Amish Breeders in Pennsylvania

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacharyfarms

Reaction score
Could anyone that has experience with any of the Amish miniature horse farms in Pennsylvania please PM me.

Thank you.

i JUST GOT BACK THIS WEEKEND FROM A WONDERFUL AMISH SALE IN MT. HOPE OHIO, HOLMES COUNTY. THIS COUNTY IS THE WORLDS LARGEST AMISH AND MENNONITE POPULATION. IT IS A WONDERFUL SALE AND HAS BOTH MINI HORSES AND MINI DONKEYS. I HAVE SEVERAL AMISH FRIENDS WHO ALSO RAISE MINIATURE HORSES FOR INCOME.

I BOUGHT A LOVELY CHAMPAGNE PINTO MARE FROM A AMISH BREEDER ON SATURDAY. I CAN SAY ONLY GOOD THINGS ABOUT THEM, WONDERFUL HORSEMAN, AND ALL OF THEIR HORSES COME LOOKING READY TO SELL. I HAVE NOT HAD ANY DEALINGS WITH THE PENNSYLVANIA AMISH, BUT I WOULD GUESS THEY ALSO, ARE GREAT HORSEMAN.

I know they all are not bad, but I have noticed ALOT of mini farms popping up in the Lancaster area with inexpensive pet quality horses. There are tons of ads in the Lancaster Farming paper every week for them. The state has really been cracking down on "puppy mills" which there are or were a lot of in this area. I am wondering if some of them are getting out of dogs and into minis? I know there are a couple farms on the forum that are in the Lancaster area that would know.

I know they all are not bad, but I have noticed ALOT of mini farms popping up in the Lancaster area with inexpensive pet quality horses. There are tons of ads in the Lancaster Farming paper every week for them. The state has really been cracking down on "puppy mills" which there are or were a lot of in this area. I am wondering if some of them are getting out of dogs and into minis? I know there are a couple farms on the forum that are in the Lancaster area that would know.
Yep I am right in northern Lancaster County- I too have noticed the ads in Lancaster Farming. My Amish neighbors had 2 minis when I first got into them - did not care for them - 2 ended up dead and one auctioned :no: ... I am aware that most Amish breeders (around here anyway) do not vaccinate. I know of some breeders in our area that are really striving for quality (which is our plan with the mini donkeys) but I feel the best we can do is educate...But just like anywhere you have the good and bad...

We go to Mt Hope all the time, every second saturday just to look around and see the beautiful place, Tracy what sale were they having? I know they are having one this saturday and were going down bc were stopping over at a friends farm to look at her Miniatures.

My Coco came from a amish guy from PA who brought him up here and was trained to drive and ride by amish people. He is pretty well trained, he is not trained on the level i would consider him ready so show country pleasure but he is safe. Im not a big fan of amish trained horses but Coco turned out okay.

I don't know what kind of mini you are looking for, if you are looking for a pet quality safe driving, they probably have what you want. I am not sure of the farm, but Gap is in the heart of Amish country.

I am not looking for a mini this is a potential customer. Just want to make sure of the quality of care and home. Hard to check with the lack of internet communication and visibility.

In my experience (we live just north of Holmes county which has a large Amish population) horses aren't pets to the Amish. They feed them and attend to their basic needs but don't see them as pets. The Standardbreds are a mode of transportation and a necessity to their way of life. We have quite a few ads which offer minis/ponies for sale that are broke to drive. The young Amish are the ones who break them. Alot aren't registered and sell for less than I can raise a foal for.

kareng

Kareng summed it up nicely.

The Amish are as varied as we are. Some take great care of their animals, some don't. Some of us take great care of our cars, some don't.

A lot of them look down on us 'English' and really dislike the 'English' women and won't even speak or do business with us, but want our husbands.

I know of one family (Amish) in Gap, Pa. They are a lovely family & the children really enjoy the minis. I think they have two or three miniatures. Not sure they would have any for sale. Their last name is Allgyer, (I think)
default_unsure.png
:

A lot of them look down on us 'English' and really dislike the 'English' women and won't even speak or do business with us, but want our husbands.

I KNOW THIS IS :eek:fftopic: , BUT I HAD TO ADD...THIS MADE ME SMILE! :bgrin

"A lot of them look down on us 'English' and really dislike the 'English' women and won't even speak or do business with us, but want our husbands."

I dunno what is meant by the above comment.......is it said in a joking way or what? I don't get it.

I live in an amish town (most of my neighbors are amish). They are good and they are bad. They are friendly and they are not. They work hard, they loaf. JUST LIKE ANY OTHER POPULATION.

Now as to their horsemanship -- they are good and they are bad. Depends on the individual. Just like us.

But, I have seen some very nice minis on their farms. And some not so nice.

They are very curious about mine & often stop to just look & talk. Or sometimes to inquire about buying. They will not, however, for the most part, spend as much as we would on a miniature. Many here (and there are different "sects" with different beliefs) don't believe in registering animals, so they won't pay more just because an animal is registered now. They won't bother to transfer it. So, when if you would buy from them, you need to make sure there are papers & the papers are in order. Sometimes they get them, but they are not transferred & sometimes are incomplete. Be cautious, that's all. Some really don't "get" the paper thing.

Now again, when I say "they," I don't mean "all" Amish are this way or that. It depends on the person & their beliefs.

As for talking to you or doing biz with a woman -- I've not had a problem. They are great neighbors. But you'd best be honest & forthright because they will talk.............as we do.

Last edited by a moderator:
It means what I said. Many of them will not speak or do business with women, only other men. Again, I am generalizing, like you said, they vary as much as we do, but as a rule do not do business with women.

i have had the same experience as sfmini. very disrespecful to women in general. Im sure not all are like this but the ones I have dealt with were. And horse skills ughhhh. Well since all of my experiences have been bad I wont even comment becauase I know there are good skilled amish horsepeople out there. I just have not met them yet.

I am sure there are some wonderful amish horsemen/women but unfortunately I see more of the latter in my dealings with a specific organization (rescue) around the New Holland, PA area, specifically the saddlebred breed. As mentioned by someone else, the amish do not consider their horses as "pets" because of the lifestyle they lead. Saddlebreds and Standardbreds are used as a mode of transportation and unfortunately they do not always receive the best of care. Over and over I have seen "emaciated" and "hurt" horses being brought to the auction in New Holland, many of them being driven to the auction only to be unharnessed and led to their fate of the waiting "meat" dealer. If it wasn't for the organization that was founded specifically to rescue these animals during the auctions or via "brokers" many would perish uneccesarily. I know my pocketbook this year has seen more moths in it because of this but I just can't stand idilly by and not contribute to the rescue of these animals that don't deserve such a fate. In the last few months we have seen quite a few miniature horses coming through the low end auctions in this area as well and I was told that the amish are getting involved in "breeding" minis as a business venture. Some of these minis that they are purchasing from the auction in New Holland do no have papers. The rescue is also trying to intercept as many miniatures as possible or at least contact individuals and other rescues who are able to help these miniatures out of a difficult situation. This week alone there are 5 miniatures that came through and are either in the hands of that rescue or in the hands of the "brokers"

We could argue about this a long time..........but, I just wanted to add that some Amish who have asked me about the business end of minis have been told by me that there is no profit in breeding unpapered animals. Know what? I've not seen those ones get into it when we've seriously talked about.

I have, however, seen someone (amish) get into breeding unregistered minis & not stay in it too long. English, by the way, do that too. They don't do well & end up selling out. And I'm sure some of the minis from English & Amish, both end up at auctions. I could tell you horror stories about the English auctions near here too. But, I believe it's English & Amish who both are incredibly good and incredibly bad to their horses.

And sorry, all my Amish MEN and WOMEN neighbors wave, stop by, do business when required, are polite, OR NOT. It again, I truly believe, depends on the nature of the individual. I always feel very lucky when someone is nice/civil to me -- english OR amish!

I agree with Little that their are "problems" with "some" people. It certainly isn't all amish and I hope my post didn't say that. One of the "broker's" that the organization I was speaking about is an amish gentleman and he works with our "organization" (saddlebreds) and helps in any way he can to get the papers for these animals when he can. He works with the rescue, not against us, and it certainly is appreciated when it comes time to try and find the identify of the horses that he purchases. His is a business and the only thing I have a difficult time with is that the horses in his charge are purchased and kept for 1 week period and then he takes them to auction where probably more than half end up going to the meat dealers
default_sad.png
:no: :no:

Last edited by a moderator:
We have sold 6 miniatures to a gentlemen in Honey Brook Pa that is Amish and he has a very nice farm and takes very good care of his animals. He had bought a stallion from us and 5 mares and was getting out of the hackney ponies and starting with miniatures. If you would like his name and address you can pm me or use my regular e-mail address as well. He also was raising real German Shepards imported breeding stock from Germany as well, very clean and professional person.

We have had various local amish people being brought down to work on our 1769 chestnut log barn and log farmhouse over the years and there are some "good" and "bad" amish people out there just like everything else in this crazy world.

It means what I said. Many of them will not speak or do business with women, only other men. Again, I am generalizing, like you said, they vary as much as we do, but as a rule do not do business with women.

Its not the Amish culture only here in Texas can be the same situation. A Real Estate Agent didn't sell me a house ( it was not cheap) because I am a woman. And all of that I have a strong accent.

Don't feel sorry for me I beat back

I did business with an Amish Gentleman from Indiana that was easy, short and simple. This what we all like

Just my two cents

Anita

Latest posts

Back