Just head from a BOD member

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Amber: Thanks for the correction -- just when I think I have my facts straight, I manage to add more confusion to an already confused issue. Aaarrgh. Ta, Shirlee

I would like to THANK our BOD for taking a HUGE step in the right direction for the future of our Shetlands by doing away with the letter designation...

Why is this a step in the right direction???

First... the system failed. In 1970 the club opened the registry allowing ponies out of welsh and hackney parents to be included. These foals would be recognized by the letter B on the registration number...it was a very sincere attempt to openly embrace the cross breeding that was an integral part of the Shetland industry. Cross breeding started the moment they set foot in America...these early efforts evolved into what we have today in the American classic Shetland, a lovely three way blend of Shetland Welsh and hackney. Ponies that were not the result of an outcross to hackney or welsh were given an "A" suffix.

The problem with this was, folks kept on giving A papers to hackneys and welsh ponies. They placed NO importance on pedigrees.

The problem has continued to haunt us, eating away at the credibility of our breed.

Some breeders use this bogus system as a dangerous "TOOL", in an effort to make their program some how look "better" or more "honest". To tell a brand new buyer that they can use this as a foolproof means of identifying out cross bloodlines is tragic. Doing so is indulgent and will continue to UNDERMINE the future of our breed. People who insist that its the only way we can tell what outside blood is there are either in denial or mis-informed. I refuse to tell a new buyer that you can and should use these letters.

The fact is and will always be..there is outcross blood in the American Shetland!!!! We can't tell by letters exactly WHO is WHO, and WHAT is WHAT!!!!

In regard to how using this "A letter only" has impacted the foundation division?. It, in my opinion is an abomination. IF the A/B letter system was perfect it could have been easy, but it was not. Unfortunately people have, will, and DO....put foundation seals on ANYTHING that can qualify. The present system gives us NO means by which to stop it either. I can identify more than one case of this situation taking place in breeding programs right now. There are obviously MODERN and extreme classic stallions out there who have been deliberately certified and bred to nice old fashioned foundation mares, claiming those resulting foals to be foundation certified. My question to these breeders is WHY??? What goal has you in mind?? Do you HAVE a goal or are you just covering all your bases???? I challenge each and every one of these breeders to explain why they deliberately undermine the very essence of the foundation pony they profess to "protect"???? These breeders are part of the problem, and continue to perpetuate it!...I think its a shame...do they really have the best interest of the foundation pony in mind...funny too that some of these are the ones crying the loudest about dropping these letters....and yet, they grin from ear to ear about, "yep its got a seal," knowing full well it should not really have one!!!! Just because we can doesn’t mean we should!!!!!

.Fortunately most of the supporters of the foundation pony do the RIGHT thing and try and breed true to type.... don't be afraid to show by type. It’s easy...just have a look at what is standing in front of you. It’s the real truth of the bloodline!!!!!

I would like to see our board drop the certification process by which we identify the foundation type pony. only then can we really let true type RULE in the show ring...

Showing by" type alone " will improve our breed, and lend credibility to our club. Again, let me commend our BOD.... WELL DONE!!!!

Jackie

What about the breeders who take a Congress Champion Modern or Modern Pleasure pony and then turn around and show that pony as a Classic? Shouldn't they be being asked to explain themselves also? Doesn't that in and of itself undermine a system based upon judging by type?

A person can point fingers all they want but that doesn't change the fact that the BOD made a decision that effects every single breeder of American Shetland Ponies - be they Modern, Modern Pleasure, Classic, or Foundation without allowing time for those breeders to voice their thoughts on the subject.

I like showing by type but the Judges will have to be the ones to stand up and enforce this because this past weekend I saw a pony in the foundation class that should have been shown as a classic and possibly could have gone modern pleasure because this pony sure did have some lift. Well guess what this pony took a second place and a Reserve Champion and I sure am glad that the Grand Champion was a true foundation pony. I even consulted with another person who happens to be a Judge and they agreed with me that the pony was definately not Foundation type.

There were other ponies in the class that were also foundation and should have placed above the 2nd place mare so the Judges better step up to the plate and tell these people they are in the WRONG class or IMO you might as well keep your true Foundation ponies at home. But wait I guess we can make another class for them just like they did in the drivng with the new Western Pleasure class.
default_no.gif

Back