any Geneology buffs out there?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norah

Reaction score
Hello ,

Living in Europe has me wondering about our herritage . I have an idea about the Amish people in America , and i would like to see if my theory is correct. I feel like I am living in an Amish community , maybe knowing more about their culture and why they live the way they do would help me understand the Swiss culture.... I also think its facanating to learn about cultures that refuse to change over the years . Our village is about 50 years or more behind America ... frustrating at times , but also simple provided you follow the rules . Can anyone educate me ?

IMG_1405.JPG

IMG_1410_edited.JPG

246756_2061634910129_1522396911_32343287_6899019_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Norah, I cannot help with any facts about the Amish, unfortunately. Do a google search for their history, and I imagine you can learn a great deal.

For anyone starting out, to learn their own genealogy, THE very best place is the LDS. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They have been keeping very correct records of billions across the world, for many years now.

Ancestry.com is not necessarily the best place to find reliable records, since anyone can write anything on there. Plus you have to pay. The LDS is free to all.

Lizzie

Hi Norah, what would you like to know. I am friends with Amish people so I could ask them just about anything.

Hi sampleMM ,

I am guessing that they come from the Swiss Alps .I believe the living styles are just about the same . Here they are doing things in the same way that things would be done many years ago ( more or less) for example ... we treat almost all illnesses first with Camomille tea , arnika for skin inflamations , compresses with herbs. we drink Appenzeller liquor after dinner when we feel "full" 21 herbs in that mix , and it heals all . The older generation does not drive , all children go to church from 9 am till noon every wednessday , then home for the remainder of the day. Lunches for children and men are prepared by the "Frau" at home from 12- 2 everyday. The women stay at home and tend to the needs of the family and garden. Every good hausfrau has a garden, a chicken coop , and usually goats and sheep . The women feed the newborns, they pick up the empty milk cans home , but the men are the ones that do the milking and bring the cans to the dairy every night . Usually milk cans are kept in the water trofs on the street ....the water from the Glaciers above the village trickle down through a natural filtration system of pete moss, dirt , rocks grass etc .. through underground pipes to the water trofs on the streets , a few years back there were no fences in the village and all cows, sheep HORSES pigs goats ran free in the streets ...can you imagine that for an ASPC horse ?????? actually kinda cool , but I would never sleep at night knowing my show horses were out mingeling with the pigs ...

anyway I think there is a HUGE Swiss influence in the Amish herritage ... maybie you could ask your friend : )

Do you have some of your horses in Europe ? I went to one of out big shows last weekend, and I thought we had a few Idols there ; )

Norah, I can see why you think the Amish is similar to your culture. I know they are definitely into the natural/herbal type medicines and their work ethic sounds very similar. I can't image how beautiful it must be in the Swiss Alps. It sounds so charming, I am jealous.

No, my Idol son has been showing since he was two so he has yet to breed any mares but I have a feeling come spring that he's going to be a very happy boy.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back