was all through the bag, and a fairly good percentage of the contents. Has any one else seen this?

Back