Another Pasture Breeding Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintedMeadows

Reaction score
My stud is now 2 years old and I am going to be putting him in with my 2 mares next month. Question is, he was in with these mares until mid winter. He has been with them since he was 10 months old. Will this affect how he reacts around them? Will he still try to breed them? Will they take him seriously and let him? The one mare just turned 3 so this is her first breeding. The other mare is 7 and is due to have her 4th foal any day. What do you all think?
default_unsure.png
:

Nature will take over as that is what he is intended to do - yes, if he is ready, he will try breeding your mares. Of course, obviously not the one already bred til later, LOL

I think your stud will be more than happy to run with the mares. If the time is ready, I am sure he breeds them.

Give him time he is young.

Good luck and beautiful foals

Anita

Little Texas Minis

Sulphur Springs RX

I would NO WAY put him back until after the mare has foaled and everything is OK and the mare has settled down.

Someone will get hurt, for sure.

At two he is not old enough to have all the correct instincts- Nature may take care of her own but no where in Nature does a two year old colt get to breed mares- all they ever do is hang out in male herds and dream, and practise.

After they have fought a mature male off and won a herd for themselves, around five or six years old, THAT is when they breed.

Some never do.

Take your time, breed the three year old in hand the first couple of times and wait till the mare has foaled.

Better safe than sorry.
default_yes.gif
:

I would absolutely wait until the older mare foals, and the foal is going STRONG before putting them together. I base this on the experiences I had when doing the exact thing you are talking about.

I had about a 50/50 reaction to my stud that had grown up with the herd. Some accepted him right away with no problems. But some did NOT take him seriously and they fought and fought with him. It took them several months to settle. They would stand by the fence and call and call for my old retired stallion who was 1/4 mile away. They could not see him, but they could hear each other's faint calls. This is now my third season with this younger stud and I still have one mare that just really doesn't want to be bred to him. She finally gives in, but she is not happy about it. Other things to consider:

1) Although your stud is probably mature enough to do the job physically, he may not be ready to take on the new position in the herd socially. Sometimes they have a hard time finding the courage to be aggressive enough to earn the position. They are used to obeying these mares, not going against them, and they just might be too shy to force the issue if the mares put up any resistance. This is what my stud did at 2 yrs old. He did manage to get a couple of the calmer mares bred that year.

2) Conversly, if he is ready to assume the position, he will not have any manners at all. All he will have is a GO button! Around and around they will go. He will chase them unmercifully. You might see the mares dribbling urine down their legs in an attempt to show submission, or in an effort to get him to realize they are not quite ready. He will not know enough to wait for just the right scent to get his timing right. Sometimes even if they do stand for him, he tries innovative positioning and then gets mad at them when it won't work! Since the young mare won't know what she is doing either, it will be up to the older mare to teach him the appropriate behaviors. She probably won't tolerate his aggression and ineptness. There will be a lot of fighting and you don't want the foal caught in between.

3) I had the best luck hand breeding the young mares to the young stallions. It seemed to work best to let them both learn the program in a controlled situation. With the older mares foal to consider, it would also be safer for the baby to hand breed.

For what it is worth, I have been around several 2, 3, and 4 year old stallions many times and I think the three year olds were the worst behaved. They were old enough to be very, VERY ready to do their jobs, but young enough that they had not yet been taught any manners by the mares.

Every situation is different so you may not have any of these things occur, but at least you can be prepared for them if they do! Best wishes in your integration efforts!

Thanks for all the great advice. My mare is due to foal any day and it will be at least a month before I put Levi in with them. I will keep a close eye on everything. He is a really sweet guy but I know how hormones can change things in a hurry. He challenged my Clyde for goodness sake! lol. They are seperated and will be forever now. Anyways, thanks again.

Latest posts

Back