I have two questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teresa

Reaction score
What is your hypothesis for your thesis?

Have you seen any coorelation between dwarfism and color?

You asked for blood samples several years ago, how long are these samples stable for your test and how long do you hold them?

"What is your hypothesis for your thesis?"

My hypothesis is that there are multiple types of dwarfisms in the Miniature breed. Each of these types are very consistent in characteristics. Each type is showing simple autosomal recessive inheritance so far. Each type is distinct. I am using candidate gene approach of different mammal species that have similar looking diseases and have known genes and mutations.

My first defense is for the most common dwarfism seen. I have labelled it simply as type 1. The reasean is depending on what gene is actually involved will help determine the actual name of this type. I have two possible candidate genes, I have multiple samples and families from all pedigree backgrounds. I am trying to see if one of these genes is linked to the type seen. I first have to prove that before I can get support to start sequencing the candidate gene from dwarf samples to try and find the mutation.

"Have you seen any coorelation between dwarfism and color?"

There is absolutely NO correlation between color and dwarfism. I have seen dwarfs of every color, and I mean every color.

"You asked for blood samples several years ago, how long are these samples stable for your test and how long do you hold them? "

If you sent me samples I still have the DNA. That is if you sent it to me and not another lab.

When the DNA is isolated from blood and stored in proper media for long term storage at -70 degrees it can last for 50+ YRS AT LEAST. Since DNA really hasnt been isolated since much before 1950's it is hard to really know. And the media they were stored in back then is not as good as the media now. So it could last for 100+ years. We dont know that yet, it hasnt been a 100 yrs yet since DNA has been isolated.

But you cannot store blood frozen and expect the DNA to be stable, it will break down and become worthless. Storing DNA is not storing it in liquid nitrogen like they do for cord blood in humans, it is totally different.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back