Purina Omolene 300 or Nutrena Life Design M & F

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nnadams

Reaction score
default_saludando.gif
Hi, I am trying to decide which of these 2 feeds to use for the last few months of my mares' pregnancies. Do you prefer one over the other and if so, why? Thank you so much for any input!
default_smile.png

I've always fed the Purina 300, but I haven't tried the Nutrena Mare and Foal so I can't comment as to which I think is best. Sorry. I do like the results we get with the Purina 300 though. Some of my mares that are pregnant but very fat just with hay get Purina 200, and not too much of it, with added vitamins, until they foal. I'd be interested to see the difference in the nutritional labels of these feeds. Is the Nutrena a sweet feed or pelleted, or do you know?

Actually, the Purina is a textured feed (both grains and pellets in it), the Nutrena is pelleted (less chance of sorting the ingredients).

Without seeing an ingredient list, I think I might go with the Nutrena, I like that they have feeding directions for pregnancy, through lactation and then for the foal through yearling year (so like they said consistency in feeding for the foal). And, in the past I've fed Nutrena and liked it.

Thanks Chandab
default_saludando.gif

Does the difference in fiber content matter if it is just 2.5% ?

Thanks Chandab
default_saludando.gif

Does the difference in fiber content matter if it is just 2.5% ?
With that small of a difference in fiber, I'd say minimal difference; however in general more fiber for horses is usually a good thing. When i looked at the feeding recommendations, there wasn't a significant difference in the recommended amounts to be fed, so I'd probably go with the higher fiber feed. [Quite often feeds with higher fiber content, also have higher feeding recommendations, but with these two feeds the feed recommendations seem to be similar, so my choice would be the one with higher fiber.]

I think alot depends on what else your mare is getting- the amount of hay- the quality of hay ect. BUt honestly I think both feeds are pretty comparable. Some horses prefer a textured others a pelleted

In spring and summer, my horses have access to as much pasture/grass as they want, but it is not great at all. It' s just because I think they should be grazing as they were created to do. When there is not much grass in late summer and fall/winter. They have access to as much hay as they want. It is the best I can get locally and is a fertilized Bermuda. I do not think it's very great either or does much for them other than gives them something to munch on.

In addition to the above, the average feeding depending on the horse is something like this:

Morning:

4 cups (after soaked) shredded beet pulp

4 cups 14% protein 6% fat pelleted feed (Have been using Seminole brand feed)

free choice mineral and salt

Evening:

5-6 alfalfa cubes

4 cups of same pelleted feed

In addition to the above, the average feeding depending on the horse is something like this:

Morning:

4 cups (after soaked) shredded beet pulp

4 cups 14% protein 6% fat pelleted feed (Have been using Seminole brand feed)

Evening:

5-6 alfalfa cubes

4 cups of same pelleted feed

Aside from looking at the new feed because you have pregnant/lactating mares or growing foals, are you happy with how your horses look and act/feel on their current feed program? If so, then unless you have broodmares or foals that require different feed, I wouldn't change what is working.

I have fed the Nutrena mare and foal feed for the last couple of years and have been pleased with the results. I do add mineral pellets ( purina equilizer) to their feed as well. I find they like it and both old and young mares look good on it and the foals seem to do well.

Yes, most of my horses do well on that diet. The ones that need more I give more to and the ones that need less get less. The last couple of foaling seasons I have felt like I have had to give so much of the Seminole Mare & Foal pellet to the nursing mares to keep them from getting pulled-down. The foals do great on it. I just got to researching the different feeds put out by the brands I have available in my area and realized that the Seminole feed has 16% protein and only 3% fat compared to the Nutrena and Omolene 300 which has 6% fat. That's twice as much fat (even though we are only talking 3%) I thought it might work a little better for my mares. I give them so much of the feed I was wondering if it would be better to do a little less of the feed but add some Ultra Bloom. Would that be better for the mare or should I just keep pooring the M & F to her?

Yes, most of my horses do well on that diet. The ones that need more I give more to and the ones that need less get less. The last couple of foaling seasons I have felt like I have had to give so much of the Seminole Mare & Foal pellet to the nursing mares to keep them from getting pulled-down. The foals do great on it. I just got to researching the different feeds put out by the brands I have available in my area and realized that the Seminole feed has 16% protein and only 3% fat compared to the Nutrena and Omolene 300 which has 6% fat. That's twice as much fat (even though we are only talking 3%) I thought it might work a little better for my mares. I give them so much of the feed I was wondering if it would be better to do a little less of the feed but add some Ultra Bloom. Would that be better for the mare or should I just keep pooring the M & F to her?
If you aren't happy with the way the mares look on the Seminole M&F, then try one of the other two for your mares and see if it works better for you. Not all feeds work the same for everyone, it depends on so many things (quality and type of hay for one). [i know my hay isn't as good this year, so I've had to add some hay pellets and oats to their diet, which I've not needed before.]

Latest posts

Back