ANOTHER SCAMMER?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
BEING NEW TO INTERNET SELLING, I SEEM TO BE GETTING A LOT OF WEIRD POTENTIAL HORSE BUYERS. THE LATEST ONE IS YELANDY OR YELANDE COLE. SHE SPELLS HER NAME BOTH WAYS. I ASKED WHERE SHE WAS LOCATED AND DIDN'T GET AN ANSWER. SHE DID SEND ME A PHONE NUMBER WHICH I TRACED BACK TO WEST VIRGINIA. I HAVE NOT TRIED TO CALL IT YET . IN HER E-MAILS SHE ASKS ME FOR THE INFORMATION THAT IS LISTED IN MY AD. AND OF COURSE THERE IS THAT "BROKEN ENGLISH" AS IF SHE IS FOREIGN. I AM LOCATED IN MISSISSIPPI MYSELF SO SOMEONE INTERESTED IN MY HORSE FROM SUCH A DISTANCE WOULD HAVE TO PAY MORE THAN I AM ASKING FOR MY HORSE JUST FOR SHIPPING. I WOULD HATE TO LOSE A SALE BUT I AM A LITTLE HESITANT IN ALL THIS. HAS ANYONE ELSE HEARD FROM YELANDE OR YELANDY? THANKS, CW

I'm not sure what to advise not having seen what she's said / asked. But, I have shipped minis to me in Virginia from Brandon, MS (and so happy that I did!!!). I've had horse professionally hauled from MS, AR, KY, WI and had them sold from her to NY and IN. It's really rare for me to find something I would like to buy locally.

Post the content of her email and we could probably tell right away. I am guessing it is probably a scam, but there is no harm in answering her anyway just in case. After all, if you read much of this forum we have members here that can't spell worth a darn or use the language properly..... :DOH!

No harm can happen to you unless you try to cash their check(s).

I went as far with one scammer as to receive postal money orders from him, then turned them over to the post office and informed him what I did.

Funny, never heard from him again.

I would tell someone that I suspected was a scammer that I only accepted bank transfers and they must pay the shipper and not through me.

I would tell someone that I suspected was a scammer that I only accepted bank transfers and they must pay the shipper and not through me.

Hey Guys,

I am going to try to post what made me wonder about this person. She starts by saying she hasn't heard from me. I had not been able to check my e-mail for one day. But notice how she spells her own name differently. I did write her back and I have not heard from her yet. The things that makes me wonder the most are her questions. They were all covered in the ad that she was responding to. Just thought it sort of weird that she didn't know what breed , color, sex, registration number , etc she is looking to buy when it was all covered by the ad. Okay, the next line starts her e-mail.

I have not heard from you?

Yewande

On Jan 19, 2008 7:28 AM, yewande cole <[email protected]> wrote:

Thank you , i am grateful for the response can you give me the details below so that it will help me to open a further discussion to my husband how we can purchase the horse i will likewise need this information for the VET who is going to do the inspection on the horse alongside with an agent ,after we must have seal a concrete deal thank you.

Details i needed to know

Date Foaled:
Height:
Color:
Reg. Number:
Horse Skills or Potential:
Breed:
then you last Asking Price.

Yours Yewandy

SCAM< SCAM<SCAM<SCAM<SCAM
default_yes.gif
:DOH!
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
default_xbud.gif
default_xreiter.gif
default_xreiter.gif

I get ones like this all of the time and I sell Minis and Tibetan Terriers

SCAM. Too many vague questions asking things you probably said in your ad. If you advertise you will eventually get these, I usually just delete but you can always have some fun with them like sfmini, then turn it over to the authorities.
default_smile.png

Jan

I did a check on her and found this

She is looking for a roommate

Name: yewande

Email: [email protected]

Then I found on a chat room that she is 28 and living in England.

So I would say yes that this is a scam as seems like she's living all over the place.

I would just put a block on that addy and foget it.

Last edited by a moderator:
SCAM< SCAM<SCAM<SCAM<SCAM
default_yes.gif
:DOH!
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
default_xbud.gif
default_xreiter.gif
default_xreiter.gif

I get ones like this all of the time and I sell Minis and Tibetan Terriers
Okay, stupid question but I don't sell anything.

Just exactly what are scammers and what are they trying to do ?

Most scams are broken English. Ask questions that are very vague. Like how much is horse. Tell me more about item you have for sale. Your price is good, I will buy. They will ask all of the questions that you have already answered. Some of them are getting better and their English is getting better. But, all of them will agree to buy your item and want to send you a cashiers check for more than the price of the horse. You are supposed to send the difference to their agent, hauler, etc. DO NOT FALL FOR!!

I agree!! This is a big scam. I would not even reply!! Your first hint that I thought so was that she couldnt even spell her name correctly.

They try to get bogus money orders and checks cashed, or want your bank info to deposit money (yeah, right)

There is a new scam now too... foreign people CALLING you, when you run an ad in the paper for something. The numbers read as (222) 222-2229 was the one I got (several times a day I might add). When I was finally home and caught it (calling at 7:30 a.m.) a foreign lady told me she was calling about the puppies I had for sale in the paper. However, I am in AZ and she claims to be in Wash D.C.... and, I had KITTENS for sale, not puppies. When I told her she was a scammer, and lose the number and dont EVER call me again, she said 'Oh, ok'. So watch for this new one too!!

I agree!! This is a big scam. I would not even reply!! Your first hint that I thought so was that she couldnt even spell her name correctly.
They try to get bogus money orders and checks cashed, or want your bank info to deposit money (yeah, right)

There is a new scam now too... foreign people CALLING you, when you run an ad in the paper for something. The numbers read as (222) 222-2229 was the one I got (several times a day I might add). When I was finally home and caught it (calling at 7:30 a.m.) a foreign lady told me she was calling about the puppies I had for sale in the paper. However, I am in AZ and she claims to be in Wash D.C.... and, I had KITTENS for sale, not puppies. When I told her she was a scammer, and lose the number and dont EVER call me again, she said 'Oh, ok'. So watch for this new one too!!

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

I just got another e-mail from Yelande/Yelandy confirming to me she is a scammer. So beware of Ms Cole. Here is what she has said now:

Dear,

Thank you for your swift response to my inquiry. Please note that i have forwarded the info to the VET and i am negotiating with an agent right now who is ready to pick. The specified amount $900 is okay by me. And you will receive a total amount sum of $2550.00 from my secretary in money order or a personal check whichever way you prefer please let me know.

While I am paying you the sum of 2550.00$? is that, am buying a TRAILER for the horse and also the agent am contacting for the pickup ask for western union only, but am not comfortable with that ideal so I decided to add his fee charges to your payment, which will be remitted to him via western union money transfer by you.But you will have to keep the transfer details slip with you prior to his arrival, which you will give to him in person, so What you have to do is once you receive the payment, deduct your fee and have the balance sent to his information wish I will provide later. Once the transfer is made e-mail or scans the details slip to me for record purpose.

So, as I have said earlier you will receive a total amount of sum $2550.00 from my secretary in money order or a personal check whichever way you prefer let me know If you are ok with my options, which I think is safe for both parties, please kindly forward your payment mailing address to me in this form below:

Name as it should appear on the check or the Money Order

Contact Address…{not pox box}

Valid phone number or cell phone…

Thank you.

Once again, she already has my phone numbers because the ad contained them. I just hope she can't find me (and I know that she can) by checking out my phone number, etc.) From now on, only my cell phone will be allowed on my ads. That is why I use a PO Box on my website already. I do not have phone numbers on my website. Thanks for everyone's input and efforts. I haven't responded back to the woman but I think I will just tell her that I don't deal in $ transfers to anyone. She will have to work out her own problems with her horse trailer purchase. Any input as to what I should really tell her? I would like to say " I know you think I am stupid and I know that you are a SCAMMER so get lost and leave me alone!!!" Man, why does everything have to be so complicated.

Hey,

Maybe I should tell her thanks and ask her when will she be getting in from England. I have a son who has lived in Washington DC and maybe he could help her to find a nice apartment there and that he may even know of someone who might be willing to be her roommate!! They are around her age of 28. And they could help her to learn how to spell her name correctly!!!
default_smile.png
Just kidding.

I did turn one scammer into the person running the ad website. He said by the time they get someone on the case the scammer is always gone.

Thanks Everyone. I love this place. I wish I had more time to play on here. I had to laugh when I saw SCAM, SCAM, SCAM from you all and the cute smilies riding the stick horse and all. Made me feel good inside.

CW

I just got another e-mail from Yelande/Yelandy confirming to me she is a scammer. So beware of Ms Cole. Here is what she has said now:

Dear,

Thank you for your swift response to my inquiry. Please note that i have forwarded the info to the VET and i am negotiating with an agent right now who is ready to pick. The specified amount $900 is okay by me. And you will receive a total amount sum of $2550.00 from my secretary in money order or a personal check whichever way you prefer please let me know.

While I am paying you the sum of 2550.00$? is that, am buying a TRAILER for the horse and also the agent am contacting for the pickup ask for western union only, but am not comfortable with that ideal so I decided to add his fee charges to your payment, which will be remitted to him via western union money transfer by you.But you will have to keep the transfer details slip with you prior to his arrival, which you will give to him in person, so What you have to do is once you receive the payment, deduct your fee and have the balance sent to his information wish I will provide later. Once the transfer is made e-mail or scans the details slip to me for record purpose.

So, as I have said earlier you will receive a total amount of sum $2550.00 from my secretary in money order or a personal check whichever way you prefer let me know If you are ok with my options, which I think is safe for both parties, please kindly forward your payment mailing address to me in this form below:

Name as it should appear on the check or the Money Order

Contact Address…{not pox box}

Valid phone number or cell phone…

Thank you.

Once again, she already has my phone numbers because the ad contained them. I just hope she can't find me (and I know that she can) by checking out my phone number, etc.) From now on, only my cell phone will be allowed on my ads. That is why I use a PO Box on my website already. I do not have phone numbers on my website. Thanks for everyone's input and efforts. I haven't responded back to the woman but I think I will just tell her that I don't deal in $ transfers to anyone. She will have to work out her own problems with her horse trailer purchase. Any input as to what I should really tell her? I would like to say " I know you think I am stupid and I know that you are a SCAMMER so get lost and leave me alone!!!" Man, why does everything have to be so complicated.

Another thing you want to start watching out for is wire transfers. I have had a few liget buyers this year from out of the country that wired transfered money into my account. Then I had someone from California wanting do do the same thing, this time on a puppy. He was foreign, but said he was from California. Well, because it was a puppy and not a horse, I got worried, as he could overnight me a bank check. So I told him that I would contact my bank and get back to him the next day. I called my bank and they told me to never give out my bank information, No more giving out of Routing numbers or my own checking account number, as they could then have checks made from those numbers and go to town.

The next day the foreingner from California overnighted me a check, so he too was legit. But it started me thinking, what if he was not....

Latest posts

Back