Abortion in Horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reble

Reaction score
My Vet when coming to give my horses their vaccination shots this spring, brought copies of this information for me to read. Being a breeder and wanted information on abortions.

So just passing it on. Take what you like and leave the rest.

Our vets always backs up what they tell me, which I like to see and hear.

He had this information printed out for me, and made note that I should read about

Viral Abortion / Abortion due to Progesterone Deficiency /

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livest...acts/05-061.htm

So we are going to give penicillin shots 3-4 days before breeding with stallion for a few days.1 regular pen, than long lasting pen.

I believe he was suggesting, giving synthetic progesterone shots at 3, 4, and 5 months. to help maintian a pregnancy.

If you have a vet you can trust, makes doing things easier. We will be talking more about this, when I am ready for breeding my mares this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why the penicillin shots? To a healthy mare? That does not make sense to me...
default_unsure.png

Why the penicillin shots? To a healthy mare? That does not make sense to me...
default_unsure.png
Another way to help if bacteria enters when the stallion is breeding mare.

Doing what we can too prevent abortions. These are just his suggestions.
default_saludando.gif

Penn shots will do no good except to create resistance for bacteria. If the stallion introduces bacteria (which he will, even with quality management) into the mare's tract the mare will take care of it. If she doesn't, she won't abort later, she just won't get pregnant.

Progesterone shots are just income for the vet. There is ABSOLUTELY NO POINT in doing three shots. They only last 5 or so days. If you need progesterone (which many mares would benefit from!!!) do it the right way... with Regumate.

You'll prevent more abortions by:

Seperating stallions

Lowering stress

Preventing disease (Rhino, fevers, EVA, CEM, etc)

Vaccinating

Regumate

Penn shots will do no good except to create resistance for bacteria. If the stallion introduces bacteria (which he will, even with quality management) into the mare's tract the mare will take care of it. If she doesn't, she won't abort later, she just won't get pregnant.
Progesterone shots are just income for the vet. There is ABSOLUTELY NO POINT in doing three shots. They only last 5 or so days. If you need progesterone (which many mares would benefit from!!!) do it the right way... with Regumate.

You'll prevent more abortions by:

Seperating stallions

Lowering stress

Preventing disease (Rhino, fevers, EVA, CEM, etc)

Vaccinating

Regumate
thanks nathan for your information. will talk with my vet about these suggestions.

Just got off the phone with another equine vet, they have found also now, that cubes could have red clover in them, that can cause abortions and we would not know it is in our alfalfa cubes.
default_no.gif

Red clover causes abortions? I have never heard that. Do you know why? Clover of all kinds contains phytoestrogens, which mimic the effects of estrodiol in the mare. That can cause her to appear to be eternally in heat, and can interfere with spring transition. But it wouldn't cause an abortion unless the mare was predisposed by having a severe lack of progesterone. I'd be interested in knowing why its a problem...

Red clover causes abortions? I have never heard that. Do you know why? Clover of all kinds contains phytoestrogens, which mimic the effects of estrodiol in the mare. That can cause her to appear to be eternally in heat, and can interfere with spring transition. But it wouldn't cause an abortion unless the mare was predisposed by having a severe lack of progesterone. I'd be interested in knowing why its a problem...
Sorry his office is closed it was Dr. Right an Equine specialized from Guelph.

I am sure it was red clover, what else would be red___________?

found this info on clover, he said it was just a new study they found this.

Not sure if this helps.

Some of these conditions caused by molds and fungi can be serious or even life-threatening, although not all of them are. There are some instances of toxicity that mainly cause inconveniences to horse owners. Case in point is Rhizoctonia leguminicola-infected clover. When consumed while grazing or as hay, clover infected with this fungus will often cause horses to slobber excessively, which is known as slaframine poisoning. The fungus infects red clover, white clover, alsike clover, and alfalfa.

Sorry his office is closed it was Dr. Right an Equine specialized from Guelph.

I am sure it was red clover, what else would be red___________?

found this info on clover, he said it was just a new study they found this.

Not sure if this helps.

Some of these conditions caused by molds and fungi can be serious or even life-threatening, although not all of them are. There are some instances of toxicity that mainly cause inconveniences to horse owners. Case in point is Rhizoctonia leguminicola-infected clover. When consumed while grazing or as hay, clover infected with this fungus will often cause horses to slobber excessively, which is known as slaframine poisoning. The fungus infects red clover, white clover, alsike clover, and alfalfa.
That's slobber. Most horses do that if they eat too much red clover.
default_smile.png
Has NOTHING to do with aborting, just dehydrates them more. I know a number of horses with it.
default_saludando.gif

I think giving synthetic progesterone is just a bit overkill if the mare has never had issues but to each their own
default_yes.gif
I don't think it would hurt.

Also found this Nathan, now the Equine vet was talking about finding this in hay cubes, which has caused problems.

White Dutch or common white clover is a low growing plant (less than 5 inches) which grows well in pastures but is too short to harvest for hay. In a fresh state it is very high in carbohydrate content and low in fibre content. Ladino clover is a tall white clover but is easily killed by Ontario winters.

Red clover is a biennial which means it will live for about two years and then will die off unless it is allowed to re-seed itself. As a hay crop, clover is hard to dry and becomes moldy. These molds can contain estrogenic properties which can interfere with the reproductive cycles of mares.

I am guessing the mold is causing the abortions, I was just sharing what I heard.

I am always wanting to learn
default_saludando.gif

I'm not a breeder. I'm new to breeding. I just want a live foal next year. I've heard of horses aborting their foals after getting shots in their pregnancy! Now I'm worried...I'm worried. I don't want either of my mares to abort! I don't know what to do. If you can, please help!

I think giving synthetic progesterone is just a bit overkill if the mare has never had issues but to each their own.
I am not sure why you think it is over kill, when trying to prevent abortions?
default_no.gif

Because 1000s of horses seem to do fine with out it, that's all.

I donno, my horses are well cared for, but I don't jump on every boat out there. Sometimes we can easily do more harm then good. To each their own, but if your vet recommends it, go right ahead.

After a day of talking about nothing but abortions, I feel that anything is possible, no matter what you do to help/prevent. Do what you feel right.

Just remember, as Forest says:

"Sh*t Happens"
default_smile.png

Here's something you could discuss with your vet.

We had a mare act like she was in pain and seemed to be "sore" after being with the stallion.

The vet was called and flushed the mare, found a small tear to repair and then perfomed the caslick procedure..

I asked what effect the flushing would have if she was bred.

The vet said that good breeders will flush their mares routinely after breeding and perform the caslick to keep the reproductive area sanitary.

She said that it will also avoid abortions.

Latest posts

Back