A city of Flies ( Fly Repellent tips)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margaret

Reaction score
Lately I have been noticing a ton of flies on my horses, and they have been attacking the face mostly on my poor mini's... I use a variety of fly masks, and as usual they usually dont stay on the horse til the end of the day, and I have to put them back on.. (And yes, I even have the combat double latching types :lol: )

Well today was the last straw for me on these ruthless pests.

So out with the heavy artilery, and what do I go and get? My old trusty "Avon Skin So Soft Bath Oil"- and I mix it 50-50 with water in a bottle and shake it up.. Then with a dish cloth I wet a section on the cloth, and apply it to my horses face,- til I get every area with a coat of it.. Great stuff... Then, with not a fly in site, I slap on the ole fly masks, and voila, a super fly repellent! The flies arent even hanging out on the masks, waiting for their chance..

Added to note: Its good to wash off the product once a week or so, and start new- as it can build up residue and attract dirt, but thats a small price to pay to avoid the flies.
default_yes.gif
:

So just wanted to share this tip with people, as every time I use it, I just love the way it works..and without all the chemicals too
default_wink.png
:

Anybody with other fly repellent tips, please feel free to add yours to this post..
default_yes.gif
:

Mary

Last edited by a moderator:
There are also seveal suggestions pinned in the Fly Control in the Best of the Miniature Horse Forum. I have used Skin So Soft occasionally. Someone posted on here a couple of weeks ago that once this wears off, it seems to attracts mosquito's & I didn't know that. Guess it won't matter though if you don't have mosquitos.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just out their complaining to myslef about the flies. They are everywhere. I feel so bad. I read the same thing about the skin so soft. I use vinager and citrinella. I was thinking how these companies say how great thier sprays work and repells for like 17 days. WHAT! They should be monitored for honesty. Unless they mean it works for 17 in the winter!

i started using the fly control blocks a couple of months ago. they seem to have made a rather large dent in the fly population. i was afraid that both of my guys would overload on them because they are rather tasty (or so i'm told, i didn't actually TRY it), but they seem to consume a little here and a little there. one block has been lasting my two horses (one big horse, one mini horse) for about 5 or 6 weeks.

One thing I use is SWAT - it is actually an ointment in pink or clear with fly repellent for wounds but I use it under the jaw line (not all the way down by the mouth since when they drink may contaminate the water), along the length of the horse's underside, inside hind legs, by the horse's genitals (as long as not a nursing mare or breeding stallion), dry mare's teats and in clipped ears The stuff is tacky and so stays on much longer up to 3 days in some cases.

We don't have too big a problem with flies until this time of year, when the face flies come out. I use Horse and Pony Spray. I spray some onto a small sponge and wipe a strip of it down the nose and on the cheeks and it usually keeps the flies off for two days.

I also have a huge fan that I point out the barn door, aiming at the dry lot. The horses will gather right in front of it during the worst of the fly time, as it blows the flies away.

On extremely hot and humid days when there isn't any breeze and the heat index is in the upper 90's or low 100's, which isn't too often, I bring the horses into their stalls around noon and put all their stall fans on. This keeps them cool and keeps any flies away as well.

One thing I use is SWAT - it is actually an ointment in pink or clear with fly repellent for wounds but I use it under the jaw line (not all the way down by the mouth since when they drink may contaminate the water), along the length of the horse's underside, inside hind legs, by the horse's genitals (as long as not a nursing mare or breeding stallion), dry mare's teats and in clipped ears The stuff is tacky and so stays on much longer up to 3 days in some cases.

I use SWAT too! Seems to work pretty well!

For the first time this year we have tried the Wasps that uses the fly for host for their eggs.

The farmer friend up the road gave us 2 big packs of them and he said that with all the cows he has its working as he has used it now for the past 3 years and has seen a great drop in the flys. So hoping to see less flies in the future.
default_smile.png
Although we don't have that many right now!

Just thought I would share. Heres the link to read about it.

Fly control

Apple Cider Vinegar, Ivory soap and water. Started using this a couple of weeks ago and it works!

Latest posts

Back