Anyone else have a "spinner"?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakbrooke Farm

Reaction score
I have a 3 year old who has an odd habit - he spins counter clockwise.
default_wacko.png
: He does this when I turn him out and also while in his stall. Anyone have experience with this or seen anything like it?

tiny did this when she was a yearling and it was an inner ear infection. just a thought!

well she kept spinning constantly and holding her head funny so I called the vet. He said that was usually a symptom of an ear infection. Sure enough when he looked in he could see the infection. He gave her a pain killer and then antibiotics. She also was shaking her head a lot kinda like a dog that has an ear infection.

Had a gelding that did that, drove me absolutely nuts!

He was a very hard keeper because he was always on the move
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
:

He was a nervous, highly strung little thing.

He would always go counter clockwise, round and round and round :eek:
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
:

He was very well bred, that is to say top show lines. I think they were bred for a look and a "show" attitude, he acted like he had ADD...certainly was not a good match for me!

This may not be similar to yours but this was my experience!

Hey Luanne, is this a new horse you recently may have purchased?

How long has it been going on?

No Marty, I have had this guy since he was born. He seems to be off in the hind end. His mother had what the vet called a loose stifle and he has it too, just that his mother was not a spinner. The symptoms of the weak stifle are that when walking, the hind hoof kind of bears to the outside with a slight rocking motion. This is the begger who stepped on my toe! He has always walked this way, but the spinning started within the last couple months. Plus, he is a difficult critter. He is bad to walk and real bad to trim his feet as he leans a lot.

Latest posts

Back