dominant & recessive genes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern_Heart

Reaction score
John,

Thank you so much for answering all these questions on the board. It helps us all learn and understand a bit more about dwarfism and I find the topics very interesting.

Here are my 2 questions and Thank you for your time.

Joyce

1.) Do you think that the dominant gene and the recessive gene in horses function the same way as they do in humans?

I was reading that a dominant inheritance in humans can include a form of dwarfism.

2.) Also which sex of the equine seem to be more effected by the dwarf gene, the fillies or the colts, or do you think that its about even?

Joyce,

1.) Do you think that the dominant gene and the recessive gene in horses function the same way as they do in humans?

I was reading that a dominant inheritance in humans can include a form of dwarfism.

Dominant and recessive genes function the same way in all organisms; plants, animals, invertabrates, bacteria, viruses etc.

Yes there is a dominant type called ACH in humans, it has been discussed numerous times in some of these threads, one is in the "Response to PM from nightflight" thread.

2.) Also which sex of the equine seem to be more effected by the dwarf gene, the fillies or the colts, or do you think that its about even?

Neither are affected more, they are affected the same.

the types of dwarfism I have seen in te Miniatures is NOT sex specific, meaning, the genes are autosomal recessive in their inheritance and non-sexlinked. The same number of fillies as colts would be affected.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back