Barracuda Hoof Nippers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
I received my new Barracuda hoof trimmers today, and so far, I like what I see and feel. They are made a little differently, so may take some getting used to, but I think I should like them.

They are very lightweight, not long or cumbersome, and so very easy to squeeze together. I have not trimmed anything yet, as none need trimming, but I am looking forward to trying them out!

I know there was concern about not being able to use them single handedly, but I can work them in one hand by holding them lower down, and they stay open plenty wide enough to get the hoof in between the blades. Personally, it doesn't matter to me anyway if I have to use two hands, as I am used to it anyway. What I am looking forward to, is using far less power to operate them.

Here are pics I took of myself holding them with one hand at the point that I was able to operate them with one hand. As you can see, there is a good space between the blades for the hoof.

barracuda.jpg

barracuda2.jpg

barracuda3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They look great, i have to order!! Im seeing my next christmas present
default_yes.gif

Those look incrediable
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

PS: Are they light weight or heavy?

Personally I wouldn't even want to test them on any of my horses. I sight down my nippers to balance and these things are offset. Mini feet aren't that hard to trim so I think I'll stick to my old fashioned nippers. Pllus those blades don't look sturdy enough for a frozen foot. I've had regular nippers break and these look much flimsier. If one of those blades break off in a foot you may be in trouble.

Leeana, they are VERY lightweight!
default_yes.gif

As for them(the blades) being too flimsy for frozen feet, I guess time will tell, but to me, seeing them here before me, they appear plenty strong enough and I don't see them breaking off in a hoof.

Those are what our farrier uses and they look to me like they do a fine job without having to use two hands and also don't require a lot of strength even on iron hard black feet.

If I was still able to trim my own, you can betcha I would have a set!

Mary

I just cancelled the set I ordered (from another company) as they were taking forever to ship, and just ordered these from the same place Mona did. And Mona.....I told her you referred me to her, and she was very pleased that you gave her a reference!
default_yes.gif
Can't wait to get them....she said they would ship within one week of receiving my check.
default_aktion033.gif

Where and who are you guys ordering these from? I dont mind much about shipping time if it means saving $$$$. Thanks, Leeana H.

You can get them from:

Brenda Schneller

Director of Marketing

Innovative Concepts, LLC

e-mail: [email protected]

They are much cheaper going thu them & ship faster!
default_yes.gif

I picked mine up at their office today and they look great and very sturdy! Unfortunately I didn't get to meet Brenda as she was not in that day but we have emailed back and forth several times. What a sweet and very helpful gal!

We'll be trying them out on minis and big horses Monday and Tuesday. I talked with one of the main people in their office, and her husband and his partner are the creators of these nippers. The cost of the nippers through them is $95., extra blades $20. and shipping is $25.

Here's a pix of the ends and the extra blades.

Nippers-nov9-2007.jpg

Very cool Mona! Please keep us posted on the trial. They look like they will be a godsend for those of use who don't do it day in and day out and have the muscles to prove it.
default_wink.png

Thank you Mona and Outlaw! Those do look good and it's good to see how they look in Mona's hands. Also, in the angle Outlaw posted, to me, they look much sturdier than I thought before seeing that picture. I think we're going to go with those (will show H when he wakes up).

I just received mine yesterday, too! I'll be trying them out this afternoon. I, like Mona, feel that they are very easy to work with one hand.

Pam C.

I might have to buy a set of those in the next couple of months. My nippers are finally getting dull after all the trims I have done with them. My only question would be with them is how well the blades hold their sharpness, Are they comparable to the durability of the GE brand? I would hate to spend that much on a pair of nippers only for them to be just the midline between teh cheap catalog nippers and the good GE brand.

I might have to buy a set of those in the next couple of months. My nippers are finally getting dull after all the trims I have done with them. My only question would be with them is how well the blades hold their sharpness, Are they comparable to the durability of the GE brand? I would hate to spend that much on a pair of nippers only for them to be just the midline between teh cheap catalog nippers and the good GE brand.
They are made to have the blades replaced when they dull and no longer nip easily the way they should. I believe a new set of blades only cost $20.00. I pay more than that for (1) blade for my Oster clipper...and we all know how quickly they dull!
default_rolleyes.gif

They are made to have the blades replaced when they dull and no longer nip easily the way they should. I believe a new set of blades only cost $20.00. I pay more than that for (1) blade for my Oster clipper...and we all know how quickly they dull!
default_rolleyes.gif
Dona's right, you can buy replacement blades as needed, but I think the quoted life span of the blades was either 1500 or 2500 trims?? Can't remember which, but at those numbers, that's a lot of trims even if they count one foot as one trim!

These sound great!

I may have to ask for some for Christmas. :)

Susan O.

I ask because I have had my current nippers for about a little over a year now. I trim multiple horses every week just about. Try to average out at about 6 a week. So if they dulled quickly even at only $20 to replace them it would get expensive.

Hey glad you guys are liking the nippers

and mona i finally changed my blades out at 2500 HEAD not feet

if anyone has any questions feel free to contact me and i will help you

as far as the blades breaking i havent had one yet

they are not only heat treated they are chemically treated for hardness

default_aktion033.gif

dawn

Just bringing this back up. I was searching to see how many head these nippers might do and knew I'd find the thread again
default_smile.png
Just ordered mine today. I've been meaning to forever now and never remembered except in the evenings when I didn't want to fool with much. Now though I am so excited to get them
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

So its been a couple months since some have ordered. Any updates - I am highly interested as I have enough to trim, would like to see if I could do the ones that don't show myself!

Latest posts

Back