arthritis in 4 yr old mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crossbuck Farms

Reaction score
Our mini stallion is 4 yrs old. He was born here. He has just diagnosed with bone on bone arthritis in the shoulders. We had him x-rayed at an equine hospital. He may need total shoulder replacement. I was wondering it anyone could help us anyway with info or surgery options.

[SIZE=14pt]We just got the same diagnosis on GQ who is 4 and had suffered an injury in Nov that caused this to set up. He has complete wasting of his muscle on that left side as a results. He was given an intrabursal injection today of a steroid, something to add some viscus fluid to the joint as a cushion and an antibiotic. He was started on Glucosamine. His prognosis is poor. Why does your stallion have this in both shoulders? Was he injured or is this an anomaly that may be inherited?[/SIZE]

Lyn

Thats where I'm not sure if it is genetic or injury. I own both dad and mom and niether has put out offspring with condition. I have not bred the 4 yr old stallion and will probaly geld him. The odd thing with his injury is almost over night he went from totally fine to dead lame in the front. He was shown just like your horse and did well.

[SIZE=14pt]Is it in one or both shoulders?[/SIZE]

Lyn

[SIZE=14pt]If it is in both then it most likely wasnt caused by a trauma..... so sorry to hear about that. Hope you find some answers that are better than mine. I never heard of that occuring out of the blue![/SIZE]

Lyn

That's just what I was thinking Dona. OSTEOCHONDRITIS DISSECANS

I'd also get another opinion and more x rays done elsewhere.

This is way too serious not to.

You're way too good a horse mommy. This is just so unfair. You know I'm here for you if you need to chat.

Good luck
default_pray.gif
:

Kind of sounds like OCD (OSTEOCHONDRITIS DISSECANS )

Here's a good site explaining it.

OCD was my first thought after reading your description of his symptoms.

Thanks for that link Dona, it has several good articles of interest!

Thankyou so much. We are most likely going to Ohio State Hospital for more answers. It's look like this is going to be costly.

Latest posts

Back