Saddle help?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say that I would not use one of the bareback pads with stirrups. Buy the pad by all means, but remove the stirrups. Those things, mini or full size, are just plain dangerous with the stirrups on! It is much too easy for the rider to fall off, get his/her foot hung up in the stirrup and be dragged.

I looked at the link and that is what you are looking for. You would have a hard time finding a smaller saddle than a 10 inch and the tapaderos are for kids so their foot doesn't go through the stirrup. I think the price is high and you could set up for much less. you could probably find one for under $100.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your mini is pretty good size I wouldn't worry about the saddle and they say the saddle is only 13 lbs. I don't think the price is bad personally considering it comes with everything you need to go riding. I agree please don't get a bareback pad with stirrups. For kids who don't know how to ride very well and those who don't have a good seat could cause problems. If you want them to ride bareback I say save your money on a pad.

Most good saddles I've found are around $150. So you can't beat that price. If you are looking for a 8" saddle Ozark sells toddler western saddles for $150.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the replies. I will forgo the bareback pad then. I'm looking for the safest thing I can find. Of course she isn't going to be riding by herself, I will be leading her the whole time.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

I have a 2 1/2 year old I need to get a saddle for. I'm not sure what size to get...

I like this one

http://equusunlimite...saddle-package/

but im worried it's too heavy for a mini? And is a 10" a good size for a 2 1/2 year old?

I was also looking at mini bareback pads with stirrups..has anyone ever used those?

Thanks for any help =D

A 2 1/2 yr old what? Pony, mini -what size? Or were you saying 2 1/2 yr old child?

That saddle would probably be too long for a mini's back. For a mini or smaller pony you're better off getting one with round fenders. Getting rid of the "extra" leather not only makes it lighter but keeps it from interfering with their movement.

A 10" saddle will work for children for sometime unless they are big for their age. If you did mean 2 1/2 yr old child, then a 10" saddle will be big. My problem with my grandchildren was that the stirrups could not be shortened enough for their little legs. I had to rig (or you can buy) a set of stirrups called buddy stirrups that attaches to the horn and hangs much shorter than the saddle stirrups. Now that they are age 6 the saddle stirrups are beginning to fit them.

For a young child attach a piece of leather or rope looped around the horn for them to hold like they would the reins.

Here's a pic. of the rounded type fenders.
2008SummerandFall005.jpg

Grandson is only 3 or 4 here and using the "buddy" type stirrups.

Sandee,

I meant 2 1/2 yr old child, sorry. Thanks for your reply. I was wondering if the stirrups would be too long on those saddles. My daughter is tall for her age though. I guess I need to measure her to be sure.

I read that 8" saddles were only for up to 2 years old though. Do you think 8" would be ok? I want her to fit snug in there so she feels secure. We just got our two minis a few days ago and I haven't had a horse for a very long time so this is all new to me again.

Thanks for your advice.

Sandee,

I meant 2 1/2 yr old child, sorry. Thanks for your reply. I was wondering if the stirrups would be too long on those saddles. My daughter is tall for her age though. I guess I need to measure her to be sure.

I read that 8" saddles were only for up to 2 years old though. Do you think 8" would be ok? I want her to fit snug in there so she feels secure. We just got our two minis a few days ago and I haven't had a horse for a very long time so this is all new to me again.

Thanks for your advice.
Don't know if you can see the picture I posted above well enough but the boy is 3 or 4 don't remember, small for his age, and the saddle is a 10". It's plenty big. My granddaughter is small also and now at age 6/7 she is just beginning to fit into the 10" saddle (stirrups and all).

8" is tiny and didn't fit my son past 2ish. Moved him up to a 12" with buddy stirrups which works great. I have several saddles available if you're interested in other options. Including mini sizes. Feel free to message me or email at [email protected], Kaelin

Latest posts

Back