Deer hunters

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LC Farm

Reaction score
Is there anyone else that is having trouble with deer hunter on your land that is posted NO HUNTING? Yesterday i was walking to our other barns and there in the back hay field I could see hunter orange so I was sure that someone was back there without permission. I own the only bridge to get there so not only was he trespassing but also hunting. Every year you hear of horses getting killed by hunters. All our horses are up by the barns for safty but it just makes me sooooo MAD they keep coming on my land and hunting. Any tips that anyone uses would greatly appreciated. Heading back this morning with another pack of NO HUNTING OR TRESPASSING signs.

We have trouble with this every year and it drives me crazy!! they never ask, they just come on our property and start shooting. Last time they were tracking a deer so I let all 3 dogs out who of course started barking like crazy and scared their deer away. I hate hunting season.

The way my dad has handled it was he let a cop hunt on his property
default_wink.png
So anyone caught on the property was told in no uncertain terms they were trespassing and they would be arrested next time!!! You can also call the DNR and tell them you are having trouble and they will patrol more often!! Good luck I know how frustrating it can be, we had a mare shot with a bow and arrow several years ago!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a cop neighbor, and another neighbor who's been given permission to hunt on our property, and that keeps things pretty clean. Of course, they are so avid that the guy on our property hasn't seen a single deer since the season opened. We have a LOT of problems with hunters on the neighboring property, but none physically on ours.

Ditto here on letting a cop hunt on your property, does come in handy. They are so quiet, we never know they are here, but they do help keep out the un-invited people for us in addition to quietly reducing the deer population a bit. We have tons of deer and this time of year we literally have people stopping by and begging to hunt.. We need some deer herd reduction here, we are a farm surrounded by developments and the deer get too plentiful. The trespassers drive us crazy, we pick and choose very carefully a couple of people we trust (including a few cops) and everybody else is turned away. Since we monitor who hunts, and where they can hunt, it is easier to pick out the people who don't belong. We don't confront the trespassers directly anymore, but let the police do it, too many nuts out there. The other thing we have as bad here as un-invited deer hunters are 4 wheelers and snow mobiles ripping up the fields too. The worse the urban sprawl and the "mcMansions" keep cropping up around here, the more people keep coming on our land. We had a neighbor put up a tree house for his kids on our property, kids making corn mazes in our corn and kids attempts at crop circles in our hay field. Luckily the same hunting cop is helping us to quietly take care of those problems too.

We do not have the problems with deer hunters in Florida that you do. Our Sheriff's Department sells farm owners with animals, crops, etc. signs that say NO TRESSPASSING BY ORDER OF THE SHERIFF.

Annually we up date our information on a form, letter the PCSO know what is is each pasture, etc. We give them a key to the gates. If an AG Deputy finds anyone on the property without permission they are arrested. This helps all of us in the ag business.

As for places to deer hunt, they have hunting camps for the hunters. I think it is wonderful that everyone wins.

Lonna

Yes we too have had problems with deer hunters. We live in Missouri. Last year my husband was outside and heard some shots down by one of our run in sheds - where our horses happened to be standing - and he takes off running screaming someone just shot our horses - get my gun!!! :DOH! Oh sure - needless to say I left his gun at the house but I grabbed my cell phone and spotlight (it was just getting to be dusk in the evening) - I see a truck coming down the gravel road by the run in shed so I shined my spotlight on them so I could see the color of the truck, etc. Of course they turned off the headlights, etc. and took off. They ended up not shooting one of our horses - but they had killed 2 deer 1 in our horse pasture and 1 across the road - by shooting from their truck - which is also illegal!!! We called the "Poaching Patrol" and they sat in our driveway and it was amazing to me - they have binoculars that even in complete dark they can see every detail of a persons face, etc. a long ways away in a vehicle, etc.! They figured the hunters would come back to pick up their deers - but they didn't. They also carry assult rifles - so that tells you how many problem hunters they incounter!

We too hate deer hunting season because of the trespassers.

They also carry assult rifles - so that tells you how many problem hunters they incounter!
Holy crap!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
I don't think our Forestry Wardens are even allowed to bear arms...let alone assault weapons. I will have to check on that to be 100% sure.
default_unsure.png

If you can get any information about the guy trespassing, you just have to turn it into the DNR officers and they'll cite them. So a truck lisence plate or even if you can get their name. My hubby is a conservation officer and he's given several citations. Just get as much details as possible (time, etc.). They tend to try and fight stuff in court. Hubby has even gotten GPS markings as to where they killed a deer and everything (on tresspass property).

But I like the idea of help the cops, they help you.

I live in Mo. also and out here in the country. We have 10 acres. So far we haven't had anyone on our land but we hear gun shots all around us. I'm so terrified for my mini's. You never know about these guy's. I DON'T put the mini's over on the other 5 acres of woods we have and I'm glad cause it's VERY isolated and NO telling what would happen to them. It's down right scary around here. Right across the street EVERY morning we've been seeing them pulling into the cow pasture getting their guns out going hunting. I HATE hunting season too. I HAVE no idea what my other neighbors are up to and I try not to think about it. TJ

I HATE HUNTING SEASON! I nearly got shot on opening day of pheasant season while in our yard exercising my minis on the golf cart! I did get the license plate number but nothing ever came of it! Tried to flag the guys down to talk to them, but they just waved and drove off. I guess I had to be shot for them to be cited
default_new_shocked.gif
Can you believe some people- stopping right in front of my yard and shooting into the trees ???
default_new_shocked.gif
default_wacko.png

Yikes!

Peggy

PS-- The best way to get a deer right now is drive a car down our road--three have been killed right by our pasture on the road just in the past few days. You don't need a gun!

Many years ago I lived on a property in the woods that had been hunted for years before I owned it. NO TREPASSING signs and a fence didn't stop them.A BOOM box tuned in to some loud rock music did the trick.Hunters and deer need very quiet and I really ruined it for them.sometimes you have to get creative.Find where the deer path is and put the radio near it.Good luck I hate hunted season too.there are SO MANY IDIOTS out in the woods with guns and a cooler full of beer.Great combination.

I had a ranch in the middle of deer hunting country. Every year it was a big problem.

I had people take the gate off of the hinges to get in in spite of the fact the other end of the gate had a chain and padlock on it. Of course, they were confronted immediately and informed me they would put the gate back on the hinges when they left!!!

I had a guy sitting right above my barn waiting for the deer to go by. He informed me he did not know it was private property despite the fact he went through three of my fences to sit right above my barn.

Interesting people. They do not have any consideration.

I always kept my horses up during hunting season, my property was throughly posted, and I had a whole pack of Australian Shepherds when I went to talk to someone who was trespassing.

I rode one of my horses on constant patrol. I made lots of noise as I rode the perimeter of the property to make sure the deer were well aware that people were around. I think that upset the hunters more than anything.

Good luck-it is a problem

hmm...I'd rent a large PA system and play a very loud recording of gun fire -- actually, go for several PA systems in several locations so it sounds as if the gunfire is coming from all directions...include lots of ricochet sounds...perhaps a scream or two?... (aren't you glad I'm not your neighbor?)

Or, how about posting signs warning of "STUDENT BOW HUNTING RANGE," then nearby have a target with a few holes around the edges and arrows stuck high and wide in the trees...

You could buy some wolf or cougar urine to frighten the deer off of your land...

Or in case they get so bold as to set up a blind, put a very loud alarm clock out of reach set for the time they hunt...just when they're all set -- bbbbrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiinnnnnggggggg!!!!!!!!!!

I know everyone is down on hunters but please do not think they are all that way. My husband has been hunting for 20+ years and is respectful of anyones land and property. As he says, "I would not do to others what I wouldn't want done to me" and their was just an article in todays Sunday concerning the overabundance of deer here in Kansas to the point of a BIG problem. In Johnson county up by K.C. there are 200 deer per square mile...that's right-200. They have eaten up pretty much all the vegatation-no more wildflowers and the prarie grass is dying. They have eaten the saplings so guess where they will head next? They have major concern about disease...ticks are overabundant there and they have confirmed the two main transmitted diseases to humans...Rocky Mountain Spotted & Lyme & of course because folks go to the parks with their families to "see the deer" they put their families at risk. The State of Kansas is going to have to do something quick before their is even more of a problem. We have created our own problem by encroching on wildlife and this is the end result!
default_no.gif
Here is the link to the story http://www.kansas.com/275/index.html

The back of our farm is heavy woods and every year we have problems with people trying to hunt. We have gotten some really expensive equipment that they left though. Last year we got 2 deer blinds, a feeder, and a tree stand. This year we got a tree stand complete with umbrella cover and seat cushion and a feeder with a timer on it. The property is posted with both no hunting and no trespassing signs and we just figure that if anyone comes around asking for their equipment back we will have them arrested. My opinion is that they donated it.

The horses are not allowed in the back of the property during hunting season and also we are out there making lots of noise to scare the deer away.

One idiot even fenced an area in the trees and set up his feeder inside the wire to keep the cattle out.

I'm kind of glad he did though, my hubby was wanting one of those feeders and I wouldn't buy it because it was so expensive.

They just keep coming back year after year and donating stuff!

We don't allow hunting on our farm because of the livestock and because of the proximity of houses. My husband does hunt but he goes to a huge public hunting area in another part of the state.

The game warden has staked out the tree stands and blinds and had no luck catching the hunters.

I know everyone is down on hunters but please do not think they are all that way....
Nobody on this thread is talking about responsible hunters who respect the property of others -- that means NOT coming onto our land for ANY reason and no shooting without absolute certainty what they are shooting and where any stray bullets may go.

If your husband respects private property and fires his weapon in only the safest manner, GREAT! Everybody knows that it does the deer no good to overpopulate an area.

But that sort of hunter would never trespass or shoot across our land.

The deer that come onto my land, are under my protection. Yep, they eat my roses and my apples, but I can live with that. I can't live with bullets flying past.

We've found the bullet casings on our property to know exactly what goes on -- it's NOT responsible hunting!

to make a very long story short, I just had a poacher/ tresspasser kill a buck with a .300 less than 150 yards from the house. any one with brains knows a bullet from a .300 travels 3000 ft per second/ and if you know, you shoot elk with these guns, not a .300...... after the second shot, i went outside to the fence when the gun went off again, i hit the ground so fast, my legs never knew they were attched. so anyway, we are headed to court now as witnesses, the dude was tresspassing which means he poached when he shot/killed the deer, and shot 2 more too, just saw the other boy with his left butt cheek blown off. it makes me sick, took 15 yrs to get these boys this big and then have 10 illegal hunters come in and blow them all away. makes me sick to think about it, and I am a hunter....... i believe in kill shots - archery hunting only- give the animal a chance, I shot my cow elk at 8 1/2 yards, i saw her eye lashes before I released, and I passed up the 6x6 bull elk, cause she had more meat!! I am not a horn hunter, I believe in leaving the big ones out there to breed and remove the littler, but might be fatter ones. thats true conservation. I do not agree with people that just throw lead or arrows. I am the first one to call 911 , then the DOW officer and she knows what I say is true, with evidence. those people know what they are doing is wrong and you have to stop them, cause no one else will.

I know everyone is down on hunters but please do not think they are all that way....
Nobody on this thread is talking about responsible hunters who respect the property of others -- that means NOT coming onto our land for ANY reason and no shooting without absolute certainty what they are shooting and where any stray bullets may go.

If your husband respects private property and fires his weapon in only the safest manner, GREAT! Everybody knows that it does the deer no good to overpopulate an area.

But that sort of hunter would never trespass or shoot across our land.

The deer that come onto my land, are under my protection. Yep, they eat my roses and my apples, but I can live with that. I can't live with bullets flying past.

We've found the bullet casings on our property to know exactly what goes on -- it's NOT responsible hunting!
He is a bow hunter not gun...sorry. I agree that there a idiot hunters out there just like there are idiot people that raise minis (have your read Parmelas post yet) We have never had a problem but not to say we won't just please don't say they are all bad. He hunts for the meat & the antler stuff is secondary. I am also very proactive about our property it also boarders a reserve & we have a sheriff deputy that lives around the corner. During season we get with our neighbors to find out who is doing what during hunting and that helps to keep an eye out for anything that looks out of the ordinary.

Latest posts

Back