vaccinating mini donkeys?

17 replies to this topic

#11 bullockcorner

bullockcorner

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:37 AM

You guys are great! I will take all info and try to do the best for my new girls.  :yes   Yes, they like their shelter.  As far as feet, my husband is a mini farrier, and he was trimming them when the other lady owned them. That's how we got to know them. The little girl, Daisy Mae, has great feet. The pinto one has some issues, but my husband just trimmed her yesterday, and we'll get them right.

Please continue with any more suggestions or hints! :ThumbUp

• chandab, Cayuse and PintoPalLover like this

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#12 Miniv

Miniv

I just can't help myself :-)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,438 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:07 PM

We have had three mini donks over the years.....currently have one. I ditto Chanda on everything.........VERY easy keepers. HATE rain/snow/cold. So, they definitely need shelter. We've vaccinated, wormed, hoof trimmed them the same as our minis.

They really don't need grain, just hay and supplement.....but for your toothless one, I'd experiment with chopped hay or cubed hay that's been soaked. Bless you for taking them in. Donkeys are fun. My "Ella" always makes me laugh.

• chandab, bullockcorner, paintponylvr and 1 other like this
Miniature Ventures -- Larry & Maryann Cerullo -- <a href="http://www.miniature...eventures.com/" target="_blank">http://www.miniature...ntures.com/</a>
Breeding for the continuous improvement of the miniature horse AND miniature classic Arenosa Shetland in athletic ability and beauty. Relocated to beautiful Powell Butte, Oregon in 2005! Come visit!

Our posts are only our opinions or based from our experiences since 1990 as miniature horse owners/breeders. Please take our advice or leave it.....It's a FREE country (last I checked!).

** "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. Protect the rights of all who are helpless."
Proverbs 31:8 **

#13 Cayuse

Cayuse

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • Interests:Big Horses
    Little Horses
    and Ponies!!!

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:21 PM

I don't have any advice, but I do want to see some pictures of your little donks!
  • KLJcowgirl and PintoPalLover like this

#14 PintoPalLover

PintoPalLover

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Horseback Riding,Tricks,Driving,Any Horsin' Around

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:37 PM

I second that , Cayuse !  :yes

My first 'Pinto PalStormy Rivers Scouts Shez My Girl (Magnolia/"Nollie"

And Thistle Fields Sugar And Spice (Sugar/"Suggie")

#15 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:24 PM

My only donkey experience was with my dil.  They were repairing their paddock and she asked me to keep Nellie at my house for the day.  Dil brought Nellie over and put her under my horse motel.  Water, hay, shelter.  When dil came in the evening to get Nellie, Nellie was so happy to see her.  She laid her head on her shoulder and plainly said "please don't ever leave me anywhere again".  After  that, they just let Nellie roam around the yard while they worked on the fence and she never left the yard. They moved away, but I now own the Nellie Casa which my son built for Nellie.  My little horses enjoy it and so have the occasional auodad.

Good luck with yours.

• Cayuse likes this

#16 bullockcorner

bullockcorner

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:54 AM

O.K, here are the pics. My husband trimmed the pinto's hooves and she looks TONS better. Still have some work to go. Not a very good pic of Daisy Mae, (she was eating so her mouth looks funny). Anyway, here they are.  :wub

Attached Thumbnails

• 0809171819 (1280x719).jpg
  • 0809171819b (1280x719).jpg
  • 0809171819c (1280x719).jpg

• Miniv, chandab, Ryan Johnson and 3 others like this

#17 Cayuse

Cayuse

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • Interests:Big Horses
    Little Horses
    and Ponies!!!

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:53 PM

Aww! Your girls adorable. What lucky little donks to find a home with you. How big are they?
My old pony who had a lot of dental issues did well on soaked hay pellets. I used Blue Seal hay stretcher and soaked it into a porridge constancy.
The NSC was a little high, though, but we chose to use it as he was old and picky and it passed his "taste test." He loved that stuff.
Thank you for the pictures.

Edited by Cayuse, 11 August 2017 - 12:58 PM.

• chandab and PintoPalLover like this

#18 PintoPalLover

PintoPalLover

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Horseback Riding,Tricks,Driving,Any Horsin' Around

Posted 11 August 2017 - 01:24 PM

They are adorable ! Thanks for posting the pictures  :)

My first 'Pinto PalStormy Rivers Scouts Shez My Girl (Magnolia/"Nollie"

And Thistle Fields Sugar And Spice (Sugar/"Suggie")

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users