Non-dwarf question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckmini

Reaction score
I know is is a non-dwarf question, and maybe you cannot answer it, but I have always wondered what the connection is between coat color and the gi tract in horses? To clarify, why do lethal white foals die due to issues in the intestine? Are these gene's loci on the same chromosome?

I've just always wondered.

"I know is is a non-dwarf question, and maybe you cannot answer it, but I have always wondered what the connection is between coat color and the gi tract in horses? To clarify, why do lethal white foals die due to issues in the intestine? Are these gene's loci on the same chromosome?

I've just always wondered."

Here is the NCBI link that briefly explains the answer to your question, and gives links to other research papers that are about the disease and the color link.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?d...20white%20overo

If it does not go to NCBI let me know.

The mutation in the gene that causes the lack of coat color migration (ie pigmantation) is also responsible for nerve cell development of the neural crest stem cells. It is a little complicated to try and explain all of this in embryonic development terms without using diagrams and a lot of typing so you might want to google embryo development stages and you will probably be able to find really good pics.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back