Anyone know anything about scorpions?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charley

Reaction score
I am doing some bookkeeping for a company through GoToMyPC and only have access at night as they use it all day. So I was sitting here at the computer just after midnight and felt something crawl onto my foot. I shook my foot and looked down to see a small scorpion on the rug. :no: I killed it and felt so lucky that it didn't sting me.

Anyway I have never seen one before and would like to know what I should do. Would you bug bomb the house? Call the exterminator? Move? :eek: Oh, I live in the mountains in northern Georgia.

We also have little squirrels that are "oh so cute" and "oh so destructive". So I bought a live trap a few weeks ago and was told to use corn in it. All I got were ants. So yesterday I put in shelled peanuts and caught a "cutie" this morning, drove him about five miles down the road. He read me the riot act as I worked to figure out how to let him out. He is now relocated and I feel so lucky that I did not get bitten.

One down and about a billion more to go! Spent $30 on the trap and a couple bucks for gas but I saved the price of a bullet and he lives to see another day. I did good and let him out in a very remote wooded area. :aktion033:

Umm, sorry no idea about scorpions, other than what I have seen on the discovery channel or animal planet, LOL.
default_smile.png
Thanks goodness it's not something I need to worry about in PA. good luck with that. And good deed with the squirrel. :aktion033: The squirrels on my farm provide lots of hours of entertainment for us at different times of they year. They can be pests , but still cute lil' beggers!

well around here we have LOTS of scorpions, and you are right to be happy you didn't get bit... i'd recommend calling an exterminator myself... better safe than sorry!

by the way a black light, at night, will make them glow, if you want to make sure your space is "clean" before you settle in to work!

Scorpions are similar to spiders. So they would probably be "exterminated" similarly to spiders. But they DO eat quite a lot of other icky bugs so they aren't all that bad. I used to be terrified of them, they really are NOT as "cute" as spiders are. It took me a long time to get the guts to hold the African Emperor scorpions in my bare hands. Sometimes they get kind of tame... you can pick them up by their tails like mice.

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes they get kind of tame... you can pick them up by their tails like mice.
Aack! Scorpions are not my friends LOL. I will say the sting is not as bad as I thought it would be - at least the ones we have around here - but still no picnic, and they are just creepy. I've been stung twice since we moved out here (in my slipper once and in my bed!) They are hard to kill, aside from the bottom of the shoe method. FYI, vinegar takes the sting away if you do tangle with them.

Jan

Let the business owner know and hope they exterminate..........otherwise, do NOT take your shoes off while working there!

(I think they're like cockroaches........they multiply and the parents get BIGGER.) :new_shocked:

I got a very RUDE awaking one night while in bed. I got stung 2 times~! BOY did that hurt. Felt like I had been Branded by a very hot branding iron~!!

I put ice cubes on the spot.

My whole arm was tingling (You know the feeling when you arm goes to sleep that feeling)

I did NOT go back to sleep that night~!

did not do anything for it but just the ice cubes.

This was while I was living in Tempe, AZ.

Now back in WI. I don't have to worry about such things YEAH.

We bombed the house and we are wearing slippers during the day and change to shoes to go outside. We were told by the exterminator not to treat the outside until fall as it would drive them inside if they are under the house....we will wait until they are not active when it starts getting colder.

We got a package from Texas just this last week and we think that maybe they had hitchhiked in. I'm sure that if they did they are all dead now. They were real slow and I think they couldn't find anything to eat or drink once they were inside.

I'm still glad that I didn't get stung.

The ones in this part of the country (Arkansas, Mississippi, Georgia) are toxic but not nearly as toxic as the ones in Arizona, etc. They can cause an anaphylactic reaction.....I know that from first hand experience. About 20 minutes after getting nailed by the little sucker, my lips and tongue started to feel thick and numb. And they do HURT like crazy-felt like I'd been stabbed by a red-hot poker.

Now I keep benadryl on hand.

Latest posts

Back