A warning to breeders

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedTango

Reaction score
I've been showing Netherland Dwarf rabbits for a number of years..as well as the Dairy goats and miniature horses.. Well for the past year i've had all these people wanna come from out of state to "come buy a horse" so these people travel for hours to get to my farm. They say they love the look of the horses(or rabbits) but then say something has come up and they hurry up and drive off.. Later on that night(or a few days after) my dogs bark and i'm often outside at night anyways these same "buyer's" come back and are caught attempting to steal some horses( or goats, or rabbits)

My policy now is no visitors.. it's a shame that I have to do that.. But that is just a warning to some other breeders..

wow- that is horrible!!! we had a few try that with our reg. boer goats. we ended up putting a gate at the road-padlocked and electric fenced the whole perimeter with a VERY strong box.

Currently for the past 8 years there has been this ring of people here in Louisiana that steals small, cute dogs... i've lost a chihuahua and a min pin from out of my yard.. Why would people do these kind of things! It's terrible. I'm sure there putting them up to sell after they steal them..

Either way I pressed charges on these people who drove from Missouri to Louisiana.

I bring in my minis to the barn now at night..where there is lights..and camaras. It would be easy to steal from here I guess to say because they are on a large peice of land that runs way back behind my house..Plenty of places for someone to hide :/

I hear you RedTango. This has been going on as far back as I can remember and in many countries. If we receive a phone call about our animals, we always request a number we can call back. We call them back before giving any info out and ask them more questions than they will probably ask us. Also request an email addy. If people come to look at animals, we also always jot down the make and number of their vehicle. Most of the time, we have known our buyers from our forum or shows but occasionally have had a stranger call.

Safety for our animals is difficult sometimes. Animals in pastures which cannot be seen easily from the house, are probably most at risk of being stolen. Cameras all over the place help. We also have alarms on all gates which ring in the house. Gates are locked but if someone or a car is at the gates, the alarm rings. Lights around the farm help. Barking dogs help. Signs on gates saying something like 'Guard Dog on Duty' might discourage some from stealing.

When boarding horses, we must also determine how safe their property is. Is someone on the property 24/7? Do they monitor who comes and goes? Plenty of horses and tack have been stolen from boarding facilities. A friend of mine had all her saddles, harness and even a full tack box, stolen from a boarding establishment. So always stamp your name on all tack where it can not easily be seen. This helps if it is ever found so you can identify it.

Lizzie

Wow.............you reminded me of something I heard happening around here a few years ago. People stealing dogs. Same scenario. Come and look and get an idea of the layout, then come back and steal.

I had forgotten about it lately, but your post reminds me again of the types of people there are around and desparate for money.

That is terrible, I am so glad you caught them. I always worry about mine as they are out in the fields and I can't see them from the house.

I don't know how these people sleep at night but rest assure the guy upstairs will punish them

That is terrible! We used to raise turkeys and had several stolen. Now we have quite a few sets of gates to get through, plus very vocal dogs. Our mares are out with a small mammoth donkey (small enough to be safe with the mares) that we bottle raised so he absolutely adores us, but those mares are HIS and he will not let anyone take his mares unless it is one of us. He is the best 'guard dog' we've ever had.

There is a lady here who has been trying to find her Boxer for MONTHES(almost a year) now... he went missing out of her yard I believe.. She has flyers everywhere and even has a facebook set up to find her dog.. I honestly don't know if these dogs are being sold out of state or worse.. but either way she has this facebook set up for others to post on about missing dogs, and it's currently working out pretty great for other people who has lost there dogs.

I think it's a great idea.

I have my horses micro-chipped... but that won't prevent somone from stealing..

No one messes with our babies:

IMG_7970.jpg

IMG_7971.jpg

IMG_7427.jpg

IMG_7124-1.jpg

I'm always very careful when it comes to showing the horses to visitors.

Just this summer I had someone drive in & ask to see the horses--he/she had seen them from the back road so drove in wanting to see them close up. I honestly could not tell if the driver was male or female, and this person just gave me a bad feeling. I did not want the person seeing the location of gates & such & did not want to show the horses to him/her. I said sorry, we have some sick horses and are not showing the horses to anyone just now. That worked; the person went away & has not come back.

One time a fellow delivered a load of hay. He & his wife had horses & we were chatting as we unloaded bales--the talk turned to saddles & we were comparing our saddles. He asked to see ours & I showed them to him--he asked if I wanted to sell one of them & I said no--we had custom made ranch saddles that didn't come cheap. At that point I had no concerns. But, the next time this guy delivered hay he asked if I were going away for the coming weekend. That question was so out of the blue that I really wondered why he asked--I answered honestly & said no, I would be staying home all weekend. I can tell you that if I did have plans to go away that weekend I sure would not have been admitting it to him. I have no idea if he was just making conversation--but really the way he asked the question was just too odd and I didn't feel there was anything innocent about it. Those saddles were moved to a different location after he left that day!!

default_saludando.gif
that happened here a lady went to see a mare for sale at a breeders home and saw a foal

she must of take a fancy to it and came out that night and stole it

the lady was found with the foal 2 days late and was charge with stealing

whats this world coming tooo
default_no.gif

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/wildoak/Angus10102.jpg

One of our theft deterrents....
default_smile.png
He has a brother too LOL, and they are pretty observant. Between the big dogs outside and the small ones inside we have a pretty good alarm system. Our place is visible to neighbors, but not on a main road so we don't tend to get many "sightseers". And if they get past the dogs, they have this to deal with!
default_biggrin.png

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/wildoak/100_5985.jpg

Jan

don't know why photos won't show up, but clicking on them works

Last edited by a moderator:
http://i4.photobucke.../Angus10102.jpg

default_smile.png
He has a brother too LOL, and they are pretty observant. Between the big dogs outside and the small ones inside we have a pretty good alarm system. Our place is visible to neighbors, but not on a main road so we don't tend to get many "sightseers". And if they get past the dogs, they have this to deal with!
default_biggrin.png

http://i4.photobucke...ak/100_5985.jpg

Jan

default_saludando.gif
thats one nasty looking pussy

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/wildoak/Angus10102.jpg

default_smile.png
default_biggrin.png

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/wildoak/100_5985.jpg

Jan

I got to meet Angus and his bro yesterday and they are SOOO cool (I want one!!) but I would NOT want to meet them without Mom or Dad there- he could eat your arm off in one bite!!

I did not meet Tiger Kitty...

We have 3 dogs that will bark violently! One is a black lab(Blue), her son Chino(Lab/Pit bull/ weimiraner(?) mix) and Copper( Weimiraner(?) Pitt bull mix)... The 2 pitt mixes are built like freight trains..

It's horrible the precautions you have to take these days. I've had someone recently ask if I was worried about people stealing the horses for food considering our current economy. Sure hope not! But on the rise out in Northern California - gates being stolen to sell for scrap metal. A couple of big horses got out on the road as someone had stolen the gates of their pasture. One or both were injured/killed.

Labs weren't a breed I would have until I picked a puppy up on the hwy... 3 years later I will say she is the most intelligent, sweetest dog I've ever owned... and I've had a lot of dogs.

Latest posts

Back