ATTENTION; TEXAS HORSE OWNERS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skittlebittie

Reaction score

To: [email protected]

Sent: 4/23/2009 6:21:03 A.M. Central Daylight Time

Subj: Help Needed HB 378

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is important to all Texas horse owners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please take 30 seconds to submit your support on this petition. www.livestocknetwork.com/hb378

Vote YES to HB 378. The Texas legislative session is half-way over so time is of the essence...

Please forward this email to everyone you know in TEXAS!!!!!!!

Thank you,

John Wayne Peters

Stephenville, TX

* The Texas State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners is sending cease and desist letters to honest, hardworking Texans who file horses’ teeth for a living.

* H.B. 378 will save jobs, protect horse owners from high prices, and continue to safeguard Texas’ horses.

* Filing horses’ teeth is an accepted livestock management practice similar to shoeing, dehorning, tail docking, and castration—all legally performed in Texas without a veterinary license.

* Floaters have been safely filing horses’ teeth in Texas for over a century. They learn the trade through hands-on apprenticeships or specialized schools in Texas and elsewhere.

* H.B. 378 codifies what was—until the Board unilaterally changed its interpretation of existing law in 2007—a common understanding that filing horses’ teeth is one of many livestock management practices that do not require a veterinary license.

* H.B. 378 does not change Texas’ strict regulation of equine sedatives.

* The Texas Farm Bureau supports H.B. 378 and included it in its policy manual because this legislation matters to Texas horse owners.

* There is a shortage of large animal veterinarians in Texas, most of who possess neither the training nor the tools to properly float horses' teeth. If floaters are forced out of business, there will be a shortage of individuals to meet the dental needs of the over 1 million horses in Texas.

* Most veterinary students receive no education about floating... Texas A&M offers only two-weeks in an elective that few vet students choose to take in their fourth and final year.

* Only a subset of veterinarians supports the Board’s sudden and unstudied change in the law. Those few veterinarians want to fence out competitors so they can monopolize floating and charge higher prices.

* Texas’ more than 275,000 horse owners are in the best position to choose who should work on their horses’ teeth.

I don't live in Texas. All I can say is good luck Carl and everyone else out there who does that type of work. I would much rather have Carl do my horses' teeth than a vet - anyday!!!!! When Carl did my horses' teeth in January they continuously had their ears up!!! Didn't seem to bother them a bit.

Barbie

Can you put the link up there to the site to vote? I am leaving here shortly and cannot do it until this evening. They have this month only to decide on this bill.

This is URGENT!

Here it is: Please vote and show your support of this bill.

http://www.livestocknetwork.com/hb378/

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bumping this back up to the top.......important for all to see. Time is running out on this, something should come out of committee next week.

Jan

Bumping it back up again. Vote, Vote, Vote!
default_smile.png

I just voted and urge everyone, particularly you small herd owners to support this bill. It is imperative that we keep this option open to us all.

Back