AMHA/AMHR/ASPC?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Amanda~

Reaction score
I've seen some people saying their horses are AMHA/AMHR/ASPC-registered.

As I'm understanding it, that means they are registered with the American Miniature Horse Association, the American Miniature Horse Registry, and the American Shetland Pony Club, correct?
default_unsure.png

Can someone explain to me how a horse can get registered with all three? I'm still new to Miniatures and I'm not sure of the rules of each of those registries.

Thank you for any help.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Amanda,

While I am not sure of AMHA rules if they allow hardshipping then is a horse that is registered AMHR/ASPC and is 34 inches and under they can be hardshipped into AMHA. Many small shetland ponies have been hardshipped into both AMHR and AMHA which would give them 3 sets of papers.

Example:

ASPC registered pony measure 33 1/2 inches can be hardshipped into AMHR and AMHA after reaching their mature height requirement.

Hope this helps you understand.

Arlene

Amanda,

I have a stallion that I purchased a few years ago that was registered aspc only and he was 33.5 inches tall. We had wanted to purchase this stallion since he was a weanling and finally when he became available we were lucky enough to own him! I hardshipped him into the amhr and then also paid to have him hardshipped, inspected by a director and dna paid so that he could be amha as well! I know there are others out there as well, as Ive seen a few!

We have been crossing Ten Ls Tigers Legacy, who is aspc, amhr, and amha in on many of our heavy Buckeroo line mares and we couldnt be more pleased with the results. Being triple registered gives that horse so much versatility in what you can breed him/her to! With the shetland bloodlines comes great movement along witht a nice leggy look and nice high neck set too. We have mostly amhr/amha miniatures but we also have a few really nice aspc, amhr horses as well. With this stallion being triple registered, aspc, amhr, amha that gives him more versatility in what we can breed him to as well. Laura

Oh, I see.

So both the AMHA and the AMHR allow horses to be hard-shipped into the registry if they have matured within the height requirements?

Amanda--AMHA still allows true hardshipping. AMHR closed several years ago, and now the only horses that can be "hardshipped" in are those that already have AMHA or ASPC or Falabella papers. It's not really hardshipping, but that is what everyone tends to call it.

Amanda--AMHA still allows true hardshipping. AMHR closed several years ago, and now the only horses that can be "hardshipped" in are those that already have AMHA or ASPC or Falabella papers. It's not really hardshipping, but that is what everyone tends to call it.
I see. So, the AMHA allows any horse (no matter bloodlines or if they are grade) to be registered if they mature under 34 inches?

The AMHR will let a horse be registered as a Miniature Horse if it is the proper height, and has AMHA, ASPC, or Falabella papers? Those are the only acceptable bloodlines that can be 'hardshipped' into the AMHR?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all very much for the help.
default_smile.png

I was wondering, do people find it worth the money and effort to get a horse triple-registered? Does that make them more marketable or more desirable?

Also, I know that Shetlands can get taller. Do you have to worry a lot about a horse with ASPC lines out-growing their Miniature papers?

I think height is not guaranteed, no matter how far back small genetics go. It helps, but no guarantee. I see plenty of AMHA horses outgrow their 34" limit... has nothing to do with being ASPC or not.

Andrea

Many of the miniatures that were initially "registered" into AMHA at it's inception, came from Shetland backgrounds. As a marketing ploy, their Shetland papers were discarded.
default_no.gif
Thus being listed as unknown x unknown. I just feel that it was such a disservice to the miniature horse to be able to trace it's ancestry. Tony Greaves and a few others have articles on their websites talking about this. I know that there are people that will have varying opinions on this.

Today it is rare if you happen to find miniatures, that measure 34" or under, that still have their Shetland papers. The Shetlands of today, having been out crossed with Hackney's & etc., do not resemble the Shetland's of years ago.

Latest posts

Back