Another aspect of Dwarfism

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candice

Reaction score
Minimal dwars present their own set of issues. Last year I purchased a very nice, very correct little mare in foal to a regional reserve champion. When our colt was born, aside from a bit of a domey head he appeared perfect. Even the vets (plural) who saw him didn't see dwarfism. By the time he was 3-3 1/2 mos old his minmal dwarfism literally screamed at us. His bite went off and he has an issue with one leg that is being treated at UF.

This colt (in my avatar driving his monster truck) is Mr. personality. He's a loud, very tiny black and white paint. Everyone who sees him falls in LOVE. I've had more people want to buy him. When I try to explain the horrible aspects of dwarfism to these people it falls on deaf ears. People don't want to hear it. All they see when they look at him is pure adorableness. No matter how hard I try, everything I point out about the horrors of severe dwarfs and what his life will be like for him as he ages just does not sink in. He has a companion. Our 9 mos old filly. They are 9 days apart in age. She is sheer perfection. Just stunning!!!! Yet because she is taller no one even sees her.

Here I am with my two babies side by side. One ultra tiny, black and white paint, obvious dwarf, from the head to the stocky build and pot belly and one very crooked leg. Onto my ultra refined, stunning, elegant, feminine, leggy, long hooky neck, tiny head, huge eye, drop dead gorgous filly. Everyone goes nuts over him and she is completely ignored.

The world doesn't have an eye on what is correct. Everyone loves the unusual. The realities of dwarfism and the fact that he is one doesn't matter to them. Breeders and exhitibors (those aware of the breed standard and who care about it) represent such a small portion of the human population.

I love that people enjoy our horses but when I run into this mentality in my small town, its happening in other places too. Many people do use dwarfs as therapy pets and they're out and about with them. How do you discourage the unscrouplous breeder from breeding for this result.

There are a lot of posts on here about recognizing traits and not breeding those horses who exhibit the obvious traits, but what about the pairings where no traits are apparent and still result in a dwarf foal.

I'm at a loss. My colt will stay with me for life. I read with interest recently a post on auction results where a dwarf foal sold for quite a bit of money. What message did that send to the new buyers in the market considering breeding and even to the rest of us? Something is WRONG here.

There are so many varied aspects to this dilemna and unfortunately no concrete solution. Until I learn more I won't be breeding anymore after this year. I didn't breed this colt, but I own him and his needs are great. There is a huge financial aspect to rasing a dwarf. I cannot get that into peoples heads either.

Very Frustrating!!!
default_no.gif

I agree with you! I also had a minimal dwarf this year. I did breed the foal. out of one of my mares and a national champion grand son. My dwarf BB Buttons is also a paint creamello and white. And everyone wants to buy her. They dont even want to look at my other horses. She too will stay with me for life. I had an astrinomical amount offered to me for her and I refused. As for the cost she has already had what they call Rodacocus pneumonia, and I have over $3,000. in her but I love her dearly. I even went and got 2 more dwarfs for her to have friends.As for the stallion I sold him before she was foaled,but I have let the new owner know that he threw a dwarf. And the mare I have found a nice pet home for. I have tried to tell people that she will ahve many health problems and they just look over that like thay dont even hear me. And what kills me is the breeders that sell them for big bucks. And as for the stallions blood lines I will not mention but they are none of the ones already mentioned. And I want to mention also I have a Komokos bred mare that does not look dwarfy and has not thrown dwarfs. And she is 31inches tall. I will say like I have before that if you gig far enough back you will find dwarf in all blood lines some where.

I am also very frustrated by this very same thing.I have had more than my share of dwarves and had most put down since they were too severe for survival.I did have one that I donated to a therapy rogram in TX ,Hearts and Hooves.Veronique Matthews , the director of the program, is very quick to pointo out ot people that these are very expensive to keep and have a very shortened life spam.It is equally frustrating to me when I see some of the big breeders and top names take these poor little dwarf foals to auctions where they often bring more money than a nicely formed horse.I think the answer is EDUCATION, but it is difficult when soem people only think about the money they can make on a dwarf.I personally think a dwarf should never be sold-only given to someone who will care for it and love it knowing all the problems they might encounter.I really wish the genetic testing for the dwarf gene would hurry up and get here soon.

I don't know that its just uneducated its the cute factor! Like a really cute tiny puppy, versus a really superb taller dog - people are drawn to the cute!

You can educate people all you want, but they'll still want cute. I had a guy earlier this year (Hollywood minor celeb) contact me about getting a dwarf to live in his house. I tried to educate him on why this wasn't a good idea and horses aren't dogs, etc., but he just found another breeder in my area to sell him a smaller mini!

We have a minimal dwarf here that will stay or will go to pet only home - likely stay. As too many see her and thing 'wow' on the breeding. Shes cute, buckskin, gorgeous head/neck but the leg to girth ratio while not horrid, it's not what I'm wanting to breed as far as conformation!

I suppose it will come down to a choice.

I already know of other breeders who do it deliberately (produce dwarfs) and make good money. I think in some cases the "good" foals are their by-product as they were touting how the dwarfs sold for three times what a solid colored colt would.

default_wacko.png

On the Photo and Video forum there was a post about Thumbalina, and a link to a pic of her w/some feedback. The comments on that post were pretty enlightening, if saddening.

I still think that if a breeder wants to avoid dwarf foals, they can reduce their risks of having them by thoroughly evaluating their breeding stock. Maybe not all dwarf births, but a good portion of them.

Liz M.

I see this a lot when I mention I have minis and bring out the pictures, they expect something like Thumbalina and when they see mine they say, "That isn't a mini, it just looks like a regular horse." Well, yeah, because they are mini horses, not dwarf mini horses! The whole point is tiny horses that look like horses!

They also seem to think my mare is a better mini because she is fat, short legged and long bodied (we are working on the fat part, she was really obese when I got her and I have been working on her weight slowly), but I think my gelding is a MUCH nicer horse than she is even though both are VERY much pet quality.

I do think it is the cute factor, though. I mean even here when someone posts a photo of a dwarf people say, "Oh, I'm sorry you ended up with a dwarf, what a shame, but it is SOOO cute!" I don;t think there is anything wrong with that reaction, but even being educated that reaction is certainly there because, well, many of them really ARE very cute.

As Michelle said, with people it's the cute factor. And also, with unscrupulous breeders, it the money factor playing off of the cute factor. Our four dwarfs are the highlights of everyone's visit to our ranch. Everyone, and I mean everyone from barely walking babies to the elderly, gravitate and stay by the dwarfs. Their adorable and loving personalities only enforce that. I also try to educate all but sometimes that just falls on deaf ears.

I have seen, and contacted with questions and concerns, several adds asking big money for dwarfs, especially on a highly traffiked horse sale board (no, not here). It's very scarey and ultimately the horse is the loser in this equation
default_no.gif

Candice, I would like to invite you to check out Janell Jensens, Little Bit's Magic Shoes. They have worked wonders for many horses with crooked legs, including my own little Dolly. If I had known about her years earlier, my Little Joey would not have one crooked leg. Please look into this for your wee little boy at http://www.littlemagicshoes.com Click through to page 3 and 4 especially, for unbelievable examples of before and after photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Michelle.......It IS the cute factor and also ignorance. And it's sad.

We can't stop the greedy uncaring dwarf breeders out there, but we can educate those who are willing to listen.

It's like the old saying -- We can't solve the problems of the world, but we can affect the little corner we live in. And if enough people work on their little corners, perhaps it will make a difference.

MA

I am also very frustrated by this very same thing.I have had more than my share of dwarves and had most put down since they were too severe for survival.I did have one that I donated to a therapy rogram in TX ,Hearts and Hooves.Veronique Matthews , the director of the program, is very quick to pointo out ot people that these are very expensive to keep and have a very shortened life spam.It is equally frustrating to me when I see some of the big breeders and top names take these poor little dwarf foals to auctions where they often bring more money than a nicely formed horse.I think the answer is EDUCATION, but it is difficult when soem people only think about the money they can make on a dwarf.I personally think a dwarf should never be sold-only given to someone who will care for it and love it knowing all the problems they might encounter.I really wish the genetic testing for the dwarf gene would hurry up and get here soon.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I completely agree. I personally volunteer with the only Canadian chapter of Hearts and Hooves (Edmonton,Alberta) and wish to thank you for this kind mention. We had a tiny little dwarf for a while and the first thing everyone was told about him was that he was a dwarf and what dwarfism was and how they should not be bred. These little dwarf have some of the biggest hearts as i'm such anyone who has been touched by one will agree. They need permanent loving homes where they can have other horse friends and live out their lives.

Latest posts

Back