Another Candiadate for AMHA President - Incumbent

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWC sr.

Reaction score
Okay folks, today I received this email and was ask to post it to this forum. Like I said before I am not sure how I got this job, but I am glad to see the candidates realizing that there are a lot of good people that are interested and concerned on this forum.
default_aktion033.gif

Maybe next we will get some of the other candidates for the other offices. LOL

Jim Barenklau

President of AMHA

Miniature Horse Experience. My wife, Lynn, and I have been actively involved with miniature horses since 1986 and we currently have 35 minis.

I have previously served for two terms on the Board of Directors and am experienced with the operation of the Board and Parliamentary Procedures.

I have faithfully attended the Annual Meetings, missing only 1 meeting since 2000.

I have attended every Central Championship and World Show since 2001.

I have worked two Championship Shows and World Shows when we where deeply in financial trouble.

I have logged more than twenty memberships on various committees during my involvement with AMHA.

I have participated on eleven hearings in the Office.

We show locally and at the championship level.

I started the only local AMHA show in South Dakota and have managed it with success and a positive financial balance every year since 2004.

Real World Business & Organizational Experience: I bring more than 25 years of business experience at the management level in the agribusiness meat processing industry. In this capacity I was responsible for the overall performance of a team of 325, working in the management and union labor environment. I participated in management negotiations for the union contracts 4 times providing me the experience understanding the business needs of both sides of a complex business situation, as well as crafting the balanced solution that is most acceptable to the different goals of the parties.

Additionally, I have severed on our local School Board 8 years. Here I gained the experience of preparing a multi million dollar budget, obtaining approval for the budget and most importantly following that budget.

When I began my term on this School Board they were using Excel for budget preparation and tracking, I guided them to begin using a comprehensive financial accounting software package so they could analyze their budget expenditures and make projections before things became serious and avoid a very bad financial environment.

I also was the driving force in getting a building project approved even though a significant part of the community initially didn’t support the project. I persevered and as the project neared completion, 90% of the community supported the project. This is what leaders do.

As you can see I have served AMHA loyally, have been supportive through the good times and bad, have a depth of experience on the Board and on Committees.

I have been able to work with all of the political factions in AMHA, have significant real world business experience and a very sound knowledge of computers and technology, and am the only candidate that has experience with computer programs used by equine registries.

The continued future success of AMHA rests in your hands, we all know under my leadership we have made some necessary changes that have resulted in a sound financial position and improved operations in the office.

There are additional improvements that are still needed and I believe AMHA needs someone who has the experience across the various disciplines required of any AMHA President. I have demonstrated successful performance using my wisdom, loyalty and experience serving AMHA and ask that you once again place your trust in me and give me your vote for your President. As American businessman Bert Lance wrote in Nation's Business (1977) “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it”.

Thanks for posting this John.

I have worked with Jim on AMHA committees for many years now and find him to be an honest and fair person who strongly believes in working within the rules set by the membership of the AMHA.

He has made a lot of personal and financial sacrifices to fulfill his duties as president.

Most importantly, he THINKS carefully before speaking, something that is essential in this position as something wrongly worded can result in major negative consequences for the organization.

He has been instrumental in bringing together the current agreement for the upcoming computer system which has been in development and I believe may be ready for testing very soon. This agreement is a win win win for AMHA as there will be no money out of our pockets until we agree that the application is what we need. As someone who has been in IT for over 25 years, that is just unheard of.

I know that my vote in Kentucky will be for Jim.
default_biggrin.png
default_smile.png

I will not be in Kentucky, but I would most definitely vote for Jim if I were! When on a computer committee with Jim numerous years ago now, he was very responsive and really was trying to find solutions. I believe him to be thoughtful and progressive.

Glad to hear that he is running again. I hope he gets voted in.

Although I wanted to, I wasn't planning and resisted on responding to these threads on this subject... but since we are going though a transition phase with our local club and observing some of the same issues I've seen mentioned in these threads... I'd like to make a statement and request after all.

In any officer election situation, being it in high school, college, local or national politics, the incumbents are typically able to "advertise" or voice their plans for our future... using their organizations newspapers, posters, signs and rallies proclaiming WHAT issues they will address... WHEN will they work on them and HOW they feel they can change, fix or make them better? If you have already served (and absolutely meaning no offense to Jim's statement) and not just directing this at his "campaign promises/speech", but to anyone running... having meeting attendance, shows participation and oversight of personnel etc. is great experience, but what did you feel you accomplished in your term as AMHA President or other office and what do you want to accomplish if you are elected again... specifically what did you contribute? Success should be a visable result, not just a self statement.

Its unfortunate that the majority of the voting membership cannot afford to take off the time, nor absorb the financial cost to be there to vote... no matter how strongly they feel... AND SHOULD NOT BE TOLD THEY DON'T CARE just because they can't.

I also believe that the incumbents should be able to utilize the club publications to solicit their goals and ideas, especially if it is at no financial cost to the club. You just don't learn enough about the people running for offices in a typical bio. I don't know about others members, but... hey incumbents... I'd like to know some specifics... what do you think needs fixed, changed or modified and how are you planning to do it? = )

Information on each candidate will be posted on the AMHA website. That can be done at little to no cost. Printing pages in the magazine is not free nor is it cheap.

As for the other comment on what he has accomplished, I agree with you and will contact him and try to get that info.

Information on each candidate will be posted on the AMHA website. That can be done at little to no cost. Printing pages in the magazine is not free nor is it cheap.As for the other comment on what he has accomplished, I agree with you and will contact him and try to get that info.

Thanks and yes I realize there will be the information/ bios on the website = ) Us little people and long distant members don't always see the internal accomplishments or differences some of the officers may have obtained.

I don't mean to pick on Jim... he's just there right now to use as an example... LOL Another for instance are the trips to Europe. What has been accomplished and/or established ... who all actually benefits from those visits or maybe better asked... how did it change the current relationships and how did it help AMHA's members overall? Is it also to encourage american horse sales? Are there some success stories to share? Stuff like that.

As I said in the post regarding Gary Barnes, give me specifics and not just buzz words or slogans. So that I can make an informed decision on any election I am involved with.
default_wink.png

Maybe Jim can expound on his thoughts for the future and what he feels have been his accomplishments of the last year.
default_aktion033.gif

I personally know of several I have been told about by other members, but it needs to come from the horses mouth. LOL I liked that spin on words.

Also you other candidates for the other offices, Lets hear from you too. You as a supporting cast are just as important as the president is.
default_yes.gif

If you do not want to post it yourself, send it to me at [email protected] and I will post it for you.
default_rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I spoke with Jim on the phone and he gave me a bullet pointed list of items so some of this comes from my head, but the specific subject comes from Jim. Any mistakes contained in this list are mine, not his as some of this comes from my memory.

Some of the accomplishments of the existing EC and BOD, has to be listed this way as this was a year of a team effort. No one person can accomplish much alone, but as a team, much can happen.

So, under Jim's leadership here are some highlights:

wickets - BOD will be testing them to see how they work at shows in comparison of using measuring sticks. There will be a wicket for each height class and the horse will measure in or out. For now, the measuring stick will be the official measurement, the wicket outcome will be compared to the sticks to see if the wicket system might be a better measurement alternative.

There will be a World sale at no cost to us where before we paid much more than the BOD was led to believe. Double Diamond will be running this sale and will be 100% responsible for all costs associated with the sale. AMHA will make money if there is a profit, but will not spend a penny if there is a loss.

New computer system - progress is much further than ever before.

Jim actually sent thank you gifts to World Show sponsors paid for out of his own pockets. They were much appreciated.

Jim arranged for a well received hospitality room for world show. There was a little confusion because it was called the international hospitality room, and some of us Americans didn't think of ourselves as international.

Began the process to make a job description and assemble a committee to hire an office manager.

He listens to the employees in the office, respects them, and will respond to suggestions that make sense. Not done by other presidents in the recent past.

Led the EC and BOD to pass specific rules around rule breaking that has three levels of penalties, which will make all consequences to be equal with each offense. Until now, there was no consistent penalty defined so consequences varied. All rule infractions that result in the assessment of one of these penalties will be published in the Miniature Horse World.

It is hard to make much change in just a year, like any business, the AMHA is like one of those huge Navy ships that takes a long time to make a 360 degree turn.

As for the future, stay tuned, I'll get that next, but some of the future plans are listed above as ongoing projects.

As I said in the post regarding Gary Barnes, give me specifics and not just buzz words or slogans. So that I can make an informed decision on any election I am involved with.
default_wink.png

Maybe Jim can expound on his thoughts for the future and what he feels have been his accomplishments of the last year.
default_aktion033.gif

I personally know of several I have been told about by other members, but it needs to come from the horses mouth. LOL I liked that spin on words.

Also you other candidates for the other offices, Lets hear from you too. You as a supporting cast are just as important as the president is.
default_yes.gif

If you do not want to post it yourself, send it to me at [email protected] and I will post it for you.
default_rolleyes.gif

I wholeheartedly agree.... this information should come "directly" from the canidates mouth... if they wish to provide it... and no offence intended... but not from their mouth piece. You know, even some little things are important to some of us. Such as, I return all emails, calls and correspondences to members.

John, do you mind if I start a new topic, as this thread I believe this was meant for Jim, for the candidates to share their important issues, accomplishments and goals and possibly to answer questions from members? Town meeting style... LOL
default_biggrin.png
I would ask that it remain civil or will request for it to be removed of course, and will set a few ground rules (maybe you could help with this?).

Do we know who all the candidates are?

No, we don't know them all yet, and like I said, their bios will be posted on the AMHA website.

Most of the board members don't read LB, I am one of the few who does, so don't be surprised at any lack of response, it is not rudeness, they just won't know about it.

Thank you so much John for posting this as well as Gary's info. I too, would not only like to hear about people's life experiences and show careers but what they personally hold dear to their heart concerning the future of the AMHA and the horses. That, to me, is more important than the rest. Someone with horse sense, LOL

No I do not mind at all and would be in favor of anything to inform people about the different candidates as I would hope people base their votes on more than a popularity vote.

Anything I may get I from any of the candidates, I will post here. Because as SFmini stated there are very few that frequent this forum on a regular basis, unlike us more addicted people. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay... I'll start the new topic.

My guess is... if a canidate hears about this thread or understands (and that's who we're talking about here, the canidates... not the entire BOD = ) there is a way to reach a whole lot of members, whether they visit this site "regularly" or not... as I don't visit every day either.... my guess is if they believe they can actually benefit the AMHA with their election to the office... they'll want to share what they feel they can do. I doubt there is a one, that doesn't at least "know" about LB.
default_biggrin.png
I've seen some pretty well known names on this site... and there is probably a lot of "lurkers" LOL.

Good Day,

My suggestion would be like what Jean B. did for us in the elections of directors for the ASPC/AMHR. She put up on this very board their intentions under the site she created.

Karen

Back